Doc Sadler

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Oh for god's sake. Our defense has been solid for most of the year. Our defense kept us in the game against Kansas in Ames.

The defense was bad today. It wasn't great on Saturday. I am assuming they will get it fixed.

Sure it's better then last year, but how could it have gotten any worse? We give up 74 points a game, which ranks 276th overall. That's not even including tonights game either. That's really bad.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Sure it's better then last year, but how could it have gotten any worse? We give up 74
points a game, which ranks 276th overall. That's not even including tonights game either. That's really bad.

Giving up 74 points a game isn't bad when you average 80 (or whatever we do). Where does our FG% rank on defense? I'm guessing it is better.

Again, for god's sake, our defense has been good enough to win 18 games. We've beaten several teams that don't suck.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Sure it's better then last year, but how could it have gotten any worse? We give up 74 points a game, which ranks 276th overall. That's not even including tonights game either. That's really bad.
Part of that is due to our up tempo style. There aren't 276 teams ahead of us that also play up tempo.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Giving up 74 points a game isn't bad when you average 80 (or whatever we do). Where does our FG% rank on defense? I'm guessing it is better.

Again, for god's sake, our defense has been good enough to win 18 games. We've beaten several teams that don't suck.

disagree with this.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I really think its about the whole year of double down, letm have 3s, run to the other end and dont rebound for the WHOLE season which looks and works great when it creates turnovers and really really bad when they rain threes on us; but if we had two less losses or had won tonight I agree no one would be complaining..

We only have 5. That's not a dismal season.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
disagree with this.

Disagree on what? The theory if it? Because the theory is solid. If you average a bunch of points, the team you are playing will score more points. Unless you think we should win every game by 30 (like West Virginia just did!), then you are going to have to accept that our opponents will score points.

I'm not saying our defense is the best thing to ever happen, but it is much better this year and we are 18-5.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Disagree on what? The theory if it? Because the theory is solid. If you average a bunch of points, the team you are playing will score more points. Unless you think we should win every game by 30 (like West Virginia just did!), then you are going to have to accept that our opponents will score points.

I'm not saying our defense is the best thing to ever happen, but it is much better this year and we are 18-5.

Didnt say i disagreed with the whole thing because I don't. I'm just saying giving up 74 points a game is horrible regardless of whether you average 1 or 100 PPG.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Didnt say i disagreed with the whole thing because I don't. I'm just saying giving up 74 points a game is horrible regardless of whether you average 1 or 100 PPG.

Again, I don't know where to look it up, but please find our FG% defense and post that and it's ranking on here. I don't think it will be outstanding, but it will be better than 276th or whatever. And that is much more relevant than 76 poings per game. Unless, you feel like we should win 80-50 every single game. Because we'll score 80. And I think it is stupid to expect us to hold teams to 50.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there

Or, our offense has been good enough to win 18 games. In conference play we are 6th in FG% defense (44.7%) and last in 3P% (39.2%). 9th in rebounding defense and rebounding margin. Last in points per game given up, but we do average more possessions.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Or, our offense has been good enough to win 18 games. In conference play we are 6th in FG% defense (44.7%) and last in 3P% (39.2%). 9th in rebounding defense and rebounding margin. Last in points per game, but we do average more possessions.

The 6th is fine. Our offense was before tonight ranked 1st or 2nd in most categories. The 3 point defense is bad.

But my whole point is that 74 points per game has to be taken into context and if you don't, you are really stupid.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Again, I don't know where to look it up, but please find our FG% defense and post that and it's ranking on here. I don't think it will be outstanding, but it will be better than 276th or whatever. And that is much more relevant than 76 poings per game. Unless, you feel like we should win 80-50 every single game. Because we'll score 80. And I think it is stupid to expect us to hold teams to 50.

I get that scoring more means that you'll give up more points but I highly doubt our adjusted defensive stats are very good, either. Also, I don't think many teams can actually manipulate FG% of other teams. Elite defensive teams probably do, but ISU does not.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
People would be complaining about our offense being bad if we ran Wisconsin's swing offense. Does Wisconsin have a bad offense because of their ppg? No, because they are an efficient offense. Our defense seems more efficient than a lot are giving it credit for.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I get that scoring more means that you'll give up more points but I highly doubt our adjusted defensive stats are very good, either. Also, I don't think many teams can actually manipulate FG% of other teams. Elite defensive teams probably do, but ISU does not.

I don't know what you are talking about, but I do know that during the game tonight (before we sucked) the announcers mentioned that our defense was ranked in the 30's. I assume that was some FG% ranking.

If you want to ***** about giving up 74 points per game as being unacceptable, go right ahead.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
The 6th is fine. Our offense was before tonight ranked 1st or 2nd in most categories. The 3 point defense is bad.

But my whole point is that 74 points per game has to be taken into context and if you don't, you are really stupid.
Is 6th fine? Not many teams get past the middle of the conference and have success in March with that type of defense. 6th in combination with the 3P% and rebounding is definitely not fine imo.
If we are going to take context into it to dismiss the weaknesses on defense, we need to do the same to the offense- points per game is useless (our efficiency numbers on offense are not good IIRC). Plus, our 3P% is last in conference play.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
I don't know what you are talking about, but I do know that during the game tonight (before we sucked) the announcers mentioned that our defense was ranked in the 30's. I assume that was some FG% ranking.

If you want to ***** about giving up 74 points per game as being unacceptable, go right ahead.

all I'm saying is that I feel this team has the potential (p-word) to defend better than it is, which I feel is not great. KenPom has ISU 44th in Adjusted Defense. I think the #11 team should have a better defense than that.

if you want to ***** about people wanting more from their team after losing by 30 when favored, go right ahead.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Is 6th fine? Not many teams get past the middle of the conference and have success in March with that type of defense. 6th in combination with the 3P% and rebounding is definitely not fine imo.
If we are going to take context into it to dismiss the weaknesses on defense, we need to do the same to the offense- points per game is useless (our efficiency numbers on offense are not good IIRC). Plus, our 3P% is last in conference play.

Well you've convinced me. Iowa State sucks. They are lucky they won 9 games, let alone 18 at this point. There's no chance we make the NCAA tournament and we could easily lose out.

I think my point is that every team has weaknesses. Ours is defense. And if it was that bad, we wouldn't have won 18 games or 6 games so far in the conference. Our defense has been worse the past few games. That's not good, but hopefully they can fix it.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
all I'm saying is that I feel this team has the potential (p-word) to defend better than it is, which I feel is not great. KenPom has ISU 44th in Adjusted Defense. I think the #11 team should have a better defense than that.

if you want to ***** about people wanting more from their team after losing by 30 when favored, go right ahead.
Nobody is doing that. Everyone wants more from the team after tonight. No doubt tonight's defensive performance was atrocious/non existent. The entire season though hasn't been bad.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Well, obviously the #11 team has earned that spot, terrible defense or not.

Again, I can see being upset about this game. But people are ******** about the entire season, which is ********.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Or, our offense has been good enough to win 18 games. In conference play we are 6th in FG% defense (44.7%) and last in 3P% (39.2%). 9th in rebounding defense and rebounding margin. Last in points per game given up, but we do average more possessions.
We would salivate if we could shoot 39 per cent threes as a team....

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Our interior rotations are still awful. We haven't been bad on the perimeter for the most part. I will say that George's is in foul trouble for a reason. All of that said, our defense isn't completely awful, just really frustrating at times. Tonight was an exception

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron