ESPN+ on T Hunter at Iverson Classic

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
"Tyrese Hunter, 6-1, PG, Saint Catherine's High School, Wisconsin (Iowa State)

i
Hunter had a

Nice!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
"Tyrese Hunter, 6-1, PG, Saint Catherine's High School, Wisconsin (Iowa State)

Hunter

Nice!!!!
I didn't realize he was a "very young" HS Senior this year. That should be to his advantage, and maybe ours too. He could easily play 3 years at ISU and still be quite young in the eyes of the NBA, if at that point he is able to go.

Kind of similar to THT though. He was pretty young too, played only 1 year at ISU.

I'm trying to rationalize him being here longer vs. shorter.

Last edited by a moderator:

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
I didn't realize he was a "very young" HS Senior this this. That should be to his advantage, and maybe ours too. He could easily play 3 years at ISU and still be quite young in the eyes of the NBA, if at that point he is able to go.

Kind of similar to THT though. He was pretty young too, played only 1 year at ISU.

I'm trying to rationalize him being here longer vs. shorter.

THT had freakish length/wingspan for a small forward. Haliburton fits in that mold as well as a guard.

Hunter doesn't have the measurables in terms of size/length that would grab the attention of NBA scouts.

No expert here but in terms of NBA prospect I'd think Hunter is more comparable to Wigginton than THT/Haliburton. Certainly want the best for him but hopefully he will be around for a few years.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
No expert here but in terms of NBA prospect I'd think Hunter is more comparable to Wigginton than THT/Haliburton. Certainly want the best for him but hopefully he will be around for a few years.
Please don’t compare him to Wigginton. Tyrese can actually handle the ball in traffic, can be shifty and penetrate for more than just big dunks—and actually makes a point of playmaking and passing to his teammates.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Please don’t compare him to Wigginton. Tyrese can actually handle the ball in traffic, can be shifty and penetrate for more than just big dunks—and actually makes a point of playmaking and passing to his teammates.

Maybe you misread my entire post stating he is pretty darn short and doesn't necessarily have better than average length either. Want me to compare him to Monte Morris instead? If I was to throw a random guess out there I will say three years.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
THT had freakish length/wingspan for a small forward. Haliburton fits in that mold as well as a guard.

Hunter doesn't have the measurables in terms of size/length that would grab the attention of NBA scouts.

I think Hunter will probably have to prove more and really show out to get first round interest early given his size. The opportunity is there, though, and if he plays himself into that level of draft hype it can likely only mean good things for Iowa State this year.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Maybe you misread my entire post stating he is pretty darn short and doesn't necessarily have better than average length either. Want me to compare him to Monte Morris instead? If I was to throw a random guess out there I will say three years.
You literally said he was comparable to Wigginton.

He’s not comparable to Monte, either. There is no one I’ve seen in the last forty years of watching ISU BB who has the package that Tyrese does.

Before anyone says it, that includes Will Blalock.

I really like the future of this program.

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015

He’s not comparable to Monte, either. There is no one I’ve seen in the last forty years of watching ISU BB who has the package that Tyrese does.

They said “more comparable to Wigginton than THT/Halliburton”. Why is that a controversial statement?

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013

Comparable to Wigginton in regards to his height and length being a bit of a detriment to his NBA stock. You then went off the deep end with your vitriol for Wigginton.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

Comparable to Wigginton in regards to his height and length being a bit of a detriment to his NBA stock.
No doubt the NBA is looking for the larger guards, in the 6-4 to 6-7 range even. That is one reason THT and Haliburton went early. Also they were pretty good.

Smaller guards have to be pretty special to stand out. Let's name a few that did pretty darn well. Maybe keep them similar size, frame, game as Hunter or Hunter potential.
Alan Iverson (comes to mind after the Iverson Classic)
Chris Paul ( I think he is pretty short, 6-0 to 6-1?)
Go...

IP Guy

Jun 16, 2007
OK, if we are just doing height (and not skills) comparisons, let's just go with Trae Young.

If we are doing skills, I'd say somewhere between a Tinsley and a Ja Morant (in other words, good enough shooters, but primarily explosive drivers/creators who have good court vision).

Reactions: t-noah

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
OK, if we are just doing height (and not skills) comparisons, let's just go with Trae Young.

If we are doing skills, I'd say somewhere between a Tinsley and a Ja Morant (in other words, good enough shooters, but primarily explosive drivers/creators who have good court vision).
Ja is a decent comparison. I don't think Hunter has quite that court vision yet. I think that is what he will need to develop the most. Being that short in the NBA means you have to be able to not only create for yourself but create for others as well.

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
No doubt the NBA is looking for the larger guards, in the 6-4 to 6-7 range even. That is one reason THT and Haliburton went early. Also they were pretty good.

Smaller guards have to be pretty special to stand out. Let's name a few that did pretty darn well. Maybe keep them similar size, frame, game as Hunter or Hunter potential.
Alan Iverson (comes to mind after the Iverson Classic)
Chris Paul ( I think he is pretty short, 6-0 to 6-1?)
Go...
Bob Cousy

• Haha
Reactions: 2020cy