drop / buy out U-Conn.

im4isu

Apr 11, 2007
New Haven
We need to look into getting out of this game next year (and I am not opposed to dropping Iowa in the future). Schedule MAC, WAC or SunBelt teams, somebody that increases the liklihood of a fast start. New big 12 will be a beast. Scheduling games that favor us at home and a fast start and a better record will lead to bigger crowds. The beatdowns wear out the fanbase (or at least me). Winning cures a lot of pain. The teams in the bottom half of the new big 12 have NO business scheduling big time non-conference games, they will play at least 4 or 5 top 25 teams in conference. Wins = bowls, bowls = $$$, $$$$ + bowls = better recruits. Let's help CPR get us off to a fast start.

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
Yea...Not so much...Not really afraid to play a 6-4, 3-2 Big East team...

arob

Nov 21, 2010
Ames, IA
i like it. you cant play cupcake teams the first 3 games of the season and then be ready to play tough big 12 teams. Look at this year, ISU played games aganist Utah and then Oklahoma, and then upset Texas

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Totally agree, but it will never happen. JP is too stubborn and ISU has already bought out Utah for $250,000.

There have been some serious administration issues the past few years. Utah game, UConn game, Arrowhead series, and no byes weeks specifically.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
No byes was forced upon him.
Arrowhead was a pretty sweet deal, in terms of guaranteed $.

I doubt this gets bought out, since we don't roll in money here, but this would be a good idea in my book.
Go get a bowl game, and play the Big East then. Or somebody else.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
i like it. you cant play cupcake teams the first 3 games of the season and then be ready to play tough big 12 teams. Look at this year, ISU played games aganist Utah and then Oklahoma, and then upset Texas

Bill Snyder diagrees. His track record is a little better than yours.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Totally agree, but it will never happen. JP is too stubborn and ISU has already bought out Utah for $250,000.

There have been some serious administration issues the past few years. Utah game, UConn game, Arrowhead series, and no byes weeks specifically.

You can pin only one of those on JP -> arrowhead. Utah/UCONN are BV decisions.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
I would be all for getting out of this game. We could easily be 1-2 in non-conference next year because of poor scheduling AGAIN.

Nothing worse than scheduling yourself out of bowl games.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

I thought we just split the gate with Utah and didn't have to buy out Utah since they were in the same boat getting rid of a non-conference game?

And Utah wasn't a powerhouse when we scheduled them. UConn didn't start playing D1 until earlier this decade.

Arrowhead series = $1.8 million reasons to play. We should've won both of those games. We didn't. There's no way to say we would have won them in Ames either.

And Baylor had the same issue with bye weeks. Coincidence? Doubt it.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
No byes was forced upon him.
Arrowhead was a pretty sweet deal, in terms of guaranteed $.

I doubt this gets bought out, since we don't roll in money here, but this would be a good idea in my book.
Go get a bowl game, and play the Big East then. Or somebody else.

No they weren't. JP is on record several times as not wanting Thanksgiving games for poor student attendance. No Thanksgiving game = No bye week. From 1991 to 2005, ISU had a bye week every season. Since 2005, ISU has had 1 bye week in 2008. Three guesses who was hired as AD in 2005?

And I agree the Arrowhead series was good for the bottom line, but there is no doubt in my mind that it cost ISU a win in 2009. No way does ISU lose that game at home.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
You can pin only one of those on JP -> arrowhead. Utah/UCONN are BV decisions.

JP has the call whether to buy games out. It was his decision not to buy out Utah this year, and it cost us a bowl game.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
No they weren't. JP is on record several times as not wanting Thanksgiving games for poor student attendance. No Thanksgiving game = No bye week. From 1991 to 2005, ISU had a bye week every season. Since 2005, ISU has had 1 bye week in 2008. Three guesses who was hired as AD in 2005?

And I agree the Arrowhead series was good for the bottom line, but there is no doubt in my mind that it cost ISU a win in 2009. No way does ISU lose that game at home.

Let's imagine that we have a guaranteed win at home, and I think that's purely imaginary right now.

Does that give us an automatic loss at KSU? Historically, we're not a great road team.

Two games came down to two plays we didn't execute. That's not a JP problem.

fccy

Dec 31, 2008
Forest City

Did we buy out Utah? I thought I saw that was a mutual decision based on conf realignment.

Arrowhead series brought in more $ than home-and-home with KSU. We (as a fanbase in general, not singling out anyone) complain about poor facilities (where is the bowled-in south end zone), don't donate the $ to upgrade facilities, and then complain when JP does things to try to bring in $ to upgrade facilities.

We have bye weeks; last year and this year was time for us to have bye weeks at ends of schedule as the Big 12 schedules those; next year we would have a bye week during the season if we still had a 12-team conference: how is that JP's fault?

Do we need to schedule some cupcakes? Yes, but not all of our non-conf can be cupcakes.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
JP has the call whether to buy games out. It was his decision not to buy out Utah this year, and it cost us a bowl game.

So really, it cost us nothing? I don't know about anyone else, but I can't tell you who played in the New Mexico Bowl last year, or really any of the other crappy bowls.