Early signing period proposed by NCAA

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Early signing in June and reign in satellite camps. Possibly coming soon.

Reactions: Erik4Cy

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
This would be good for ISU, right?

In most cases, yeah. When they land verbals from stud recruits (Kam White) they wouldn't have to spend the next year fighting to keep them until NSD arrives (assuming the recruit wants to sign early). More importantly, it's good for the recruits. The ones who just want to pick a school and put an end to the process early will now have that option. I'm sure there are some negatives, but overall this is a win for recruits and non-bluebloods.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
I think it could really benefit ISU to lock up guys they really want that other programs are behind on scouting. Hell, I wish it was earlier than December, but would be hard on coaches to pull off mid-week in october or whatever as they prep for a game.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
This would have come in handy for Quran Hafiz and Octavious Morgan. Other schools were able to convince them to reopen their recruitment even though both committed and were pumped to come to ISU.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
I guess the ending of satellite camps probably had a little something to do with the early signing period finally getting some traction. Saban and the big boys said, "Fine, you get early signing. Just keep Harbaugh out of our territories."

I would guess that would be the case. Danny Mac was a big propnent of an early signing period wasn't he.

A lot depends how many kids commit early and sign. Still not sure if it will help ISU a lot or just move the poaching window ups a couple of months.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I would guess that would be the case. Danny Mac was a big propnent of an early signing period wasn't he.

A lot depends how many kids commit early and sign. Still not sure if it will help ISU a lot or just move the poaching window ups a couple of months.

You're probably right. The big boys likely wouldn't have signed off on it if they hadn't already dreamed up a couple ways to work around it. But people will always try to find ways to game any system. This isn't a perfect solution but it's surely better than what's in place now.

CRCy

Sep 13, 2016
The NCAA doing something to benefit us? Now, that's a first.

This is great news for ISU and any other non blue blood program and more importantly great for the kids.

Those that want to commit early and focus on their schooling and quit having to deal with non stop phone calls, texts, letters, etc. it's perfect.

The reason the blue blood schools are against it is it makes it more difficult for them to come in last minute and steal a kid away from another school when they miss on their top targets. It also makes the blue bloods actually be committed to kids instead of cutting them loose at the last minute when someone they like better comes along late in the game.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
This would have come in handy for Quran Hafiz and Octavious Morgan. Other schools were able to convince them to reopen their recruitment even though both committed and were pumped to come to ISU.

I like adding an early signing date so kids and schools can end the recruiting process early. However, I think kids like Hafiz and Morgan would not sign a LOI early. They would hold off to see if "better" offers come along.

Personally, I don't feel there needs to be a signing date(s). Why not allow kids to sign any day between say July 1 and Feb 1 of the following year? Just place a restriction kids can't sign a LOI within 48 or 72 hours of a kids campus visit or coaches in home visit.

• Agree
Reactions: rholtgraves

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Ya get that early signing period in so kids can withdrawl signatures. That will mix 'er up.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Why won't this be like basketball, and if a kid wants out of his LOI he'll get it or the school will look like jerks for not letting a kid out of a decision they regret.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
The key will be whether they allow official visits prior to those new signing dates. If it's December, then nothing changes, but if it's June, then they better allow spring officials. Otherwise, the only schools who will really benefit will be those close to talent (SEC).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron