Due to Pathetic Recruiting of Bigs, NCAA Streak Ending!

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Can't disagree that a head coach can't truly be evaluated until they have to play and win with the guys they recruit. There are a lot of examples of coaches who win with the prior coaches talent and then the program implodes.

I would be surprised if that happens with Prohm. The OP mentioned Beverly like he is the difference maker in getting ISU to the NCAA Tournament. I wouldn't go there, Brown is probably the guy. Guard play is critical in college hoops. If we have a backcourt/wings of Jackson, Brown, Wigginton, Weiler-Babb, Long or Lewis- I think we are near the top of the Big 12. Beverly is a piece of the puzzle up front. If we can get 25pt & 15rbd/ game from Young, Lard, Kosango and Beverly- we should be pretty solid.

IMO if we wiff on Brown- then getting to the NCAA Tournament might be a challege. We would have to get- upside production from Lard, Wigginton and Lewis. I'm talking 35+ ppg.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
Hate to say, but still not sold on Coach. I get it. He's new, he got lucky to inherit a great team from a Cyclone icon who hangs in the rafters, but let's call a spade a spade. Are some of transfers the best we can expect?

Let's recap, we beat Kansas but got bounced in the round of 32, lose one of the best guards Iowa State has ever seen and practically half of the team is leaving with over 60 points needing to be replaced.

Good thing we have ... oh.

I'm still waiting for Coach's southern connections to come through. Can't get too excited about the media reporting we might get a severely undersized "forward" looking for his fourth college in four years that is reported to struggle playing "above the rim consistently." What a joke.

If these recruiting "efforts" are going to fix our gaping hole in the front court, good luck with that.

_______

I am, of course, talking about Iowa State in 1995.

The undersized "forward" was Kenny Pratt, who averaged 15 points a game, despite Coach Tim Floyd claiming he was really 6'2". (Shades of Jeff Beverly?)

Elsewhere, Dedric Willoughby averaged only 9 points as a sophomore at New Orleans, but made a big leap forward in his junior season. (Shades of, dare I say, Baby Babb?)

Shawn Bankhead came from the nationally acclaimed basketball school Southern Idaho. Kelvin Cato was from South Alabama and was a raw 6'10" athlete with springy skills that Floyd just had to take a chance on. (Shades of Lard?)

Some of my favorite teams have been the young ones with low expectations. Will be interesting to see the team come together next season!
Thought this was someone trolling at first

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
After following the B1G basketball thread for several weeks (yeah, I know, I'm wasting my time - but some of it is entertaining), I thought sure when I read the title thread that HawkeyeMashup or FrostyMitchellMilitia had decided enough was enough and had taken matters in their own hands.

Great post.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
That's gold Jerry....Gold!
giphy.gif

Reactions: heitclone

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Read the topic header, ready to come in breathing fire, now I gotta find a topic header AND post that actually piss me off so I can release this rage. Ready to go full David Banner only to having no bad guy to go David Banner on.

Even clonedude has been reasonable lately, pickings are getting slim around here :)

• Funny
Reactions: no2cyclones

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Hate to say, but still not sold on Coach. I get it. He's new, he got lucky to inherit a great team from a Cyclone icon who hangs in the rafters, but let's call a spade a spade. Are some of transfers the best we can expect?

Let's recap, we beat Kansas but got bounced in the round of 32, lose one of the best guards Iowa State has ever seen and practically half of the team is leaving with over 60 points needing to be replaced.

Good thing we have ... oh.

I'm still waiting for Coach's southern connections to come through. Can't get too excited about the media reporting we might get a severely undersized "forward" looking for his fourth college in four years that is reported to struggle playing "above the rim consistently." What a joke.

If these recruiting "efforts" are going to fix our gaping hole in the front court, good luck with that.

_______

I am, of course, talking about Iowa State in 1995.

The undersized "forward" was Kenny Pratt, who averaged 15 points a game, despite Coach Tim Floyd claiming he was really 6'2". (Shades of Jeff Beverly?)

Elsewhere, Dedric Willoughby averaged only 9 points as a sophomore at New Orleans, but made a big leap forward in his junior season. (Shades of, dare I say, Baby Babb?)

Shawn Bankhead came from the nationally acclaimed basketball school Southern Idaho. Kelvin Cato was from South Alabama and was a raw 6'10" athlete with springy skills that Floyd just had to take a chance on. (Shades of Lard?)

Some of my favorite teams have been the young ones with low expectations. Will be interesting to see the team come together next season!
Wait...Oh, OK. Consider the pot stirred. We have to have something to read, think about, before football season. Always a pleasure!

Cyclone Rebel

Apr 28, 2017
Can't disagree that a head coach can't truly be evaluated until they have to play and win with the guys they recruit. There are a lot of examples of coaches who win with the prior coaches talent and then the program implodes.

I can give you a perfect example of that. Dave Rice.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
If you guys knew Kagavi's father like I do, you would know that he has to be a positive person. The entire family can take a licking and keep on ticking. They only grow stronger when confronted with challenges.

Help Support Us

Become a patron