Don't look now...

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
There are a lot of people who don't understand just how important RPI is for Volleyball. From my understanding, it is much more important than for things like basketball.

I get this but I don't think we want to test the limits of rpi with a losing conference record.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Cool, I don't follow Volleyball very closely but I'd gotten the impression this was going to be a rebuilding/disappointing year based on the threads I saw as the season opened. Glad to see the team is doing well down the stretch.

Last edited:

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I get this but I don't think we want to test the limits of rpi with a losing conference record.

I've been under the impression that as long as the RPI is good enough, no one cares about a losing conference record.

ISU40

Jan 8, 2012
Ames
On volleytalk, someone said that our lose to Texas Tech won't be factored into our RPI because ISU contested the lose and the NCAA agreed. Anyone know anything about this. Not that I'm sad as that was our worst lose and TT RPI is 112.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
On volleytalk, someone said that our lose to Texas Tech won't be factored into our RPI because ISU contested the lose and the NCAA agreed. Anyone know anything about this. Not that I'm sad as that was our worst lose and TT RPI is 112.
Damn replay booth official.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

Wait, what happened there?

cydney

Mar 14, 2011

I'd be curious to learn the real scoop on this.

I recall we got penalized that match in the 5th and deciding game. Gave TTU a point. Made it 9-4 instead of 8-5. I wonder if that was incorrect? It certainly could have made a difference. We outscored them 8-1 for for a stretch, and had we reached a score of 13-9, that's a much different game.

Edit: Not to mention that giving TTU a point incorrectly means they never reached 15 points to win the set!

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=4251&DB_OEM_ID=10700&ATCLID=209723889

The fifth set got off to a disastrous start for ISU, as Tech had an 8-4 lead at the switch. ISU looked ready to go after an error on Tech, but a substitution infraction awarded a point to Tech to make it 9-4 Raiders. ISU stormed back into the set, scoring five straight points, including three consecutive kills from Capezio to tie it 9-9. After a Tech point, ISU ripped off the next three points to move ahead 12-10. However, Tech combined two kills from Mikia Mills and a trio of ISU attack errors to win the final five points of the match and take the fifth 15-12.

Last edited:

ISU40

Jan 8, 2012
Ames

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Thanks for the information!

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
But our rpi is sitting at 18, two spots from being seeded and hosting the first two rounds.

The RPI is good enough to get in, but ISU would probably have to win 4 of the last 5 in order to have a chance to host 1st/2nd rounds.

TCG

Mar 9, 2011
The RPI is good enough to get in, but ISU would probably have to win 4 of the last 5 in order to have a chance to host 1st/2nd rounds.

Yea, we'll probably lose @OU and @KU, but it just amazes me that we're two spots from being seeded with our record; RPI is king in volleyball. For example, Purdue is ranked but has an rpi in the 40's, they are very close to the bubble