NENick

Feb 14, 2017
Ranked #21 in the country, NC State scored 24 points for an entire game at home.

Then scored 96 the very next game ... and still lost 113-96!

I posted in the pregame thread that I thought TCU was a scary game. I don't know why they've lost every prior conference road game, but Robinson is outstanding and they have a lot of talent. Davis, as a freshman, has now filled Fisher's spot. They're good.

Yep, extremely poor performance. I listened while driving to my brother's wife's funeral/Celebration of Life. I've moved on. Beat KSU! (And TCU, beat KU tonight!)

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
But it proves you are an idiot. A month ago you thought the season was toast and then you decided that it was going to be amazing? And now you are pissed again?

You are determined to be ticked off about Iowa State. You thrive in being angry and upset. You are a troll of the worst kind.

Yeah, Im a troll because Im passionate about my team. You think you are a "voice of reason" but you actually the biggest troll on this site. All you do is call people names who give any criticism of the team or coaching staff. I've seen alot of other people call you out also.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I don't know anyone who isn't enjoying this season. I think you can simultaneously enjoy this year and still be irritated that they likely won't reach their potential. I don't think those things are mutually exclusive.

What potential has not been reached so far? I’m genuinely curious

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Could? So they weren’t odds on favorites to win at the start of the season?

Do you know the difference between expectations and potential?

No one expected this team to win the Big 12. As the season has progressed, it has become clear that they are/were capable of it. It is also unlikely that it will happen.

This team has both exceeded any reasonable expectations, but will also likely not reach their full potential.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

No one expected this team to win the Big 12. As the season has progressed, it has become clear that they are/were capable of it. It is also unlikely that it will happen.

This team has both exceeded any reasonable expectations, but will also likely not reach their full potential.

Of course I do. The potential for this team is still high.

But how can you tell anyone or anything has maximized its potential before the season is over?

It’s possible this team will fall on its face, and swarthy will be thrilled because he’s an insecure little person hoping somehow it will show he’s not the lightweight he is. Maybe they will collapse and all the other prohm haters will be happy, as they would rather see Iowa state lose so they can complain.

Or, maybe this team will eek out a few wins while peaking, and have a chance at the conference championship? Maybe they will be playing it’s best basketball in March and go on a run In what really matters, the ncaa tournament.

We don’t know what will happen yet. This isn’t Back to the Future 2, and none of us have a sports almanac showing us the results of the season.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Of course I do. The potential for this team is still high.

But how can you tell anyone or anything has maximized its potential before the season is over?

It’s possible this team will fall on its face, and swarthy will be thrilled because he’s an insecure little person hoping somehow it will show he’s not the lightweight he is. Maybe they will collapse and all the other prohm haters will be happy, as they would rather see Iowa state lose so they can complain.

Or, maybe this team will eek out a few wins while peaking, and have a chance at the conference championship? Maybe they will be playing it’s best basketball in March and go on a run In what really matters, the ncaa tournament.

We don’t know what will happen yet. This isn’t Back to the Future 2, and none of us have a sports almanac showing us the results of the season.

I think the most likely outcome is they continue to play the way they have and finish either 11-7 or 12-6. They'll be in a good spot to make a Big 12 tournament run, or a second weekend of the dance run. And everyone should be pretty damn happy with that.

Obviously I don't know anything about the future. I'm saying what I think is likely, which is based on what has previously happened.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009

This team is certainly still capable of winning the Big 12 regular season title but the margin for error has greatly been reduced. I quite frankly think this team performs better with a chip on the shoulder rather than a target on their back. The slip up against TCU means the focus of "championship conversation" will revolve around Kansas and Kansas State and we should be able to slide under the radar for a couple more weeks.

The next four games at KSU, vs. Baylor, at TCU and vs. Oklahoma will decide whether we have an outside chance at a league title. They must go 3-1 and get to 10-5 with 3 to go. If we do that then we finish with at Texas, at West Virginia and vs. Texas Tech.

This team can still realize their full potential and I would prepare yourself for the "onslaught" of messages about "Bad Day for those people who think Steve Prohm can't coach" win the Cyclones win at Manhattan on Saturday. A few posters will have that soliloquy already drafted and saved and ready to send at 5:05 p.m.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
In sports we talk a lot about teams and players reaching their potential. The simple fact is that very few teams and players actually reach their potential. In a single college basketball season, probably 10 or fewer teams "reach their potential" and at least a couple of those don't even make the tournament. Reaching potential requires everything to go perfectly, which clearly wasn't going to be the case even before our first game. I'd much rather talk in terms of expectations, which we have certainly exceeded this year.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
In sports we talk a lot about teams and players reaching their potential. The simple fact is that very few teams and players actually reach their potential. In a single college basketball season, probably 10 or fewer teams "reach their potential" and at least a couple of those don't even make the tournament. Reaching potential requires everything to go perfectly, which clearly wasn't going to be the case even before our first game. I'd much rather talk in terms of expectations, which we have certainly exceeded this year.

I agree in theory that expectations have currently been exceeded if you look at everyone's thoughts pre-season. But we know that expectations will change throughout the year. For instance in 2015-16 we were a consensus Top 8 pre-season program. New head coach, Naz injury, McKay suspension, etc. and we finish at 10-8 in the conference and first round exit in the Big 12 tournament to Oklahoma (Final 4 squad). We won two games in the NCAA tournament and made it to the Sweet 16. Most people have argued, rightfully so, that this was a tremendously successful season. To make that argument that we "exceeded expectations" they obviously were adjusting their expectations from the beginning of the year based upon things that occurred in the interim.

I think its safe to say that after the Kansas game the expectations for this team became much more than just "making the NCAA tournament." Either way of looking at expectations is fine but it probably is important to be consistent.

Reactions: titleist

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
This team is certainly still capable of winning the Big 12 regular season title but the margin for error has greatly been reduced. I quite frankly think this team performs better with a chip on the shoulder rather than a target on their back. The slip up against TCU means the focus of "championship conversation" will revolve around Kansas and Kansas State and we should be able to slide under the radar for a couple more weeks.

The next four games at KSU, vs. Baylor, at TCU and vs. Oklahoma will decide whether we have an outside chance at a league title. They must go 3-1 and get to 10-5 with 3 to go. If we do that then we finish with at Texas, at West Virginia and vs. Texas Tech.

This team can still realize their full potential and I would prepare yourself for the "onslaught" of messages about "Bad Day for those people who think Steve Prohm can't coach" win the Cyclones win at Manhattan on Saturday. A few posters will have that soliloquy already drafted and saved and ready to send at 5:05 p.m.

Of course. I’m just glad we lost Saturday so you could post here again. If we lose Saturday, you will be able to continue til we win again, before disappearing