Did I miss something?

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Wrong, the 09 Iowa line is one of the deepest in the Ferentz era, and though it may not be deeper than the 08 line, it probably has more depth than any other line Ferentz has coached (especially at OG). Plus those guys that provided depth last season will grow and improve in the offseason to become veteran starters. Look back at the best Iowa OL's, talent tends to be less important than experience, and experience is something that th 09 OL has plenty of. The projected starters after spring will likely look like this:

LT - Bulaga (Jr.)/Reiff (RS FR)
LG - Vandervelde (Jr.)/Richardson(SR.)/Haganman(JR.)
C - Eubanks (Sr.)/Koeppel(Jr.)
RG - The winner of this competition - Doering (SR.)/Kuempal (SR.)/Gettis (SO)
RT - Calloway (SR.)/Zusevics (SO)

The only place where our depth would be in question is at T (and that was the same last season), our OG and C positions are very solid throughout the 2 deeps and competition will push each starter to perform at their very best. The only position that concerns me on the OL is C, if Eubanks/Koeppel can step up and play that position soundly this will be a fantastic OL.

So based upon your own observations you indicated :
"The only place where our depth would be in question is at Tackle" - ummmm historically tackle is the one position that seems to get rolled up on the most...so depth at this position is a problem....you have a converted reshirt freshman at the most difficult blocking position on the line LT.

Center is obviously a concern as you indicated because Eubanks is not even on the depth chart at that position he's listed behind Vandervelde. Actually the Iowa website list Koeppel as the number 1 center with the often intoxicated Ferentz as his backup....Oh yeah, which position is the most critical for an OL to succeed - um yeah Center because they make all the calls and assignments.....not good there could be bad!!!!

Continuity.....although the Iowa line has a lot of experience, with three starters back, only two are playing the position they played last year. Continuity cannot be overlooked. I still think barring injuries, this line will be good, but not as you say FANTASTIC.....now Bulaga is fantastic....the rest are decent players and if they gel, could have a good year.....

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
What are we talkin' 'bout? Practice? We talkin' practice...not the game...practice. I mean, what are we talkin' 'bout? Practice? I know its funny, its funny to me too but we talkin' 'bout practice...

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

THIS IS ALWAYS FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!

hawkfan

Feb 18, 2009
Continuity.....although the Iowa line has a lot of experience, with three starters back, only two are playing the position they played last year. Continuity cannot be overlooked. I still think barring injuries, this line will be good, but not as you say FANTASTIC.....now Bulaga is fantastic....the rest are decent players and if they gel, could have a good year.....

1. Bulaga, Vandervelde, and Calloway will all likely be playing at the position they were playing at last year, so 3/5 of the line returns entirely intact.

2. Alll three of the above guys will be playing on Sundays (with Bulaga being a likely top 10 pick if he stays for his senior year), so with three fifths of the line being NFL calibur players I don't think we'll have any question marks there.

3. Furthermore, you say T is an are of injury concern. Bulaga (knock on wood) has never had any injury problems and Calloway played all 13 games last season with no injury issues, not to mention the fact that Ferentz (who is an OL guru) has said very positive things about Reiff, not sure about how solid Calloway's backup will be though.

4. The remaining 2 OL spots will be competed for by SR's and JR's who are all very talented and experienced. That guard spot will be anchored by a very talented player, whomever emerges as the starter. I personally think it will be Kuempal or Doering at guard, and I'm very confident in the abilities of both of them. At center, well....

5. The only point of yours that I agree with is concern over the center position. And just to clarify, the depth chart with Koeppel #1 was to start spring, and Ferentz has been known to use depth charts as a motivational tool, Eubanks is listed as #1 and Koeppel in the #2 spot in the latest depth chart. If we could have had Bruggeman 1 more season I think the 09 OL would be the best of the Ferentz era (and yes I know how good the 02 line actually was, I think with Bruggeman the 09 line would equal that OL). Without Bruggeman it will easily be good, and likely be fantastic. If either Eubanks or Koeppel (and I'm pulling for Koeppel) can step up their game this will be an incredible Iowa OL, and typically Iowa center's get better with experience, so having a SR there to anchor that position makes me feel better than if someone else with less experience had to do it.

I think you are very mistaken to assume that other than Bulaga the other players on the OL are just "decent". I would say with a lot of confidence that Bulaga, Vandervelde, and Calloway are all near locks to make it in NFL camps. Furthermore I wouldn't be surprised to see Richardson, Doering, or Kuempal to make it in the NFL as well if they have a breakout year (which could happen given the talent of all three). I would say quite confidently that 4 of the OL that Iowa will have as either Jr's or Sr's in 09 will end up in NFL camps, to me, that is a lot better than just "decent".

Last edited:

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Wrong, the 09 Iowa line is one of the deepest in the Ferentz era, and though it may not be deeper than the 08 line, it probably has more depth than any other line Ferentz has coached (especially at OG).

Well, is it the deepest or not, For someone who sounds so solid in his belief of this being the deepest, you seem to keep covering your tracks a lot. So which is deeper, 08 or 09, according to this you say both.
The only place where our depth would be in question is at T (and that was the same last season), our OG and C positions are very solid throughout the 2 deeps and competition will push each starter to perform at their very best. The only position that concerns me on the OL is C, if Eubanks/Koeppel can step up and play that position soundly this will be a fantastic OL.

So, is a position in question different from a position of concern? Again you say C is very solid, yet say that it's the only position that concerns you. All while saying Tackle is the only position in question.

Really, I'm not trying to be a ****, I know nothing of this team. Believe it or not, I don't follow the Hawks and other than the game we play against them, I don't care what they do. Just trying to figure out a little bit about them and your post is only confusing me.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
I think it's a little early to be predicting Vandervelde into the NFL. Just because he's a returning starter for the Iowa Hawkeyes doesn't punch his ticket for the NFL. Same for Calloway. He was downright awful his sophomore year, a revolving door for defensive ends. He made some HUGE progress last season, and if that continues then, yes, he'll probably make it into the NFL.

Bulaga on the other hand is a first rounder even if he leaves early. If he stays for 4 years, he'll be top 10.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Hawk fans claiming a trip to the rose bowl, ISU fans claiming they are crazy; ISU fans claiming a bowl team, hawk fans claim we are crazy- I hate summer.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Hawk fans claiming a trip to the rose bowl, ISU fans claiming they are crazy; ISU fans claiming a bowl team, hawk fans claim we are crazy- I hate summer.

And the world keeps on spinning!:smile:

Didn't Stewie say that on Family Guy?

hawkfan

Feb 18, 2009
Well, is it the deepest or not, For someone who sounds so solid in his belief of this being the deepest, you seem to keep covering your tracks a lot. So which is deeper, 08 or 09, according to this you say both.

So, is a position in question different from a position of concern? Again you say C is very solid, yet say that it's the only position that concerns you. All while saying Tackle is the only position in question.

08 was deeper simply because it had all the players that will be on the 09 team plus Bruggeman and Olsen, however that said, I feel that the 09 line could be better because the depth in 08 will be starting and improved in 09. Also, guard will be very deep in 09, I hope the injury bug does not hit, but even if it does, I feel comfortable with Iowa's depth at guard.

As far as question marks, T isn't a question mark in my mind, Bulaga and Calloway will be excellent, but their back ups are less than proven.

C is a question mark in my mind because we don't have a starter there that is a proven talent. Eubanks tried to play center for 2 seasons and was less than spectacular, but of course that was when he was a freshmen and sophomore, so maybe he has progressed. That is why I am kind of hoping that Koeppel has the ability to earn the center position, I hope he is the answer.

Sorry for the confusion, I hope this post provided more clarity.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
rank them in the top 20 preseason, have them be lucky to be in the top 60 postseason. It's ALMOST always an annually occurance. It'll be hard for the hawks to explain another loss in Ames to an Iowa State team that will probably end with 3 or 4 wins.

hawkeyescott

Jun 13, 2008
So based upon your own observations you indicated :
"The only place where our depth would be in question is at Tackle" - ummmm historically tackle is the one position that seems to get rolled up on the most...so depth at this position is a problem....you have a converted reshirt freshman at the most difficult blocking position on the line LT.

Center is obviously a concern as you indicated because Eubanks is not even on the depth chart at that position he's listed behind Vandervelde. Actually the Iowa website list Koeppel as the number 1 center with the often intoxicated Ferentz as his backup....Oh yeah, which position is the most critical for an OL to succeed - um yeah Center because they make all the calls and assignments.....not good there could be bad!!!!

Actually the center doesn't have to make the line calls with KF, I know Gallery made the calls on the line his senior season and when Brian Ferentz moved from center to guard he still made the line calls.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
I would say with a lot of confidence that Bulaga, Vandervelde, and Calloway are all near locks to make it in NFL camps.

I would say quite confidently that 4 of the OL that Iowa will have as either Jr's or Sr's in 09 will end up in NFL camps, to me, that is a lot better than just "decent".

Your very optimistic - wow thats unusual for a Hawk fan...

But, Richardson was supposed to be a SUPER STUD and you don't even mention him.....

We both agree that Olsen and Bruggeman are very good players - NFL caliber in your words.

However,would you take Vandervelde or Calloway over Bruggeman and Olsen????? Neither of which are projected to be drafted and yes, they will definitely get looks but the line of 02 had all 5 members get drafted in their respective year i believe - correct me if i'm wrong....Its a big difference between what you see as a DOMINANT player (NFL ready - drafted) and a very good player but not draft worthy and thus will not be contributing for several years if at all......

In my eyes, iowa has always had under Ferentz very good lines because of his ability to mold them into players. However, Bulaga is much like Gallery, simply a dominator.....tell me who else on this line dominates people. The answer is nobody dominates they are just sound in the fundamentals and produce. That's not a knock on anyone of them, its just simply a matter of fact that to say this line could be FANTASTIC is really shooting for the stars with a very broad statement and if it comes true you will be back to say i told you so, and if they fall flat on their faces as this line did two years ago, hawk fans will be siding on the lets get rid of KF bandwagon.......

we've seen this song and dance before......your not creating something fresh...simply same ol same ol!!!!!

I for one can appreciate the optimism as a cyclone fan thats the only thing we've had over the past 4-5 years.....

cmhawks99

Nov 15, 2008
Bourbonnais, Il
1st off Mr Jones here you go again. A logical argument ?!?!?! You are a very fair and reasonable poster about all things NOT Iowa. How much more logic do you need, 16 starters, their starting QB, most of their line and a very good D! Now logically that doesn’t guarantee anything for sure, but that’s plenty of logic right there.

KMAC,

I have always felt you too are about as biased and anti-Iowa as they come but that was a pretty reasonable assessment. With that said, if you are making fun of Iowa fans for having optimism about past players then you must be having a field day over here with the Bo Williams and Money Reynolds stuff. The previous poster was right, ISU fans pooh-pooh Iowa players as much as Iowa fans build them up and it’s about 50/50 how it goes. And for the record, ISU fans most assuredly said they had way better backs and they are doing so again already this year. Based on Iowa’s track record I don’t want to trade.

Now for the defense comments made by you and Jaratec,

You are 100% right no one ever knows how a position can be replaced. I know this though. In 2005 we replaced ALL 4 D-linemen 3 of which went on to the NFL. Guess what..... we still had a good D! By the by and contrary to popular belief KF pretty quickly suspends anyone where it isn't highly questionable. Obviously the details in this case are “shady” enuff that he likely isn’t alone in his guilt. Yeah I know it’s not at all likely an IC cab driver wasn’t offensively driving and called him names when he got out right?!? If he hasn’t be suspended already he wont be.

And Jaratec, if you truly believe the Big 10 only has one spread team in Illinois (of whom we beat the year before when they WERE good) then frankly I don’t know what too say. You’re just jealous that Iowa ALWAYS has a good D and in the last 8 years they have most assuredly played some really good O’s!

Here is the rub on Iowa. We have very good O-line depth and talent, but DJK is right, center is the driving force for us and it IS a question mark. If Eubanks starts he will make the line solid but not great IMO. As for the talent do you ever have enuff?!?!

As for the D, as long as KF and Norm are there we will always have a very good to great D. You guys that follow Iowa at all already know this whether you care to admit it or not. I’m not positive they can replace the D-tackles but I do think it is noteworthy they never moved the 285 LB DE’s down for spring practice. I’m big on logic and logically if they were concerned they’d at least have practiced one of them there and found a way to get Binns who IS the best pass rusher of the lot, on the field. Yet they didn’t do that so do the math. If Iowa doesn’t have solid D-tackles I’ll be shocked.

Leading to the fact that talent or no talent Iowa is a very ethereal team. It is true when they have been highly ranked (by the way 20th isn’t highly ranked) they have struggled. In 2007 they were top 15 or higher and yes they choked it off. Iowa is all about effort, focus and desire. They have terrific talent, but if they come in complacent they will lose to ISU and struggle to a 7-5 season. It all comes down to their mental makeup and it really is that simple.

I know from years of watching them and football in geneal they have plenty of talent to replace those lost. I also know if they have there heads up their arse it wont matter.

As an ISU fan that’s what you should hope for. A lazy, fat, over confident Iowa. All the lineup rationalization in the world doesn’t change the fact they have several Lbers, TE’s, O-linemen, DE’s and Sftys (even a CB too) with NFL potential. In 2006 and 2007 they sent several kids to the NFL as well, but they somehow still stunk it up.

Time will tell…………..

Chad

Last edited:

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006

Unfortunately for you, we're barely into spring... :wink:

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
...I do think it is noteworthy they never moved the 285 LB DE’s down for spring practice. I’m big on logic and logically if they were concerned they’d at least have practiced one of them there and found a way to get Binns who IS the best pass rusher of the lot, on the field. Yet they didn’t do that so do the math. If Iowa doesn’t have solid D-tackles I’ll be shocked.

Actually, they have moved the big guys inside during practice. Norm said they'll probably bring Binns in and move one of the DE's inside on passing downs.

hawkfan

Feb 18, 2009
KMAC -

I didn't mention Richardson because he is a wild card. If he can shake of the rust of not playing for 2 years and play over guys who have had that playing experience, then I should think he is easily an NFL OL.

Nowhere in my post did I say that Vandervelde or Calloway were better than Bruggeman or Olsen, however, I feel that with 2 more years Vandervelde will be equal to or better than Olsen, and thus will be drafted in 2011. I'm not saying Vandervelde is going to dominate this year, he will however be very good, and by the time he is done he will get drafted. Calloway, and you wait and see, will be drafted (maybe not highly, he might be a second day pick, but he will be drafted) in the 2010 draft.

One thing you are underestimating is the ability of Ferentz to develop NFL level offensive lineman. Experience on the Iowa OL usually equates to an NFL look, as long as you are not severely hampered by injuries, and experience is not something the Iowa OL has had as a unit in a few seasons, but that changes in 09 - the entirety of the Iowa OL are JR's and SR's (of course that sets up for a big turnover after the 2010 season, but we'll worry about that when we get there).

To answer your question specifically - I expect Bulaga, Vandervelde, and Calloway to all be dominant in their performances in 09 - obviously Bulaga is the most dominant of the three and I'm not saying that all three are on the same level. As Iowa offensive linemen mature they typically progress dramatically in their fundamentals and abilities, I expect that trend to continue with Vandervelde and Calloway. I think Vandervelde and Calloway are both guys that would rank in the top 20 at their position in college in 09. Bulaga is probably a top 5 kind of guy.

I'm excited to see who is closer to correct come fall...my guess is the OL is probably going to be better than what you are giving it credit for and probably not as good as I'm giving it credit for, or at least that would be the logical guess.

cmhawks99

Nov 15, 2008
Bourbonnais, Il
Actually, they have moved the big guys inside during practice. Norm said they'll probably bring Binns in and move one of the DE's inside on passing downs.

I remember you saying that and for Iowa that’s pretty normal. As you know when Iowa is at it's best they flop those guys in and out on the line. Point being they feel comfortable enuff they aren't moving one down permanently.

Chad

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
KMAC,
]I have always felt you too are about as biased and anti-Iowa as they come but that was a pretty reasonable assessment. With that said, if you are making fun of Iowa fans for having optimism about past players then you must be having a field day over here with the Bo Williams and Money Reynolds stuff. The previous poster was right, ISU fans pooh-pooh Iowa players as much as Iowa fans build them up and it’s about 50/50 how it goes. And for the record, ISU fans most assuredly said they had way better backs and they are doing so again already this year. Based on Iowa’s track record I don’t want to trade. [/FONT][/COLOR]

FYI cmhawk, i do try to realistically look at the situation - now sometimes it just gets to be completely rhetoric as a fellow hawk fan may be boasting about this or that which is common place for your fan base to see the need to seek out other teams websites to brag about your team for what reason i'm not sure.....but that's what hawkeye fans do - evidence of that is you on a cyclone webpage talking about me being anti hawkeye....well guess what....how many hawk fans on a hawk web board praise the cyclones....

I may be partial to the clones, but also am a huge sports fan and try to evaluate every situation differently regardless of the team. As i said earlier, if Iowa stumbles to a 7-5 record, Iowa fans would see that as a failure. ISU fans would be ecstatic about that record...Thats the difference - Iowa fans always think that their team is one of the best 25 teams in the land. As you have seen by my posts, Iowa was playing the best football in the big ten at the end of last year. However, i will not rule out the loss of two studs on the offensive line and defensive line and simply say oh this guy or that guy are just as good...if that were the case, then those two guys would not have been the starters!!!!!

Time will tell CMhawk, but, i will tell you this, unlike you trollin here, you will not see me on your website talking about the cyclones......that's the difference - your trollin looking for something to throw your two cents in on regarding your team and i'm on a cyclone web board trying to be realistic about expectations.....both for Iowa and ISU....

But neither of us know or control the outcome........

Good luck trollin......

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Get out of here. There is no way. I see them top 10, maybe top 5. :jimlad:

(South Carolina was terrible)

Before this year is over the hawks will miss another rose bowl but next year the hawks will win the national championship!!!

the hawks are simply the best...the management at KxNO

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
FYI cmhawk, i do try to realistically look at the situation - now sometimes it just gets to be completely rhetoric as a fellow hawk fan may be boasting about this or that which is common place for your fan base to see the need to seek out other teams websites to brag about your team for what reason i'm not sure.....but that's what hawkeye fans do - evidence of that is you on a cyclone webpage talking about me being anti hawkeye....well guess what....how many hawk fans on a hawk web board praise the cyclones....

I may be partial to the clones, but also am a huge sports fan and try to evaluate every situation differently regardless of the team. As i said earlier, if Iowa stumbles to a 7-5 record, Iowa fans would see that as a failure. ISU fans would be ecstatic about that record...Thats the difference - Iowa fans always think that their team is one of the best 25 teams in the land. As you have seen by my posts, Iowa was playing the best football in the big ten at the end of last year. However, i will not rule out the loss of two studs on the offensive line and defensive line and simply say oh this guy or that guy are just as good...if that were the case, then those two guys would not have been the starters!!!!!

Time will tell CMhawk, but, i will tell you this, unlike you trollin here, you will not see me on your website talking about the cyclones......that's the difference - your trollin looking for something to throw your two cents in on regarding your team and i'm on a cyclone web board trying to be realistic about expectations.....both for Iowa and ISU....

But neither of us know or control the outcome........

Good luck trollin......

It's the in-state rivals forum and this thread was started by an Iowa fan....you are adding fuel to the fire by contributing.

In regard to the highlighted comment; when their line is as deep as it is this year and last, I think Ferentz will side with the older more mature player. If two players are equal he will almost always side with maturity. He's even said that before.

Many Iowa fans see it as a weakness but Ferentz is loyal to his players almost to a fault sometimes. What I mean is, if a guy stays with them all 4 years and is a good student and stays out of trouble, Ferentz will reward that player. Sometimes he rewards them by playing them over a more talented younger player....Adam Shada...cough.....Jake Christiansen....cough

IAHAWKS757

Jan 1, 2009
Iowa City
It's the in-state rivals forum and this thread was started by an Iowa fan....you are adding fuel to the fire by contributing.

In regard to the highlighted comment; when their line is as deep as it is this year and last, I think Ferentz will side with the older more mature player. If two players are equal he will almost always side with maturity. He's even said that before.

Many Iowa fans see it as a weakness but Ferentz is loyal to his players almost to a fault sometimes. What I mean is, if a guy stays with them all 4 years and is a good student and stays out of trouble, Ferentz will reward that player. Sometimes he rewards them by playing them over a more talented younger player....Adam Shada...cough.....Jake Christiansen....cough

I dont think this thread was started by an Iowa fan.....