Do you drink to get drunk or for taste?

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
A friend and I were arguing this the other day and I thought I'd get your esteemed opinion.

My feeling is I don't like to drink if I have responsibilities to do in the near future. If I have to mow the lawn and go to Menards later I'm not going to have a beer at an afternoon block party or something. People drink alcohol solely because it has a mood altering effect on their brain and that is the reason, regardless of quantity, people drink. I drink only when I know it will alter my mind and I can relax and enjoy it.

My friend says people drink for the taste. I asked if people would drink a truly non-alcoholic (0.0% abv) Miller Lite and he said "probably not". He smokes marijuana. I asked him if he would smoke it if he did not get high. He said "of course not". I think that made my point pretty solid.

What say you?

Is it before or after a 2013 Iowa State football game?

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I think this is spot on. Psychologically, after feeling the effects, it turns into a good time for many and then they start to "like the taste."

Interesting. I used to HATE spinach. Now I love it. Now, I probably eat spinach 5-6 times a week. It's interesting, because I don't think there are any "effects" felt after eating spinach, yet I seem to have acquired a taste for it anyway.

That said…I drink to get DRUNK! Pass me another

Last edited:

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I drink so I can drive........all the ladies crazy.

And because I got cottonmouth like a mother.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
To get drunk. Just like I drink coffee in the morning for the "wake me up".

I don't like the actual taste of coffee, but i associate it with being able to function at work.

Similarly, i don't necessarily like the taste of alcohol in general, but I associate it with me not being able to function at social events. It's a win/win situation.

Ciclone

May 5, 2008
Clive
Interesting. I used to HATE spinach. Now I love it. Now, I probably eat spinach 5-6 times a week. It's interesting, because I don't think there are any "effects" felt after eating spinach, yet I seem to have acquired a taste for it anyway.

That said…I drink to get DRUNK! Pass me another

You're obviously getting stronger and you don't know it.

MadCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2006
Madison, WI
In college, maybe to get drunk. But I couldn't afford to choose from a variety of selections. Now it is definitely both.

I like Mountain Dew. But I won't just sit down one evening watching sports with friends and drink 10+.

I don't like lemonade. I don't care how wasted I got drinking it, I wouldn't drink it just to get drunk.

There are plenty of alcoholic beverages out there. If you are drinking something that you don't like the taste of just to get drunk, you are not looking hard enough to find something that you can enjoy and I guess you just deserve the process of getting drunk to just be not enjoyable.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Natural ICE.......after a 4 or 5 I like to go bully skinny jeans who drink strawberry or apple cider. Pit Bull don't drink no lemonade.

milrtym

Sep 19, 2008
West Des Moines
I drink to become a better: dart thrower, bowler, lover, conversationalist, softball player, cup flipper, dancer, singer, football fan, expert on everything,....

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Drink to function through life anymore. Can't really remember the last time i was "drunk". Today had meeting start around 2, which lead to 8 gin n tonics.....then went to pick up dinner for the family and 2 vodkas while waiting, then home to have a couple night caps.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Drink to function through life anymore. Can't really remember the last time i was "drunk". Today had meeting start around 2, which lead to 8 gin n tonics.....then went to pick up dinner for the family and 2 vodkas while waiting, then home to have a couple night caps.
:eek:

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Atta boy!

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

Was this an AA meeting?

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

You are my hero.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
Both. Usually to get drunk, but I like to have the occasional beer or two for the taste.