Do you tip delivery drivers?

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
That's the nature of the service you've enlisted, however. It's just like when you go out to eat, someone is busting their butt specifically to do physical work for YOU. There is absolute merit to the argument that they should be getting paid more, but there isn't exactly a big delivery driver union organizing better working conditions. And NOT generalizing, but there are some delivery people doing it because they're not qualified for other jobs.

I don't think those things compare very well. At a restaurant I always tip. I know I'm paying for the food in the price of the meal, not the service. On the other hand, when a gratuity is added to the bill, on large parties, etc. Unless the service was highly outstanding, I never tip more than what is already added. Because imo, you just charged me for the service.

When I am charged a delivery fee, I not only paid for the item, but I paid for the item to be delivered. I don't see a need to tip there, because I paid for not only my item, but the service rendered. If delivery people have a problem with this, then they do need to take this up with their employers.

As a waiter or waitress, where would you rather work, a place that tacked on 15% to every bill, stated this to their customers, and took a good percentage of that for their own, or a place where you tip is your tip?

I just had a lawn tractor delivered to my house recently. Paid $60 for the service. The time got all "F'd" up by them and I ended up getting it a day late. It was delivered from about 4 miles away, and as soon as they got the thing off the truck they both had their hands out. I was like, "What do you want a tip?" To which they both said, "Well, kind of." And then I told them, "Hey not to be a jerk, but the service I paid for was a day late and it's not like you had to move it across the country or anything. I appreciate you being here on time today, and it probably wasn't your fault that you blew it yesterday when it was supposed to be delivered, but take it up with your boss who already charged me $60." I got lucky in a way that it was a day late, I wouldn't have tipped them even if it had come the day before. I paid to have it delivered.

Last edited:

ISUKing

Apr 27, 2010
Ankeny, IA
I don't know if you were being literal or not, but there is no way I would EVER tip someone if they put their hand out to me. I don't care what service they just performed. Sorry, to me a tip is an extra little pat on the back for a job well done...you are not allowed to expect it and make it known you are expecting

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
One of my biggest pet peeves is the "delivery charge" for most pizza places. The driver is using their car, their gas, etc. and yet the company charges you a couple bucks for delivery. And then you are still expected to tip the delivery guy.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
One of my biggest pet peeves is the "delivery charge" for most pizza places. The driver is using their car, their gas, etc. and yet the company charges you a couple bucks for delivery. And then you are still expected to tip the delivery guy.

hummm....if only they offered "carry-out" as an option...:jimlad:

Reactions: Angie

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I don't know if you were being literal or not, but there is no way I would EVER tip someone if they put their hand out to me. I don't care what service they just performed. Sorry, to me a tip is an extra little pat on the back for a job well done...you are not allowed to expect it and make it known you are expecting

AMEN

Irresponsible

Jul 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
. If you think you got bad service don't tip./QUOTE]

This only works in theory. In reality, nobody thinks they are bad at their job (Business Week surveyed people and when they asked them if they were a "top 10%" employee, 86% said "yes." Try running the math on that).

When I worked food service (and the food service people I've talked to since), someone who didn't tip was consideread a cheapskate jerk. Not once was a lack of tip cause to think the waiter service was bad.

Lifer

Sep 15, 2007
Overland Park, KS
Except it is advertised as part of the service. "Buy from us and we'll deliver it for free." And if there's a delivery charge, you are paying for delivery, it is absolutely ridiculous for you to suggest someone should go pick it up if they dont want to pay extra on top of already paying for delivery. If that amount isnt suitable, then raise the price. Dont send your employees out expecting additional compensation.

Take it up with the boss if they feel they should be paid more. Otherwise, the employer is just redistributing their true cost of labor through a hidden 'tip fee' to the customer.

And people wonder why the service industry has gone down hill. These guys make ten flippin' bucks an hour to lug heavy appliances and furniture around for you. People like you expect a king's service for a pauper price, you need to treat them like a waiter or waitress and tip them on there service. Oh yeah i would like to see you go tell your boss I need more money or I'm not gonna work... see how far that gets you.:confused:

Reactions: Angie

oskyclone

Apr 13, 2006
Altoona
. If you think you got bad service don't tip./QUOTE]

This only works in theory. In reality, nobody thinks they are bad at their job (Business Week surveyed people and when they asked them if they were a "top 10%" employee, 86% said "yes." Try running the math on that).

When I worked food service (and the food service people I've talked to since), someone who didn't tip was consideread a cheapskate jerk. Not once was a lack of tip cause to think the waiter service was bad.

This doesn't matter what I think about me as a server, it's what the customer thinks of me as a server. If they think I gave them the proper service throw me some bones. To me as a server if I get a zero or dollar tip that is telling me I did something wrong or didn't do something right. If you are not tipping because you are cheap still says to me I am not good enough for you so I will try harder next time. But if you are not tipping solely because you never tip, you are a cheapskate and an *******.

Cytom5

Sep 3, 2010
Ames
here is a tip buy low sell high

or stay in school.

I have wrote these when my service has been awful or the waiter or waitress is extremly rude

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
here is a tip buy low sell high

or stay in school.

I have wrote these when my service has been awful or the waiter or waitress is extremly rude

So you were condescending AND rude back?

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
And people wonder why the service industry has gone down hill. These guys make ten flippin' bucks an hour to lug heavy appliances and furniture around for you. People like you expect a king's service for a pauper price, you need to treat them like a waiter or waitress and tip them on there service. Oh yeah i would like to see you go tell your boss I need more money or I'm not gonna work... see how far that gets you.:confused:

I provide engineering services to my clients which includes prompt communication, quality products, etc. Should I expect a tip?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Perfectly acceptable. Look at the landmark Supreme Court case "Two Wrongs Makes a Right vs. Maturity."

Maturity lost 7-2.

I can't give you any more rep right now, but you're killing me lately. :notworthy:

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
I have never tipped a delivery guy for furniture or anything like that. Thought never even crossed my mind.

We were at an upscale Miami Hotel in March, and our bar tabs and meal tabs at the hotel's eatery and bar always had an automatic 18% gratuity tacked-on to each bill, despite only two people to our party.

The lovely waitress explained it was a history of the latin and european visitors being notoriously cheapand non-tipping.

She was a beauty from Velezuela. We tipped her extra in addition to the 18%:swoon:

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
I tip furniture delivery people - they need the money.
As a past bartender and waiter in Iowa City/Ames/ Cedar Rapids.....the WORST tippers were the nurses at the U of Iowa going out together without their hubbies/boyfriends. Of course...some of the rural folks have no clue either when they come into the 'big city'

The best tippers---? the other bartenders and waitresses from other area bars who would come to our joint after their shifts, especially in Iowa City.

You cheap ***** out there should all try waiting tables or bartend for 6 months.... It would totally change your cheap *** ways

Last edited by a moderator:

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008

No, the service industry has gone downhill because hardly anyone has a decent work ethic anymore. Whatever happened to working hard because that's what's expected of you? I've done lots of menial labor in my life, some of it for pay, some of it for free, but I always worked my butt off because that's what you do when you're working.

If these guys (or gals) don't think $10/hr is enough pay for what they do, then they have a couple of options:

1) negotiate with their employer for more $$$ - believe it or not, people do this all the time
2) find a better paying job

Sorry, but I can't subsidize every poor schmuck who doesn't think they're getting compensated fairly.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron