Drake peaked too early?

jDub

Mar 23, 2006
Waukee
My thought a couple weeks ago was that Drake was playing just about as well as possible. The last two losses, while not horrible, show they're vulnerable to less than stellar teams. The upcoming game with Butler just keeps looking tougher. Here's hoping they can rebound before the Big Dance.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Butler hasn't looked unbeatable yet... It really looked like Drake got complacent. They looked overconfident the last five minutes and didn't take care of the ball, next thing you know, they're behind... I think this one, more so than the SoIll game was a wake up call...

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
I think so, yes. Atleast it sure seems that way. It's kinda like the Hawks a couple weeks ago peaking in basketball. Now they are back to being awful. Drake is in some trouble right now. They really need to stop the bleeding or they're going to end up a 7-9 seed in the Dance.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Drake has looked vulnerable all season. They've just always managed to pull out the wins in the end. Well, almost always. :)

They've got a shot at making a deep run in the NCAA's, but I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if they make the sweet 16.

cyclonefan101

Feb 19, 2008
Butler hasn't looked unbeatable yet... It really looked like Drake got complacent. They looked overconfident the last five minutes and didn't take care of the ball, next thing you know, they're behind... I think this one, more so than the SoIll game was a wake up call...

Butler did lose to Cleveland State if I remember right.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Most of the so called pundits don't think Drake is a that good of a team and would love nothing more to be proven correct with a bunch of late season losses.

I'll be surprised if Drake walks away from Butler with a W and that will be 3 losses in the last 4 games.

I'm rooting big time for Drake, but I also don't think they'll win the Conf. tournament. I see 2 in from Mo Valley because of that and Drake at a 9 seed.

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa
Drake won several games that were decided by 3 points or less. Games that close can get away, the 2 losses were by 1 point? each. Doesn't signify a collapse. However, the MV is very average this year. Drake had a good loss to St. Mary's and a good win over San Diego at Christmas, but they are not now or ever have been more than a 7-8-9 seed. They can shoot threes, and play pretty good defense. They had a total of 4 turnovers in the UNI game, but the turnovers really hurt them last night.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Drake's problem is that they are a TIRED B-BALL TEAM and they're legs are gone and thats why the shots they were making a month ago are now clanking off the rim..also late in the game Bradley was getting all the rebounds ...another sign of tired legs.

I see no way drake can beat butler on the road come saturday. I think that Drake is gonna limp into the post season and be one and done in the big dance!

Great Season but a Lousy Finish...Tired Teams do things like that...:yes:

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I think that to a certain extent, Drake is a good team (you don't win 21 games in a row without being a good team, no matter the quality of the conference you play in), but to a certain extent, it's based on "smoke and mirrors". The backcourt is very talented, but they don't have much of a frontcourt. Their advantage (at least until last night) is that they always made the big plays and hit the huge shots when they needed to and they execute very well in the endgame (once again, until last night).

I think they'll be alright, but I would be surprised if they beat Butler on the road. I would also not be surprised if they lose early in the tournament if their three-point shooting deserts them.

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Although I am pulling for Drake to go far, I have felt for most of the season that they are somewhat of a "Fools Gold" story.

They have an excellent system, and everyone plays his own role, but they have no inside presence, and their talent level is not up to snuff to be a legit top 25 team.

They have a bunch of guys who love to jack up 3's, and if they aren't going in (see last 5 minutes last night), they don't adjust and go to Plan B. They just keep jacking them up and they let the other team back in the game.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Although I am pulling for Drake to go far, I have felt for most of the season that they are somewhat of a "Fools Gold" story.

They have an excellent system, and everyone plays his own role, but they have no inside presence, and their talent level is not up to snuff to be a legit top 25 team.

They have a bunch of guys who love to jack up 3's, and if they aren't going in (see last 5 minutes last night), they don't adjust and go to Plan B. They just keep jacking them up and they let the other team back in the game.

They do have the leading rebounder in the league and are one of the best offensive rebounding teams in the country... Their real inside presence comes from the drive.

They didn't lose the game because of missed shots, they lost it because of turnovers the last 5 minutes...

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I'll find it highly amusing if they lose their last home game as well and have to cut the nets down after a loss. Too funny.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Last night they were so streaky when it came to shooting. They would score a lot in a few mins then not score for a few mins. They just were in the not scoring mode for the last few mins last night. They did make a lot of mistakes late in the game last night as well. I have not watched them play much but it seems they dont have the greatest of athletes on the team. They do play in the system well and work thier butts off to get good results. They are also great shooters.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Does anybody know what Drake's RPI is? Have they beat any top 20 teams? Yeah they beat Iowa and ISU, but we both are terrible this year.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron