DC Extended Universe

algonacy

Feb 19, 2012
Iowa
Watched WW84 last night finally. Terrible. That is all I will say. I have the original WW a 8/10 score and this one I gave a 5/10 just because Gadot is so beautiful. Campy trash is the best I can say.

Reactions: Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Am I the only one who looks at the final product of WW84 and almost have a hard time believing it is directed by the same person? I'll be interested to see if there is any future developments which come to light to shed some light as to maybe why this is so. Maybe not too. I guess we don't know at this point.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Heartbreak can be a terrible thing. But the idea that Diana is going to go 70 years still pining for the same dude is just absurd. And I love Chris Pine.

Reactions: Carlisle Clone

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Am I the only one who looks at the final product of WW84 and almost have a hard time believing it is directed by the same person? I'll be interested to see if there is any future developments which come to light to shed some light as to maybe why this is so. Maybe not too. I guess we don't know at this point.

It was confirmed by Patty Jenkins that WB made her change the ending, which is why it ends around Christmas time, despite taking place around the 4th of July. That certainly was a jarring addition, but it didn't add anything to the narrative.

Not seeing this in theaters definitely made me more critical of WW1984: My TV lost a row LEDs towards the bottom, which isn't noticeable for most widescreen movies. However, watching WW1984 the aspect ratio changed a couple of times:

* The opening scene with young Diana was wider shot (most likely for IMAX cameras)

* The rest of the film was typical widescreen

* The add-on ending was also shot in a different aspect ratio - didn't appear to be IMAX, but also didn't match the rest of the movie

I doubt I would have been able to notice these changes or really cared much if I saw this in theaters (The Dark Knight changes aspect ratio multiple times) but because of where & how I watched the movie it's one of the first things I think of.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
It was confirmed by Patty Jenkins that WB made her change the ending, which is why it ends around Christmas time, despite taking place around the 4th of July. That certainly was a jarring addition, but it didn't add anything to the narrative.

Not seeing this in theaters definitely made me more critical of WW1984: My TV lost a row LEDs towards the bottom, which isn't noticeable for most widescreen movies. However, watching WW1984 the aspect ratio changed a couple of times:

* The opening scene with young Diana was wider shot (most likely for IMAX cameras)

* The rest of the film was typical widescreen

* The add-on ending was also shot in a different aspect ratio - didn't appear to be IMAX, but also didn't match the rest of the movie

I doubt I would have been able to notice these changes or really cared much if I saw this in theaters (The Dark Knight changes aspect ratio multiple times) but because of where & how I watched the movie it's one of the first things I think of.

I've never been bothered at all myself by changes in aspect ratio on my TV. To each their own. If anything, I appreciate the aspect ratio changes as they tend to make those particular scenes or parts better and more fitting to what the director is trying to show you. I also watch at home on a big nice 4k TV, which may help.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think this is a very fair review. I think the plot was a little convoluted and confusing at times.

Yeah, I thought it was confusing and just not very good. If everyone in the world got their wish, there would be a billion big mansions and people would be wishing away all their neighbors. None of it made sense.

algonacy

Feb 19, 2012
Iowa
Heartbreak can be a terrible thing. But the idea that Diana is going to go 70 years still pining for the same dude is just absurd. And I love Chris Pine.

I would say she likely missed the "ideal" of Pine and his sacrifice more than she actually missed him. She cried about getting "one thing for herself", but I don't see anyone stopping her from getting one thing except herself. Anyway, who knows since the script was such a mess.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

While it has been rumored and hinted at for a long time, Harry Lennix confirmed Martian Manhunter appears in the Snyder Cut. Personally, I'm stoked to see the character finally, no matter how small the appearance. Not only do I think Harry Lennix could make for a great Martian Manhunter, but I just have come to love the character in general. His role in the Supergirl series might have been my favorite part of that TV show, which was well played by David Harewood.

Reactions: Carlisle Clone

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Ray Fisher confirms he has been removed from The Flash movie finally as it seems both he and Warner are both unwilling to give around Hamada's future. Now here is Warner's Response:

I hate to say it, but this whole thing has turned into one big poop slinging contest and the only thing guaranteed to come out of those is that everyone smells like poop. Its especially tough when none of us were there to see what exactly happened and all the accusations by Ray remain very broad and non-specific throughout this entire thing. I guess it is what it is, but regardless, I really like Ray's version of Cyborg so I'm sad to know I will likely never see that version again.

Last edited:

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
So, subscribe to HBO Max around the beginning of March, watch a few things leading up to the movie (I have been wanting to watch the new Watchmen series), then cancel right after watching the Snyder Cut.

Yeah, my plan will also be to pick up a month, knock a few things out alongside Snyder Cut, then cancel. I'm also wanting to see the new Denzel Washington movie on there "All the Little Things", while also letting my kids watch the new "Tom and Jerry" movie.

Beerbrat

Aug 17, 2011
Minneapolis
Yeah, my plan will also be to pick up a month, knock a few things out alongside Snyder Cut, then cancel. I'm also wanting to see the new Denzel Washington movie on there "All the Little Things", while also letting my kids watch the new "Tom and Jerry" movie.

FYI, at least for right now the new movies being released simultaneously are only on HBOMax for 28 days so the Denzel movie will be gone.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Hey @Triggermv did you post your thoughts on Titans anywhere in this thread?

Yeah, I was able to dig this up. Here is my S2 review:

(Non-Spoiler Review) So, I finished up Titans: Season 2 here recently and while it was still pretty decent, it was a clear step back for me from the first season. I still love most of the characters (didn't like Deathstroke's daughter), so where the season was definitely lacking was with its writing and storytelling. For instance on the first half of the season, the writers spent so much time in flashbacks and giving every single character a deep backstory that it really took its toll on the current story. Not only would I forget our bookmark of where we left off each time in the present, but the slog of the backstories got a bit tiresome as well. Then, in the second half of the season, I just plain didn't like a lot of the dialogue that was written and some of the very interesting directions the writers took with all the different stories, particularly for a few characters like Grayson and Gar. I hated some of those arcs. I thought Deathstroke as a villain suffered as a result of some of this as well. In the end, Deathstroke looked awesome and I really liked some things about him, but I just found him extremely underutilized, and he was the big bad of the season.The crappy arc of his daughter didn't help either. I ended up much preferring the Deathstroke of the Arrow TV series to this one, even though this one had a cooler costume. On the flip side, I'd say the biggest positives from this series came from the great additions and castings of most of the new characters or smaller characters from S1 which were explored more this season. A few examples would be Jason Todd (Robbin), Donna Troy, and Superboy. Donna Troy's costume was super dope. Therefore, its those characters, not the OK storyline from Season 2 that has me still excited enough about seeing a Season 3. Would love to hear other people's thoughts.

Here is my S1 Review:

(Non-Spoiler Review) So, I finally finished Titans: Season 1 on the DC Universe Streaming Service and here is my thoughts. As a preface to me going in, I've never been much of a Titans fan, did not enjoy the Teen Titans movie, haven't particularly liked the character of Robin ever, and didn't find any of the promo stuff going into the series, particularly the look and direction this series seemed to be going to be encouraging in the slightest. So, as you can guess, my expectations were pretty low. However, I did enjoy Swamp Thing, so that did bring up my expectations a bit I guess.

With all that said, I actually really enjoyed the series!! I thought the casting and acting was spectacular for pretty much everyone, most particularly Brenton Thwaites as Robin, Teagan Croft as Raven, and Ryan Potter as Beast Boy. I also really enjoyed the look, tone, cinematography, and feel of the series, which also included the character's costumes. I really like the Robin costume. Like stated above, I've never been a Robin fan, but Brenton has suddenly made me love the character and his story line in this series. All the bad rap the series got for the trailer, including the "F Batman" line (I hated seeing that in the promos), actually wasn't as bad as it appeared. It ended up fitting well into the story line they were telling. I just thought the writing in general was really pretty good and the visuals and fight scenes were on par to back it up too.

However, along those writing lines also maybe comes my one biggest criticism of the series, and that was the ending. It wasn't that it was necessarily bad, but I didn't love that the writers chose to finish the season on a monster cliff hanger with zero conclusion to anything in the season. Ultimately, its somewhat forgivable if S2 keeps rocking on well at the same pace, but I still like finding some type of conclusive satisfaction at the end of watching any TV show's season. Anyway, those are my thoughts and would love to hear anyone else's on here who have seen the season as well. Next up, I'm currently working my way through Doom Patrol S1.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
So, subscribe to HBO Max around the beginning of March, watch a few things leading up to the movie (I have been wanting to watch the new Watchmen series), then cancel right after watching the Snyder Cut.

Glad you brought that up. Just means I'll have to subscribe late February where there is just enough overlap to pick up all that stuff within a month.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Yeah, I was able to dig this up. Here is my S2 review:

(Non-Spoiler Review) So, I finished up Titans: Season 2 here recently and while it was still pretty decent, it was a clear step back for me from the first season. I still love most of the characters (didn't like Deathstroke's daughter), so where the season was definitely lacking was with its writing and storytelling. For instance on the first half of the season, the writers spent so much time in flashbacks and giving every single character a deep backstory that it really took its toll on the current story. Not only would I forget our bookmark of where we left off each time in the present, but the slog of the backstories got a bit tiresome as well. Then, in the second half of the season, I just plain didn't like a lot of the dialogue that was written and some of the very interesting directions the writers took with all the different stories, particularly for a few characters like Grayson and Gar. I hated some of those arcs. I thought Deathstroke as a villain suffered as a result of some of this as well. In the end, Deathstroke looked awesome and I really liked some things about him, but I just found him extremely underutilized, and he was the big bad of the season.The crappy arc of his daughter didn't help either. I ended up much preferring the Deathstroke of the Arrow TV series to this one, even though this one had a cooler costume. On the flip side, I'd say the biggest positives from this series came from the great additions and castings of most of the new characters or smaller characters from S1 which were explored more this season. A few examples would be Jason Todd (Robbin), Donna Troy, and Superboy. Donna Troy's costume was super dope. Therefore, its those characters, not the OK storyline from Season 2 that has me still excited enough about seeing a Season 3. Would love to hear other people's thoughts.

Here is my S1 Review:

(Non-Spoiler Review) So, I finally finished Titans: Season 1 on the DC Universe Streaming Service and here is my thoughts. As a preface to me going in, I've never been much of a Titans fan, did not enjoy the Teen Titans movie, haven't particularly liked the character of Robin ever, and didn't find any of the promo stuff going into the series, particularly the look and direction this series seemed to be going to be encouraging in the slightest. So, as you can guess, my expectations were pretty low. However, I did enjoy Swamp Thing, so that did bring up my expectations a bit I guess.

With all that said, I actually really enjoyed the series!! I thought the casting and acting was spectacular for pretty much everyone, most particularly Brenton Thwaites as Robin, Teagan Croft as Raven, and Ryan Potter as Beast Boy. I also really enjoyed the look, tone, cinematography, and feel of the series, which also included the character's costumes. I really like the Robin costume. Like stated above, I've never been a Robin fan, but Brenton has suddenly made me love the character and his story line in this series. All the bad rap the series got for the trailer, including the "F Batman" line (I hated seeing that in the promos), actually wasn't as bad as it appeared. It ended up fitting well into the story line they were telling. I just thought the writing in general was really pretty good and the visuals and fight scenes were on par to back it up too.

However, along those writing lines also maybe comes my one biggest criticism of the series, and that was the ending. It wasn't that it was necessarily bad, but I didn't love that the writers chose to finish the season on a monster cliff hanger with zero conclusion to anything in the season. Ultimately, its somewhat forgivable if S2 keeps rocking on well at the same pace, but I still like finding some type of conclusive satisfaction at the end of watching any TV show's season. Anyway, those are my thoughts and would love to hear anyone else's on here who have seen the season as well. Next up, I'm currently working my way through Doom Patrol S1.
I agree with a lot of your review. S1 was better than S2. The character adds in S2 were mostly great (outside of Deathstroke's daughter) and the season suffered from a little too much flashback stuff. I also would've liked them to lean more on Deathstroke and less on flashbacks as I thought he looked awesome. Overall I really really enjoyed the first 2 seasons though. Lots of great characters.

This series is definitely one of my favorite things in the DCEU. It feels like a DC comic come to life with the tone and all the characters. It reminds me of a live action and grittier version of the Young Justice series (which I also loved).

Reactions: Triggermv

Help Support Us

Become a patron