Do we throw deep enough?

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
Don't know what doctor said but don't care. He is one of the extremely few posters on this site on my blocked list.

I bet you'll end up looking to see what I wrote because you're mentally weak. You need the ignore button to protect you from this mental weakness, but you won't be able to resist and will eventually look after much soul searching. "Should I? Shouldn't I? Oh, I'm going to look."

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
As much as there is doubt we have the QB to go deep, there should be doubt that we have the WRs to go deep. As a group they lack speed and have not proven to consistently have great positioning or hands. When was the last time we had a WR make a catch like the KU WR along the sidelines?

The deep pass is a low percentage play, even more so with our WRs and at times SR. Sure, adding more deep routes would be good, but what we really need is more vertical routes- get these big guys moving away from the LOS when they catch the ball. We also need Sam to find the open guy on breakdown situations or use his legs to get the easy yards. Too many times when under duress he does a good job to keep the play alive, only to force something that we are not capable of completing when he has an easy 5+ yards in front of him.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
The question shouldn't be "do we throw deep enough", it should be "can our QB throw accurate deep passes" and the answer is no, he cannot.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I hear a lot of people say we don't stretch the field enough. Personally I feel they have tried some but obviously not been successfull. It seems like mangino only takes a few shots per game which would be par for the course with his coaching history. Anyway I think if we continue to run well we will see more deep tthrows. Rant over.

This option has it's limits when you have a quarterback that does not have that accuracy to put deep passes where they need to be, every time we tried our receivers were getting edges on the defender but along with that Sam did not put the ball where it needed to be. I think from a WR perspective I think we were getting separation, but we need a qb that can put it where it needs to be to get this fully done consistently....

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
In Sam's defense, he tried to go deep a few times yesterday, he just couldn't make the throws. We are opening up the playbook a little more each game but so far this year, it seems Mangino's playcalling has been handcuffed by what Sam can do. Doesn't matter what plays are called if you can't execute them. I'd say another reason we don't go deep is that Sam has shown over the last 3+ years he's definitely not a gambler. He doesn't make risky throws, a lot of the times the deep ball requires confidence and the trust that your WR will go get the ball. Sam is very cautious with his throws.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
As much as there is doubt we have the QB to go deep, there should be doubt that we have the WRs to go deep. As a group they lack speed and have not proven to consistently have great positioning or hands. When was the last time we had a WR make a catch like the KU WR along the sidelines?

The deep pass is a low percentage play, even more so with our WRs and at times SR. Sure, adding more deep routes would be good, but what we really need is more vertical routes- get these big guys moving away from the LOS when they catch the ball. We also need Sam to find the open guy on breakdown situations or use his legs to get the easy yards. Too many times when under duress he does a good job to keep the play alive, only to force something that we are not capable of completing when he has an easy 5+ yards in front of him.

This. On a below average team we begin to think our average to good players are great. You aren't going to see Baylor, TCU or even TT plays consistently.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The question shouldn't be "do we throw deep enough", it should be "can our QB throw accurate deep passes" and the answer is no, he cannot.

The first question is "Can the OL block long enough for the WR to run a deep route?" Until yesterday, that answer has more often than not been "no".

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I think Lazard is good but I can't remember a jump ball he has come down with when battling a defender, a la Montgomery Saturday. He has had a few opportunities to make these kinds of plays but I can't remember one where he actually has made the catch.

You are saying he is not Todd Blythe?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
This. On a below average team we begin to think our average to good players are great. You aren't going to see Baylor, TCU or even TT plays consistently.

I think we have enough receivers with speed. We just need to call the right routes and confuse the defense some.Certainly our receivers can catch the ball well. That is a major positive.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I've been saying the last 2 seasons that we don't throw deep near enough.

The TD pass to Montgomery was a prime example. Although it wasn't really a fly pattern, we still had one on one coverage and Montgomery just made the play. We have multiple WR's that can do that IMO.

We hardly ever stretch the defense vertically. IMO, we should lob it up deep to Montgomery, Lazard, Bundrage, or Daley twice per quarter or roughly 8 times a game. If we have such good WR's, let them do their thing.

And the thing is... it is not a very risky play at all. 95% of the time it's either going to be incomplete or caught by the offensive player. And on the slight chance it is intercepted, it's usually no worse than a punt anyway.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
It looked like KU played a lot of 2 deep safeties which doesn't lend itself to deep throws down the sidelines, but Sam was doing a good job of finding guys open in the middle.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I've been saying the last 2 seasons that we don't throw deep near enough.

The TD pass to Montgomery was a prime example. Although it wasn't really a fly pattern, we still had one on one coverage and Montgomery just made the play. We have multiple WR's that can do that IMO.

We hardly ever stretch the defense vertically. IMO, we should lob it up deep to Montgomery, Lazard, Bundrage, or Daley twice per quarter or roughly 8 times a game. If we have such good WR's, let them do their thing.

And the thing is... it is not a very risky play at all. 95% of the time it's either going to be incomplete or caught by the offensive player. And on the slight chance it is intercepted, it's usually no worse than a punt anyway.

It's a much more risky play when you have a safety back there that is facing the QB and can see the ball the whole way and make a play on it.

AWOL2000

Feb 13, 2008
Lawry Crossing, TX
It's a much more risky play when you have a safety back there that is facing the QB and can see the ball the whole way and make a play on it.

Correct. A strong running game will occupy the safeties more and allow for more chances to get 1 on 1 coverage. That's when you take your shots deep.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Lazard is the most sure handed receiver on the team.

Even Kansas was taking deep shots against us. I would like to think our WR vs their DB is a better match up than their WR on our DB.

AL has great hands but he hasn't learned to use his size to bully smaller DB's. He isn't going to be a deep threat WR, he's a possession guy. When you compare him to the WR groups that Baylor and TCU have, he doesn't have the top end speed to consistently burn guys deep. Our WR group may be our biggest strength but it doesn't mean it stacks up to the top teams in the league. None of our guys do.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Looking at the espn team stats this morning, we have an game average of 255.8 yards per a game, which is good for 39th in the nation. While some of you think we need to go deep more often, we seem to be doing a pretty good job in the passing game. Could it be better? Yes. But is it the most concerning thing right now, I do not think so. I think the more pressing concern is finishing a higher percentage of our drives and putting more points on the board.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
Looking at the espn team stats this morning, we have an game average of 255.8 yards per a game, which is good for 39th in the nation. While some of you think we need to go deep more often, we seem to be doing a pretty good job in the passing game. Could it be better? Yes. But is it the most concerning thing right now, I do not think so. I think the more pressing concern is finishing a higher percentage of our drives and putting more points on the board.

This is the problem... Long Drives, and Yards DO NOT equal points. Big plays equal points. I saw a stat on saturday that showed there were 9 drives of 19 plus plays this year and only 1 of those equaled a TD. We cannot score, because we are scared to make or incapable of making big plays. Thats why I would not attempt a pass under 8 yards, unless the pass was your running game.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Frankly I was thrilled we threw to the tight ends yesterday. I would like to see us throw in a few screens to the running backs.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron