Do you talk to other humans in public??

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Are you that guy who holds the door for me when I'm 20-30 feet away from it and debating whether or not I left something in the car that I needed, and then I see you tapping your foot so I hurry up to keep from pissing you off and I trip on the curb, fall and spill all the contents of my purse all over the side walk, and then you glare at me while I'm scrambling to pick them up and rush through that door that you insisted on holding open even though I wasn't ready to enter the building yet?

Thanks.

(need jimlad)

No, that's my identical twin brother; the Evil MeanDean.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I'm getting better at it as I get older, because I grew up listening much more than talking, but I can lead a conversation in a group of people if nobody else is stepping up. I once struck up a conversation with this older guy at McDonalds wearing a Vietnam Veterans cap and ended up talking to him for 30 minutes. There are some truly interesting people in this world, and some of them are exceptional at telling captivating stories.

I've sorta inherited the "social coordinator" role with my daughter's sports parents. I introduced myself to other parents as well as introduced parents to other parents. With as much time as you spend together, it's weird when you have maybe 20-24 adults around each other for 3-4 hours every week for 9 months and some people still make almost no effort to converse.

In general, I appreciate awkward attempts at conversation much more than those fake "salesmen" conversations. Whenever I feel those fake conversations coming, I tend to clam up to avoid calling them out on their BS.

Reactions: k123 and Angie

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I'm getting better at it as I get older, because I grew up listening much more than talking, but I can lead a conversation in a group of people if nobody else is stepping up. I once struck up a conversation with this older guy at McDonalds wearing a Vietnam Veterans cap and ended up talking to him for 30 minutes. There are some truly interesting people in this world, and some of them are exceptional at telling captivating stories.

I've sorta inherited the "social coordinator" role with my daughter's sports parents. I introduced myself to other parents as well as introduced parents to other parents. With as much time as you spend together, it's weird when you have maybe 20-24 adults around each other for 3-4 hours every week for 9 months and some people still make almost no effort to converse.

In general, I appreciate awkward attempts at conversation much more than those fake "salesmen" conversations. Whenever I feel those fake conversations coming, I tend to clam up to avoid calling them out on their BS.

I've had those moments too. You find out some fascinating thing about a person in a totally random setting.

But far more likely for me is to find someone who has the WILL to talk and tell stories but their stories are really bad. With details about people and places I never met or have never been to, but told with the assumption that I'm familiar with both. Then they won't let you go. You literally have to walk away and make up something about how your kids are home alone and the next door neighbor is a child molester or something.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I hate eye contact

How else am I going to look into your soul?

creepy_stare_and_smirk.gif

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
I am still taken aback a bit when I smile and nod at someone, or even say hello, and they make eye contact, do nothing and then just look away (so you know they saw/heard you). C'mon people, at least do something!
I think that is a midwestern thing to wave, say hi, or nod to acknowledge people. Do you know the people? Or are they unknown humans in public?

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
I think that is a midwestern thing to wave, say hi, or nod to acknowledge people. Do you know the people? Or are they unknown humans in public?
Another idea is that usually when people say hello or nod (and you don't know them) they want to sell me something,need money or want to ask me about my relationship with Jesus.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest

Mostly unknown humans in public.

I did have this one female co-worker, she was about 23-25 range, she was the ice queen. You could look directly at her, smile, say "hi!" as you walked by, she would look at you, not smile, not nod, say nothing, and keep walking. Bizzare.

Reactions: Angie

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Mostly unknown humans in public.

I did have this one female co-worker, she was about 23-25 range, she was the ice queen. You could look directly at her, smile, say "hi!" as you walked by, she would look at you, not smile, not nod, say nothing, and keep walking. Bizzare.

I usually just assume those are the ones that have a crush on me.

That way, they get to be a *****, I can feel good about myself.

Win-win. :)

• Funny
Reactions: khardbored