Votes: 193 73.1%
  • No

Votes: 71 26.9%

• Total voters

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I haven't read through all of these comments yet, but boy oh boy some people need to calm down.. Tom Manning has been good for us. Really good. Not great, but really good. Are there times where he makes the wrong play call? Yep, but that happens all the time at every single level.

I honestly have no idea why this question is popping up after we just hung 52 points up in a game. And don't tell me "well it was Kansas", because 52 points is the 2nd most points given up by Kansas' defense this year. K-State had 55 points however 14 of those came from special teams.

We're 4-1 in the conference and our only loss came on the road by 3 to a ranked opponent and we missed two field goals.. Let's all just take a big deep breath.

So 52 would be the most.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Telling that despite the number of posters chirping, the poll is a 2 to 1 margin in favor of Manning.
The OP started this thread while the game was still happening, meaning it's 100% reactionary. It's easy to get upset after something bad happens, and I'm assuming this came after a couple of bad offensive plays.

In regards to our offense this year, I think it's a bit confusing that we have a very good rushing attack this year. It's diluting the passing numbers because we have a guy that can break off 35+ yard runs with ease, and has scored multiple times on long runs. We're used to big plays coming in the passing game, and I think people are equating the lack of those big plays to possibly not great play calling.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
You guys want to know a good play call Manning had on Saturday? (with even better execution)

The 7:33 minute mark in the 3rd quarter, it's 4th and 1 on KU's 37 yard line. KU had been run blitzing all day long, not allowing Breece to have much success between the tackles. Manning calls an RPO, Brock pulls it, both linebackers get sucked in thinking Breece 100% has the ball, Brock whips it to Xavier who's able to shed 1 tackle and go for a TD.

That play was excellent.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I brought this up yesterday, but I think some people are attributing our down numbers throwing the ball as having a not so good offense, when in reality we're just much better running the ball. Having a Heisman quality running back helps with that obviously.
Our total YPG this year vs. last are pretty close to the same, the major difference is the pass/rush share. It went from about 320/120 to 230/200 each game. That's still letting the job done, just differently than before, and certainly nothing to complain about thus far.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Our total YPG this year vs. last are pretty close to the same, the major difference is the pass/rush share. It went from about 320/120 to 230/200 each game. That's still letting the job done, just differently than before, and certainly nothing to complain about thus far.
Yup. And last year our offense was historical overall, even if we did play poorly in the final two games. I just think those on here with negative thoughts towards Manning are focusing too much on the lack of big plays in the passing game and not enough on the fact that getting two-three 30+ yard runs a game is just as good production wise.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
My biggest issue with Manning are the absolute duds for game plans he has 2-4 games per year which makes it hard for us to take the next step. And within games he seems to stubbornly not stick with what works or change what doesn't work.

And I love Campbell. I hope he stays at ISU for a long time and continues to have a ton of success. But I also think the coaching staff has some things to learn and improve on. I want to believe he sees Manning as the guy and will continue to improve. But Campbell also doesn't seem to think we need a special teams coach... so....

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
When Manning was calling plays against KU, I'm sure he was doing it with the next 4 games in mind. We ran 3 wide outs way more often than 3 tight ends, not because we're more effective with 3 wide outs, but because we need to BECOME more effective with 3 wide outs. Manning could have run Breece all day long and it would have worked extremely well, but we wouldn't have improved much as a team by doing that.

My point is much like playing chess or shooting pool, our coaches are looking three moves ahead. To the casual fan, it might not make the most sense, but I trust Manning's expertise a lot more than the Monday morning quarterbacks on this board.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I seem to remember a certain fishing buddy of a very firmly entrenched head coach getting roasted pretty often on this board. But I can't say for certain because I've seemed to blacked out most of my football memories from those two years.

Mac's defenses were hard to watch.

Wally and Heacock seem to get the most from the talent they have/had to work with.

Heacock has done a masterful job of developing depth and coming up with schemes and game plans that plays to the strengths of our players and usually holds opponents to below their typical output.
Heacock top 5 D coordinator all of college football.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
My biggest issue with Manning are the absolute duds for game plans he has 2-4 games per year which makes it hard for us to take the next step. And within games he seems to stubbornly not stick with what works or change what doesn't work.

And I love Campbell. I hope he stays at ISU for a long time and continues to have a ton of success. But I also think the coaching staff has some things to learn and improve on. I want to believe he sees Manning as the guy and will continue to improve. But Campbell also doesn't seem to think we need a special teams coach... so....
That's Campbell you're ******** about then, not Manning.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
That's Campbell you're ******** about then, not Manning.

Manning is the OC and his job is to come up with the offensive game plan. Sometimes that plan is, well, offensive. Is it always? Of course not, and the results show that. But yes, Campbell is head coach and is ultimately responsible when Manning's plan fails.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron