Do you drink to get drunk or for taste?

CEO

Nov 27, 2009
Des Moines
I love what beer does and I love the taste. It's an acquired taste though and I'd have to say that if it didn't get me drunk, I'd just as soon have a pop or something. I suppose the answer to the question can best be summed up by Samuel Jackson.

[video=youtube;ZrEe3JcsYWQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrEe3JcsYWQ[/video]

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
Both until someone calls me an alcoholic, then I'm like "stop yelling at me, I have a disease".

Tonight I'm drinking Beam&diet coke until I hit that special place, then I'll drop down to Miller lt to maintain that special place.

Stumbles

Feb 17, 2012
Cleveland Heights, OH
I haven't drank to get drunk in a while. In school among friends, it was okay. A few years ago, drinking to get drunk became a problem, because I was doing it by myself, and for unhealthy (if there are healthy) reasons. Can't have that. I don't drink much any more.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
A few years ago, drinking to get drunk became a problem, because I was doing it by myself

I don't think drinking by yourself is a bad thing. The only time I've heard it's a bad thing is from people who say it's a bad thing because they heard it from other people, etc. I like fine bourbons and I'll drink a glass or two at night when all my responsibilities are over. I drink the $60/bottle stuff alone and the Crown and Beam with friends at parties, etc.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
No, but how about a Gin and Tonic? I will tell you, with complete honesty, if that drink had no alcohol in it, but tasted the same, I'd still drink it. Tonic tastes good. Lime tastes good. And believe it or not, Gin tastes good. Put them together and they're amazing.

I can't drink gin and tonic even knowing that it does have alcohol in hit.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
When I was younger, I didn't like the taste of beer or whiskey or gin or anything. Now I like it all. Chicken vs egg, I suppose.

But if people didn't drink for taste, why wouldn't everybody just have a bottle of grain alcohol in their cupboard? Cheaper and more efficient.

I always smile when I walk up to the Craft Beer Tent at the State Fair . . . those people are all drinking for taste (first). Makes me happy :yes:

CEO

Nov 27, 2009
Des Moines
I think all different kinds of beers are tasty and variety is nice, but when it comes to taste nothing is better than an ice cold Miller Lite.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I drink because I am unhappy.

I am unhappy because I drink.

But in all seriousness I enjoy the taste of beer. I like all kinds of beer, American light lagers, I like craft, I like all beers. I like beer. Yum Yum.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Both until someone calls me an alcoholic, then I'm like "stop yelling at me, I have a disease".

Tonight I'm drinking Beam&diet coke until I hit that special place, then I'll drop down to Miller lt to maintain that special place.

This is a solid plan, but never seems to work for me. Usually once I realize I've hit that special place it's too late & I'm over the edge shortly after. Hopefully I'll have this skill mastered by the time I get as old as most of you.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
This is a solid plan, but never seems to work for me. Usually once I realize I've hit that special place it's too late & I'm over the edge shortly after. Hopefully I'll have this skill mastered by the time I get as old as most of you.

you young whipper-snappers can't hang

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I can say if beer didn't have alcohol in it I would never drink it.

Before my grandpa died he couldn't drink alcohol due to different health problems so he would always drink a Busch NA whenever the family got together and he would always have me take a swig.. "See Bret, it tastes just like the real thing!"

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Before my grandpa died he couldn't drink alcohol due to different health problems so he would always drink a Busch NA whenever the family got together and he would always have me take a swig.. "See Bret, it tastes just like the real thing!"

Well, he may be onto something there...they both taste like crap.

:pwink: No beer snob here, but the joke was there.