do's and don'ts of the best man's wedding speech

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Definitely a "know your crowd" moment but one of the funniest I've witnessed. The best man brought 7 or 8 keys to the wedding and handed them out to some older ladies (50-70ish) that were willing to play along. He gave the standard speech then ended it with a line about how in his earlier years the groom got around, but the bride had locked him down now and it was time for all of his previous girlfriends to give up their keys to his place. Then all of the older ladies stood up and brought the keys to the head table.

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I am also doing this in a few months for the first time. Following the thread but nothing said is world shattering.

The big discussion is do I bring up or do something with the Maid of Honor, the sister of the bride, and it's been a running joke for several years that we should date/marry. I'm leaning no since it's too inside of a joke at this point.
I would say you should do something with the maid of honor, just not infront of everyone.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah, I've been to some weddings where the "mic time" was a bit much (dads, best man, maid of honor, sisters, etc) and I've seen similar to what you shared....more a short courtship and all speeches had a weird "haven't known them long, but seem to be a great fit"
One wedding I was in, I was not the best man. The best man/maid of honor did their speeches which were fine. But then one other bridesmaid asked if she could say a few words. Then the rest of the bridesmaids felt like they each had to say something. It turned into just like you say “uh, yeah, Jack and Jill are awesome and I super love both of you and wish you the best.”

Reactions: CapnCy