Deadwood, SD

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
Just got back from another trip to Deadwood, SD. I would just like to say I love that town!

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I just read about that in the paper. Can you expand on things to do, things you liked? We are looking at a 4-5 day extended weekend this summer.

Jonecy

Dec 5, 2006
3.5 Hours From Trice
If you're making a trip all the way out to the Black Hills, you need to do a lot more than stay in Deadwood and gamble. The Black Hills offer a lot to do and is one of the most beautiful mountainous areas east of the Rockies.

Here's a short list of some things to research/check out:
1. Stay at Sylvan Lake (camping, cabins or lodge) and hike up to Harney Peak (highest point east of the Rockies in the US). Apprx. 2-3 hour hike each way (total of apprx. 6 hours).
2. Drive through the needles highway
3. Mt. Rushmore
4. Crazy Horse Monument
5. Custer State Park
6. Pactola Reservoir (camping/boating/fishing)
7. Sheridan Lake & Rec area (camping/boating/fishing)
8. Deadwood/Lead
9. Spearfish Canyon

Again, if you're making a trip all the way out to the black hills, you're cheating yourself by only staying in Deadwood to gamble. You need to get out in the Black Hills National Forest and enjoy the scenery while you're there. In the summer, do some boating/camping/fishing and in the winter do some skiing/snowbiling.

http://www.blackhillsvacations.com/BlackHills/

Last edited:

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
If you're making a trip all the way out to the Black Hills, you need to do a lot more than stay in Deadwood and gamble. The Black Hills offer a lot to do and is one of the most beautiful mountainous areas east of the Rockies.

Here's a short list of some things to research/check out:
1. Stay at Sylvan Lake (camping, cabins or lodge) and hike up to Harney Peak (highest point east of the Rockies in the US). Apprx. 2-3 hour hike each way (total of apprx. 6 hours).
2. Drive through the needles highway
3. Mt. Rushmore
4. Crazy Horse Monument
5. Custer State Park
6. Pactola Reservoir (camping/boating/fishing)
7. Sheridan Lake & Rec area (camping/boating/fishing)
8. Deadwood/Lead
9. Spearfish Canyon

Again, if you're making a trip all the way out to the black hills, you're cheating yourself by only staying in Deadwood to gamble. You need to get out in the Black Hills National Forest and enjoy the scenery while you're there. In the summer, do some boating/camping/fishing and in the winter do some skiing/snowbiling.

The Black Hills of South Dakota - Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer State Park, Deadwood and more.

I am lucky to live in a place where there are more beautiful areas closer to me than Deadwood. I am not overcome by the beauty of the land. I do get to drive through the Big Horn Mountains on my way to Deadwood, which is one of my favorite places to camp in the summer.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I remember going there as a kid. I thought it was so awesome watching drunk Indians puke in the street, I'd never seen that before. Seems like a cool place to get back to as an adult, love that part of South Dakota.

Jonecy

Dec 5, 2006
3.5 Hours From Trice
I drive from WY, gamble and go home. :biggrin:

Don't get me wrong, Deadwood can be a great time (especially if you win some $$), but there's so much more to do if you're not the gambling type.

If someone does want to center their vacation around Deadwood, I would recommend staying there one of there festival weekends (i.e. Wild Bill Days in June, Deadwood Jam in September) because they block off main street and it's just a big party.

Wild Bill Days in Deadwood, South Dakota

Deadwood Jam Music Festival in the Black Hills of South Dakota

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I am lucky to live in a place where there are more beautiful areas closer to me than Deadwood. I am not overcome by the beauty of the land. I do get to drive through the Big Horn Mountains on my way to Deadwood, which is one of my favorite places to camp in the summer.
The drive through the Big Horn mountains is beautiful.

In regards to the Black Hills. Don't forget a drive to Devil's Tower and of course stop by The Badlands on the way out or back.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
There are a couple of pretty cool free history museums in Deadwood if your inot old west stuff . Just check into local tourist info. Black hills is great and don't forget to plan a drive through the Badlands on your way out or the way back. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay cool!

Jonecy

Dec 5, 2006
3.5 Hours From Trice
The drive through the Big Horn mountains is beautiful.

In regards to the Black Hills. Don't forget a drive to Devil's Tower and of course stop by The Badlands on the way out or back.

Yes, Devil's Tower and the Badlands are cool too, but those are aways away from the heart of the black hills. Most of the things I listed in my previous post are all within about an hour of each other.

Here's a pretty cool map that shows you the driving distance/locations of the main attractions in the hills....

Driving distances between popular Black Hills destinations in the Black Hills of South Dakota

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
There are a couple of pretty cool free history museums in Deadwood if your inot old west stuff .

The Mount Moriah Cemetery way up on the hill is pretty cool too, eternal home to multiple wild west characters including Wild Bill and Calamity Jane. You'll get a good workout hiking up to it from the main street...

Cycloin

Feb 5, 2009
Johnston
You gotta go to Swearingen's Steakhouse and have a bowl of Buffalo Chili and the parmesan crusted sirloin. It's worth the 10 hour drive alone. And try fishing the streams there, beautiful (see my avatar), plentiful, and not a lot of pressure.

How much did you win this trip 25?

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
I remember going there as a kid. I thought it was so awesome watching drunk Indians puke in the street, I'd never seen that before. Seems like a cool place to get back to as an adult, love that part of South Dakota.

I'm taking my 3 year old daughter there on this advice alone!

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Yes, Devil's Tower and the Badlands are cool too, but those are aways away from the heart of the black hills. Most of the things I listed in my previous post are all within about an hour of each other.

Here's a pretty cool map that shows you the driving distance/locations of the main attractions in the hills....

Driving distances between popular Black Hills destinations in the Black Hills of South Dakota
Yes, Devil's Tower is about 1 1/2 hour ride from Deadwood. I just figure if you are at the Black Hills and you have never seen it you should try to make it over. Once you get off the interstate it's a great drive. We rode back the back way on 24 then down 85 to Spearfish and through Spearfish canyon. Makes a nice afternoon ride.