El Bait Shop needs more beers on tap...

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
...apparently.

On Beer with Bruno this morning, Bruno mentioned they were in the process of adding to their 185 handles. If I heard correctly, they are adding 23 to put them over the 200 threshold.

It is hard to believe that demand dictates they can expand even further, but obviously it does.

As an aside, I'm not sure I've ever eaten there? Tend to head over to High Life if in the area and hungry. Is their anything on their menu worth checking out sometime?

<edited - website says they have 185 currently>
http://elbaitshop.com/

Last edited:

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
...apparently.

On Beer with Bruno this morning, Bruno mentioned they where in the process of adding to their 283 handles. If I heard correctly, they are adding 23 to put them over the 200 threshold.

It is hard to believe that demand dictates they can expand even further, but obviously it does.

As an aside, I'm not sure I've ever eaten there? Tend to head over to High Life if in the area and hungry. Is their anything on their menu worth checking out sometime?

buffalo chicken egg rolls

Brentwood

Jun 25, 2008
Altoona
...apparently.

On Beer with Bruno this morning, Bruno mentioned they where in the process of adding to their 283 handles. If I heard correctly, they are adding 23 to put them over the 200 threshold.

Your numbers were messed up, they are adding 38 to put them at 222 total handles. Also if you have ate at High Life then you have ate at El Bait they share a menu and kitchen.

I always prefer El Bait because of the beer selection.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
While I find it fun when a place has X amount of beers on tap, if I'm going to eat I'd prefer a place that has 5-6 really good beers on tap that can also compliment the food.

I have a friend who was in the industry that told me how when a place has a ton of beers, it's probably not great quality due to how long it's tapped, and gaps in cleaning out the taps, equipment, etc.

It also helps if the beers are all from in state. There's a spot in Cedar Rapids that advertises it's 150 beers or whatever but there's maybe 4 from Iowa.

Jerms

May 13, 2011
Atlantic, IA
Your numbers were messed up, they are adding 38 to put them at 222 total handles. Also if you have ate at High Life then you have ate at El Bait they share a menu and kitchen.

I always prefer El Bait because of the beer selection.

Confused on math here: 283+23=200 or 283+38=222?

They either currently have less than 200 or they will have more than 300.

Last edited:

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
While I find it fun when a place has X amount of beers on tap, if I'm going to eat I'd prefer a place that has 5-6 really good beers on tap that can also compliment the food.

I have a friend who was in the industry that told me how when a place has a ton of beers, it's probably not great quality due to how long it's tapped, and gaps in cleaning out the taps, equipment, etc.

It also helps if the beers are all from in state. There's a spot in Cedar Rapids that advertises it's 150 beers or whatever but there's maybe 4 from Iowa.
El Bait is really good about not letting kegs be tapped for very long. Most of their kegs don't last more than a couple of weeks and if they do they put the beer on special to help get rid of it. They constantly have new stuff coming in so they can't have unwanted beer taking up space. There is a reason El Bait is constantly praised as one of the best craft beer bars in the country.

larry

Apr 11, 2006
iowa city
There's also that irritation of spending ten minutes perusing the 230+ options, picking one out, and having the server come back 10 minutes later saying it is tapped out--try again.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

El Bait Shop isn't like your average bar. I've been to a LOT of bars all over the world and I've never seen a better selection of quality choices. In most places I can pick out a beer I want within 20 seconds. At EBS I actually research before I go into the place so I don't miss out on something special.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
There's also that irritation of spending ten minutes perusing the 230+ options, picking one out, and having the server come back 10 minutes later saying it is tapped out--try again.

This does annoy me. Bier Station in KC has the best solution that I've seen to this problem. They have digital displays that show how much of the keg is left.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

Don't mean to be rude, but that is just applying a general opinion to a place you know nothing or little about. They are really good about keeping kegs fresh and monitoring closely. If one isn't moving, you'll see a sale tag on the handle to be sure they get through it while it is still good.

This isn't just some bar with a lot of beer on tap that is known by the locals. From my understanding, just about anyone in the industry is familiar with this place.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

I know of no location in Cedar Rapids with 150 beers on tap. Parlor City is probably what you're talking about. They are at 56 with definitely single digit Iowa beers, but from time-to-time they'll have a tap takeover by one of the Iowa breweries.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I was there Saturday night and couldn't believe how many taps that were covered because they ran out. I think expansion is justified.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Don't mean to be rude, but that is just applying a general opinion to a place you know nothing or little about. They are really good about keeping kegs fresh and monitoring closely. If one isn't moving, you'll see a sale tag on the handle to be sure they get through it while it is still good.

This isn't just some bar with a lot of beer on tap that is known by the locals. From my understanding, just about anyone in the industry is familiar with this place.

Not saying they don't take care of things there. I just don't get all that excited about places that have hundredes of beers on tap.

I've 'experienced' El Bait Shop a few years ago. Heard a lot about it, got there, and it felt like a fun bar.

Good to know they take care of things.

rbrook

Mar 23, 2006
Newton, IA
Visit site

The Iowa Tap Room is owned by El Bait Shop and it has 120 Taps of only Iowa made craft beer. They sell food there too.

CySmitty

Jan 3, 2008
Longmont, CO
I dont know about El bait shop but I know of one restaurant around my town that carries about 50 beers and I have heard from multiple sources they clean their line every two weeks. I would bet the el bait shop clean pretty regularly too.