"don’t reward ISU for its limitations.."

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Wow, the delusion and arrogance are wrapped up nicely in one letter:

http://thegazette.com/subject/opini...r/dont-penalize-ui-for-its-strengths-20140725

Harvey Sollberger said:
Gov. Terry Branstad and the Iowa Board of Regents would like to divert funding from the University of Iowa to Iowa State University because a greater proportion of ISU’s students are Iowa residents.
Harvey Sollberger said:
Yet, The Gazette reports (“Task force recommends ending VEISHEA,†July 15) that this year’s ISU VEISHA disturbances “received nearly $8 million worth of TV coverage seen by 52 million viewers — $6.8 million of which was national and almost all of which was negative.â€
The Gazette also states that this year’s VEISHA incidents “happened before out-of-town guests typically arrive — meaning it primarily involved students.â€
From the foregoing I conclude that ISU should strive to emulate the University of Iowa in enrolling more mature and cosmopolitan students regardless of where they come from.
Young Iowans who attend our state universities benefit from being exposed to broader and widely diverse views of the world, not from being stuck in a fishbowl full of people like themselves.
Branstad and the Regents, don’t reward ISU for its limitations, and don’t penalize the University of Iowa for its strengths.
Harvey Sollberger
Strawberry Point
[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
This issue is hilarious. ISU has more students overall, has had more students from Iowa for quite some time...yet some want to argue it should get less funding than another state school?

If I were an Iowa or UNI grad I'd think the exact same way, how can you argue to give less to the state university that educates the most students and most Iowans?

From the reaction it seems as if Iowa high school students will be the winners whether it's from better funding allocation or Iowa reaching out to Iowa high school students more.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I guess HarveyS in Strawberry Point does not care crap about UNI either.

Last edited:

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
So much fail, Harvey.

I agree that exposure to other types of people is a great thing...but the only people Iowa kids are exposed to at UI are kids from the western suburbs. Hardly the sort of cosmopolitan set Harvey describes.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Strawberry Point, Iowa - population 1,279 very cosmopolitan residents

Vodka Sam meet Harvey Sollberger. I'm sure you both have some very cosmopolitan things to discuss

Last edited:

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
[video=vimeo;2863953]http://vimeo.com/2863953[/video]

Not really relevant, just found this when I Googled "Harvey Sollberger" and this is him.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
I've never respected the opinion of a man who plays a flute nor do I plan to start.

QCCyclone

Feb 10, 2013
Words cannot describe the level of fail in that article. Even the Hawkeye trolls on this site will hang their heads in shame at their fellow fan.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Strawberry Point, Iowa - population 1,279 very cosmopolitan residents

Vodka Sam meet Harvey Sollberger. I'm sure you both have some very cosmopolitan things to discuss

Harvey: How much vodka do you use in your cosmos?

VS:
53024105.jpg