Engineering Degree

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Production schedules and quotas are definitely decided by management and not engineers. An engineer might say it's impossible (lie) unless we do XYZ but then management makes the decision and engineers have to get it done.
Not disagreeing with you that leadership makes those calls but in a lot of companies that heavily utilize engineers the leadership tend to have engineering backgrounds. Not all the leadership and it certainly isn’t mandatory but in many cases they go hand in hand.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
As I am quickly reaching my retirement from an engineering career, I have have the opportunity to hire lots of young engineers. One thing that stands out is that some are book smart engineers and some where natural engineers. The natural engineers seem to be happier with their engineering choice, the book smart engineers tend to look for other opportunities as their careers grow. The natural engineers have a knack for understanding how things work and mostly have outside interests in fixing and repairing things. Cars, house projects, coding, etc. Does your student enjoy working with stuff? Being good with math is one talent, but physics may be a better indicator of a successful engineering path. Physics explains how things work. Don’t be in a big rush to pick a certain flavor of engineering until your student experiences the basic stuff. They will find out that they love coding or hate computers. Can they visualize things in 3D? Mechanical design may be their talent. There are lots of options, no need to pick one now.

This. I'm one of those book smart engineers. Never really geeked out about any of it, but just kept trucking through it because of lack of creativity in what was possible in college.

My career is still in engineering, and I'm doing fine down the supervisor / project management route. But if I'm being honest, the technical stuff was never a passion.

More than anything, this might speak to the broad value of an engineering degree I suppose.

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
Are co-op opportunities the same as internships, and are either paid? As of now, I think he plans on coming home for summers, but maybe he should think about staying in TX for these kind of summer opportunities.

Both are usually paid (for engineers anyway). Co-ops and internships are similar, but co-ops typically have multiple terms, often alternating work/school/work with the same employer. If he gets in with a company he likes and the feeling is mutual, this can be a great way to have increasing responsibilities throughout subsequent terms and give him a good idea of what it would be like to work there. Stay open to the idea of working a semester or two during the school year if the right opportunity comes around.

Also will throw this out there since it is one of my few regrets and haven't seen it mentioned anywhere: do a study abroad semester, especially if he's on scholarship and can stay on track with his coursework. The Iowa State Aero program had a relationship with TU Delft in the Netherlands that I really wish I would have done. I'm sure Tech has something similar with other universities.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Are co-op opportunities the same as internships, and are either paid? As of now, I think he plans on coming home for summers, but maybe he should think about staying in TX for these kind of summer opportunities.
This has probably been answered already but in my experience internships are summer only while co-ops are a summer plus a semester. Both are paid. Co-ops usually still register as full time students during the semester they are working, just don't have any classes. That let's them keep scholarships/grants and continue to defer loans. And both could be nationwide - in TX, IA or anywhere in between. Sometimes the employer provides housing too.

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
Take business classes as electives when possible. accounting - finance - Econ all are helpful when entering the corporate world.

• Agree
Reactions: Dopey

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
Both are usually paid (for engineers anyway). Co-ops and internships are similar, but co-ops typically have multiple terms, often alternating work/school/work with the same employer. If he gets in with a company he likes and the feeling is mutual, this can be a great way to have increasing responsibilities throughout subsequent terms and give him a good idea of what it would be like to work there. Stay open to the idea of working a semester or two during the school year if the right opportunity comes around.

Also will throw this out there since it is one of my few regrets and haven't seen it mentioned anywhere: do a study abroad semester, especially if he's on scholarship and can stay on track with his coursework. The Iowa State Aero program had a relationship with TU Delft in the Netherlands that I really wish I would have done. I'm sure Tech has something similar with other universities.
Thanks for the explanation. And, one of the things he liked about TTU's engineering program is that there is a study abroad requirement. They have a relationship with a school in Spain

Reactions: aobie and LeaningCy

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Chemical Engineer here. The faster he is sure, the sooner he should declare a specialized engineering field. It will get him an in college advisor which will be far more useful over his tenure in keeping on track and pursuing internships and in house research options.

100% this. It really doesn’t do you much good to wait 1.5-2 years before you decide which type of engineering you want to do. You won’t get much exposure to those specific engineering disciplines in the first 2 years anyway. Best to talk to a ton of people in various engineering fields and then decide where you want to go. You can always change later if you want but I’d say that’s a significantly better approach than being “undecided” for 1-2 years. (FWIW, I was in school 20 years ago and have no idea how much has changed since then).

I went into civil and never looked back, a lot you can do with that degree. Industrial and chemical also seem to be pretty diverse in their post-college opportunities.

Reactions: isucyfan

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Texas Tech GPA Conversion factor = ISU GPA x 0.75

So out of curiosity is there some reality behind this or just academic trash talking. I scroll through Surly Horns some you'd swear that school is the MIT of the south. I've always wondered if their academics are as overhyped as their sports teams.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
So out of curiosity is there some reality behind this or just academic trash talking. I scroll through Surly Horns some you'd swear that school is the MIT of the south. I've always wondered if their academics are as overhyped as their sports teams.
If I had to guess I would imagine TTU is 9th in the current Big 12 just ahead of WVU in terms of academics.

This is only based on conversation not me looking up anything

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
If I had to guess I would imagine TTU is 9th in the current Big 12 just ahead of WVU in terms of academics.

This is only based on conversation not me looking up anything

Most engineering employers don't really give a crap where the school ranks. I'd say most care about:

1. You got an engineering degree (from any accredited school)
2. Work/internship history (you ever build anything or have experience in this field from other jobs?)
3. Extracurriculars (think built a house with Habitat for Humanity vs. something like President of Alpha Beta Zeta Omega Zeus)
4. Personality fit (interview vibe)

That fact that your engineering degree was from K-State vs. Texas Tech vs. Iowa State vs. Texas is waaaaaay down on the list. Probably last.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Most engineering employers don't really give a crap where the school ranks. I'd say most care about:

1. You got an engineering degree (from any accredited school)
2. Work/internship history (you ever build anything or have experience in this field from other jobs?)
3. Extracurriculars (think built a house with Habitat for Humanity vs. something like President of Alpha Beta Zeta Omega Zeus)
4. Personality fit (interview vibe)

That fact that your engineering degree was from K-State vs. Texas Tech vs. Iowa State vs. Texas is waaaaaay down on the list. Probably last.
Some companies do have relationships with certain university’s that act as feeder systems. Also the higher ranked the university the better those internships will typically be. However once you got the interview it’s not like where you graduated from is going to be a deal breaker.

Reactions: CycloneNorth

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I'll throw in on the engineering decision thing.

My freshman year at ISU ('03) I went in as engineering undecided (undecrlared?). Ended up going the civil engineering route (and it was the correct decision). After the first year, you'll need to definetly have made a decision on a course. Maybe not the exact degree if he's still unsure, but a general direction. I'd say after the third semester you'd be hard pressed to not be delayed a semester or two if he makes a major major change. By that point you are starting to get into some focused classes.

I will say that if he does pursue an engineering degree, having some business / business law definitely helps later on in the career. I'm learning knew stuff about accounting every day in my current role.

Reactions: Lewey24

ABECyguy

Nov 14, 2019
Ames
All great comments, even with some good-natured ribbing from our business friends. Here's my two cents (edit: this might be ten cents with how long my post is) as a recent grad and current PhD student in Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering.

First, both my dad and grandpa were engineers (Dad was ChemE -- he chose his major exactly the same way as Yellow Snow, and Grandpa was an Electrical Engineer), so that definitely influenced my desire to be an engineer. I was strong in math and science (and pretty much all subjects) in high school, similar to the OP's son, but I chose engineering because I wanted to solve problems and the potential for a high salary.
Gods honest truth.

I picked Chem E. as my engineering discipline right off the bat. At orientation for the "sciences" majors they handed out a pamphlet of the median salaries that recent engineering graduates made. Chemical Engineering was the highest so I picked that and went for it.

I chose AgEng, specifically focusing on land and water resources, right away as I knew I wanted to be in an environmental area and solve problems around ag sustainability. Declaring a specific discipline right away does help make sure you get on track for prereqs and get placed in course sections with other students in your specific major. But, as others have said, many of the first and even second year classes are the same for all engineering majors (Calc, Chem, Physics, English, Intro to engineering problem solving, etc.) so its easy to stay on track if you are undeclared or switch majors. FriendlySpartan makes a great point about the AP credits: it can be highly beneficial to take the college course even if you have the AP credit - especially for a Calc or Physics. Taking those fundamental courses again at the college level (faster pace, more self-motivated studying) will make sure you really understand the material. And, it should be easier to get good grades in those classes, which would be highly beneficial for the OP's son to keep the high GPA.

So I had a very similar scenario when I started undergrad and I’m going to pass along the same advice that helped me. Take the credits for the Econ, history, English. Do not take the credits for the sciences. Take the classes again so that the info is fresh and you might learn a couple other important things that weren’t covered in the AP classes. For a freshman this helps you establish an excellent GPA while adapting to living on a college campus. Since he is on scholarship it makes even more sense to do this then for a normal undergrad.

Speaking of GPA, I didn't have trouble with keeping a high GPA, but maybe that's why I'm a PhD student now :D. However, I worked very hard freshman and sophomore year on calc, chem, physics, etc and that set me up for success later on. Establishing a good GPA in your first year will give you some wiggle room as you go on -- and that likely means you've developed good study habits.

For engineering in general, a lot of the knowledge/skills are the same across disciplines, but just applied in different ways. Think fluid mechanics for air drag with cars and planes in Aero E and ME vs fluid mechanics for water flow in hydrology, pipes, hydraulics in ME, CE, AgE. So yes, a degree in any sort of engineering can often be applied in other fields.

I'd echo all of the other comments advocating for internships, co-ops, job shadows, on-campus research jobs, etc. And the comments advocating for computer/software engineering. Programming and data skills are IN now and will continue to be. Basic programming is included in all engineering curricula at ISU as far as I'm aware, but it's pretty basic unless you're in those specific majors. The one caveat with that is not everyone enjoys coding, so maybe that's where you choose the engineering major most interesting to you and supplement it with a couple additional coding/data classes to get those skills.

TL;DR: Engineering good. Hard to go wrong, even if the specific degree isn't your true passion.

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
You have people that lie
Production schedules and quotas are definitely decided by management and not engineers. An engineer might say it's impossible (lie) unless we do XYZ but then management makes the decision and engineers have to get it done.
Right LOL

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Son-in-law is an Aerospace Engineer. 4 year degree + final year internship 0 pay required for degree. Immediate good job post grad w/ grad school paid by employer over 3 year period of employment for Masters @ UConn. I have a son w/MBA @ Wash U (St.Lou) who has negotiated billion $ contracts for airplane production. I asked him what does he do if he is asked a technical production question and he said he takes a couple engineers along to handle those questions. I asked what happens if they ask the engineers about costs? He said they never worry about that, engineers don’t know anything about money!

• Funny
Reactions: cyclone13

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron