Does the legacy of the "mayor" change after this?

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
For me, no his legacy does not change. Leaving doesn't tarnish what he HAS done, but does limit what levels it could have soared to, had he stayed and become the MBB coach with most career wins, ended Kansas string of regular season conference wins, or...dare I suggest it...taken us to a Final Four, or ....no, I won't let myself even consider that.

Fred's dad was one of my professors, and even major prof for my roomy. I worked with him on new orientation when he was in the Dean's office. I reffed games Fred played in, and even broke my wrist in the last pick-up game I played with him (no, he didn't break it). I cheered him on for years as a player. I love the renewed respect he brought back to the ISU program on a national level (eat your heart out Hawks, Fran - while successful - is no where near that) I've talked to him on plane rides when he was out recruiting. The respect he garnered from all of those things is still in tact and will remain so.

Last edited:

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
It blunts his legacy for sure. He had a chance to eclipse all other ISU coaches in history. Hilton could have been Hoiberg Coliseum someday. I believe that. The sky was the limit. Now, the Fred statue and those types of things certainly won't happen.
The timing of this makes it clear that ISU was a stepping stone for him. I love the guy. Always will. But no one can argue that ISU was a stepping stone for him!! No one. Not with the timing of this. The interview with Orlando makes it even more obvious. That's not to say I don't appreciate what he had done for us. I do. But we were, once again, a stepping stone. Even for our chosen son. Sigh....

My feelings exactly

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Maybe in Chicago?

LOL, even I can't contain my laughter at that one...

No. I suppose that might be Phil Jackson court. Fred might get a park court somewhere in Ames or Gilbert. Hopefully he doesn't have to die tragically like Chris Street, that's a nice little court in Moat's Park in Indianola.

CFH didn't accomplish as much as Larry, so not sure why we would name a court after him.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
Hoiberg should at least in part be remembered for his dishonesty with the fan base. He may have been honest with JP "since Day 1" about wanting to coach in the NBA. However, he made multiple public comments throughout the years including his introductory press conference (ironically on "Day 1") in 2010 that Iowa State was his "dream job." He also made multiple public comments about wanting to retire at Iowa State. He may have been honest "since Day 1" with JP, close colleagues, family, and close friends; however, he was not honest with the fan base. Chizik's "deeply entrenched" comments are a part of his ISU legacy. I hope Hoiberg's dishonesty with the fan base "since Day 1" is also a small part of his ISU legacy. "Since Day 1" will always mean something negative to me for the rest of my life.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Hoiberg should at least in part be remembered for his dishonesty with the fan base. He may have been honest with JP "since Day 1" about wanting to coach in the NBA. However, he made multiple public comments throughout the years including his introductory press conference (ironically on "Day 1") in 2010 that Iowa State was his "dream job." He also made multiple public comments about wanting to retire at Iowa State. He may have been honest "since Day 1" with JP, close colleagues, family, and close friends; however, he was not honest with the fan base. Chizik's "deeply entrenched" comments are a part of his ISU legacy. I hope Hoiberg's dishonesty with the fan base "since Day 1" is also a small part of his ISU legacy. "Since Day 1" will always mean something negative to me for the rest of my life.
Since what day?

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
It being his dream job doesn't mean that it was required to always be the best choice for him the rest of his life. Things change over time. Wife, kids, health, professional realities, desires and dreams. He owes the fans nothing more than he gave them, which was an incredible five years. If you think every public figure needs to be held to every public statement they ever make then you are doomed for a life of frustration and disappointment.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I was looking forward to going on my dream vacation but now that I've learned that once I go on my dream vacation I can never go on any other vacations again I'm a bit hesitant. Guidance?

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
We were undoubtedly all confused and the dream was always getting coaching experience so he could get a job with any NBA team that would take him.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Maybe his dream was making everyone believe he was happy as a clam in Ames, including his own players, while he was actually busy flirting with any NBA team that lifted their skirt. That's pretty much my dream, too.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
No. His legacy ends from whatever he accomplished through the UAB loss.

But this may help put it in perspective. Let's face it, we all remember good things better than they were and bad things worse than they were. Who knows though, it could do the opposite. The "what could've been " crowd will have unlimited ammo to throw around for the next few decades.

terryleebr

Apr 10, 2006
Fred's legacy will not be what many of us hoped or dreamed it would be. He will be remembered as a successful, short term coach who moved on to bigger and better things.

Nothing wrong with that.

That "loyal son forever true" stuff just wasn't destined to be the legacy for Mr Hoiberg.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron