drop / buy out U-Conn.

fanaticagain

Jun 6, 2009
No, those are called facts. And who's to say mizzou wouldn't have lost every game to Iowa? Mizzou replaced Iowa with cupcakes and won.
It helped build their record over the last 5 years.

I'm still not getting it. If Mizzou replaced Iowa with Illinois, Illinois isn't exactly a cupcake. And Iowa replaced Mizzou with Pitt and Syracuse? How are those any easier than UConn?

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
I'm still not getting it. If Mizzou replaced Iowa with Illinois, Illinois isn't exactly a cupcake. And Iowa replaced Mizzou with Pitt and Syracuse? How are those any easier than UConn?

Forget Iowa. Forget UConn. Focus on Mizzou.

Mizzou dropped Iowa. It made Mizzou's schedule easier. Mizzou won the easier games. Mizzou's record improved. Iowa State could do the same thing.

Ok, I can no longer help you. Either you get it or you don't and this is wasting my time. Maybe tomorrow night.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
And once we drop Iowa and mid-majors, someone will be begging to schedule extra FCS opponents or dropping resurgent C-USA/WAC/MAC/Sun Belt teams that are suddenly good, just so we can sneak into a bowl with a 3-6 Big 12 record.

Beat somebody.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Forget Iowa. Forget UConn. Focus on Mizzou.

Mizzou dropped Iowa. It made Mizzou's schedule easier. Mizzou won the easier games. Mizzou's record improved. Iowa State could do the same thing.

Ok, I can no longer help you. Either you get it or you don't and this is wasting my time. Maybe tomorrow night.

So Missouri goes 8-4 instead of 7-5. In the grand scheme of things, that didn't improve them much bowl wise.

The only real important areas of bowl improvement are getting bowl eligbile and getting to the BCS/Cotton bowl. The rest are pretty much a wash. Sure, it would be nice for us fans to go to the Alamo or Insight or Holiday, but they are not much different than the Dallas, Houston or NYC bowl in the eyes of recruits.

If we are banking on beating a cupcake instead of Iowa to be bowl eligible for the next 5-10 years, then the Paul Rhoads era is a bust. If we're battling for a BCS or Cotton bowl birth, then playing Iowa actually helps our cause. In the scenario where we finish 7-5, 8-4 or 9-3 most years, I'll take playing Iowa every year even if we only beat them every other year.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
And once we drop Iowa and mid-majors, someone will be begging to schedule extra FCS opponents or dropping resurgent C-USA/WAC/MAC/Sun Belt teams that are suddenly good, just so we can sneak into a bowl with a 3-6 Big 12 record.

Beat somebody.

Is it still a rule that you can only count 1 win from a FCS school in a given year?

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
So really, it cost us nothing? I don't know about anyone else, but I can't tell you who played in the New Mexico Bowl last year, or really any of the other crappy bowls.
Exposure.

ShockRerun

Nov 8, 2010
Carroll
Well, being even Pinkel and Co. didn't think they they had a far shot to win . . .

They made the right choice. They ending up playing Illinois and owned them for the entire series.

Any big 12 team has a fair shot at beating a big east team. The big east is barley a bcs conference.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
No, those are called facts. And who's to say mizzou wouldn't have lost every game to Iowa? Mizzou replaced Iowa with cupcakes and won. It helped build their record over the last 5 years.
I agree. In the current system if you dont get to a bowl game you are considered a bad team, since over 70 teams go to a bowl. Schedule the sisters of the poor for 4-5 years, build the program and the recruits, then schedule your Utahs and UConns of the world.

ShockRerun

Nov 8, 2010
Carroll
I agree. In the current system if you dont get to a bowl game you are considered a bad team, since over 70 teams go to a bowl. Schedule the sisters of the poor for 4-5 years, build the program and the recruits, then schedule your Utahs and UConns of the world.

If ISU is not up to the UConns of the world then it is sad times for the program.
Is it a sure win, no, but to think that you cant even compete is ridiculous.

chris401

Nov 22, 2010
If we are banking on beating a cupcake instead of Iowa to be bowl eligible for the next 5-10 years, then the Paul Rhoads era is a bust. If we're battling for a BCS or Cotton bowl birth, then playing Iowa actually helps our cause. In the scenario where we finish 7-5, 8-4 or 9-3 most years, I'll take playing Iowa every year even if we only beat them every other year.

This.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
ISU's at a point where it doesn't need to play 11 BCS opponents. It already has 9 BCS opponents guaranteed. One more if you still have Iowa on the schedule. 10 BCS opponents every year is more than enough for the current state of the program. Going to bowl games is a must and this season is a perfect example of the problem with having a tough nonconference schedule. If you replace Utah with a cupcake, ISU's in a bowl game. Also, you can't say scheduling cupcakes is bad for attendance because the Utah game was one of the worst attended games of the season. ISU needs wins more than anything. Wins get you to bowl games. More wins get you to better bowl games with more exposure. More exposure gets you better recruits.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
I'd venture that we are the only team in FBS to play 11 BCS games next year. Of course when we sit at home again next winter without a bowl game we can all pat ourselves on our back about what a tough schedule we had.

Jonecy

Dec 5, 2006
3.5 Hours From Trice
I'm in the crowd that doesn't mind a tough schedule and if we ever want to compete for a Big XII title, scheduling cupcakes early won't do us any good. I also can't believe people on here are scared of playing UConn of all teams......seriously, it's Uconn, not Alabama.

We're 1 play away from clinching a bowl this year with 2 more to play.....and all of this while playing the toughest schedule in the country. The non-conf schedule didn't prevent us from a bowl game this year - some tough breaks and lack of execution down the stretch prevented us from going to another bowl game.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
I'm in the crowd that doesn't mind a tough schedule and if we ever want to compete for a Big XII title, scheduling cupcakes early won't do us any good. I also can't believe people on here are scared of playing UConn of all teams......seriously, it's Uconn, not Alabama.

We're 1 play away from clinching a bowl this year with 2 more to play.....and all of this while playing the toughest schedule in the country. The non-conf schedule didn't prevent us from a bowl game this year - some tough breaks and lack of execution down the stretch prevented us from going to another bowl game.

Who is going to go to a bowl? ISU or T-Tech? Scheduling Utah over a cup-cake unquestionably cost us a bowl.

Jonecy

Dec 5, 2006
3.5 Hours From Trice
Who is going to go to a bowl? ISU or T-Tech? Scheduling Utah over a cup-cake unquestionably cost us a bowl.

Really??....thanks for that clarification.....and here I thought we just duffed a throw in the endzone of the OT game against Nebraska, Didn't bother to show up @ Colorado and then turned the ball over/dropped many passes/missed FG's/had too many penalties/missed tackles against Mizzou.

I know what your point is, but I DISAGREE W/ YOU. Are we clear on that? You think it was the Utah game that kept us from a bowl game and I think it was the lack of execution down the stretch that kept us from a bowl game. We could have won any of those games down the stretch and none of them had to do with Utah.