DC Extended Universe

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Sorry for the spoiler mode, but I don't want to reveal anything to those that haven't seen it yet. This is really a question to anyone that has watched it.

Why would the Germans hold a gala with some of it's most prominent military figures and members of society so close to a town that was just overrun by enemy soldiers? They weren't signing the armistice at the gala were they? They obviously knew about the town being overtaken since they launched the gas at the town, but nobody thought "Hey maybe a big fancy gala within a few miles of enemies with guns might not be the best timing?"

Sorry if I'm overanalyzing it. The whole gala scene didn't work that well for me outside of setting up Diana's reaction to the event. Maybe I need to re-watch it.

I'm glad you said that as that stuff you say about the gala bothered me as well. In fact, that was one of the biggets plot holes I initially noticed. With that said, I'm totally on board with the "why the gala?" question you've got for sure. However, since there was a gala, I guess I enjoyed what took place in it, particularly the conversations. But hey, if it means anything, I've been listening to a few podcasts where I think others feel that same area of the movie dragged on a bit too, so you aren't alone there.

Last edited:

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/just...eague-reshoots-said-to-be-substantial-a151634

Justice League heading back in for reshoots right now. Tough to gauge what to think of these anymore as pretty much all these movies have them, and some have come out good because of them (Rogue One, Wonder Woman), while some have signaled really bad things (Batman v Superman, Suicide Squad). The interesting thing here is the fact that all these reshoots are now written and directed by Joss Whedon, which I think will ultimately end up being a good thing.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Found these quotes from Patty Jenkins (Wonder Woman director) to be very interesting:

“I feel like one of the most ironically sexist things that happened to women heroes for so long was that they had universal storytelling taken away from them. So, male superheroes could have Lois Lane. They can have love, they can have vulnerability, they can have complexity. But women superheroes or strong women characters had to be, ‘I don’t need anyone, I’m the toughest person in the world.’ That’s not fair to anybody. No human being is an island like that.

“Chris Pine was a rare and special casting. We wanted a man who was a true parallel to Diana. A giant spirit who is the kind of man one aspires to be, but isn’t afraid to be complex and leave room for and even compliment another. He’s the kind of man women want to believe is out there. He’s also one of the best actors I’ve ever worked with.”

The bolded part above is why I think Wonder Woman is such a great movie, why Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman character is so charismatic and endearing in the film, and why I think Patty Jenkins is such a great director. She gets it. I think ultimately where many feminist ideals fall short is that "I don't need anyone, I'm the toughest person in the world" mentality and thought pattern when life, women, and men are much more complex than that. In fact, the strongest people out there I see find their strength through their complex interactions with everyone around them, and its those people that tell the most compelling stories. Men aren't that simple, and neither are women, and both have their innate strengths that make them great and special which shouldn't be downplayed.

Last edited:

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/just...eague-reshoots-said-to-be-substantial-a151634

Justice League heading back in for reshoots right now. Tough to gauge what to think of these anymore as pretty much all these movies have them, and some have come out good because of them (Rogue One, Wonder Woman), while some have signaled really bad things (Batman v Superman, Suicide Squad). The interesting thing here is the fact that all these reshoots are now written and directed by Joss Whedon, which I think will ultimately end up being a good thing.

It could be a good thing for the final movie product... but isn't Joss doing it because the Snyder's child committed suicide? In my book, that's a terrible thing. )=

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
It could be a good thing for the final movie product... but isn't Joss doing it because the Snyder's child committed suicide? In my book, that's a terrible thing. )=

I should clarify, you are right, good for the final movie product, but terrible circumstances. With that said, after doing more reading, it sounds like the new reshoots were written by Joss anyway. Therefore, probably the only difference is who is ending up directing them, which is now Joss.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Found these quotes from Patty Jenkins (Wonder Woman director) to be very interesting:

“I feel like one of the most ironically sexist things that happened to women heroes for so long was that they had universal storytelling taken away from them. So, male superheroes could have Lois Lane. They can have love, they can have vulnerability, they can have complexity. But women superheroes or strong women characters had to be, ‘I don’t need anyone, I’m the toughest person in the world.’ That’s not fair to anybody. No human being is an island like that.

“Chris Pine was a rare and special casting. We wanted a man who was a true parallel to Diana. A giant spirit who is the kind of man one aspires to be, but isn’t afraid to be complex and leave room for and even compliment another. He’s the kind of man women want to believe is out there. He’s also one of the best actors I’ve ever worked with.”

The bolded part above is why I think Wonder Woman is such a great movie, why Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman character is so charismatic and endearing in the film, and why I think Patty Jenkins is such a great director. She gets it. I think ultimately where many feminist ideals fall short is that "I don't need anyone, I'm the toughest person in the world" mentality and thought pattern when life, women, and men are much more complex than that. In fact, the strongest people out there I see find their strength through their complex interactions with everyone around them, and its those people that tell the most compelling stories. Men aren't that simple, and neither are women, and both have their innate strengths that make them great and special which shouldn't be downplayed.
That is an interesting article. Thanks for posting.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/wond...ments-on-returning-to-helm-the-sequel-a151688

Wonder Woman has already passed $300 million worldwide, which is solid. Also, it is interesting to see that Patty Jenkins only really signed a one-picture deal with WB, which I get why WB originally did it, but man, they are going to be paying for that mistake in some way shape or form now. The good news is that it looks like Jenkins wants to return. Now, it is only a matter of WB cranking open those pocketbooks and paying her, because there is no doubt other suitors out there who would love to sign her, Marvel and Star Wars likely being some strong candidates. Regardless, her coming back to Wonder Woman 2 is a no brainer for WB that needs to get done and what I'd ultimately like to see happen.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/wond...ments-on-returning-to-helm-the-sequel-a151688

Wonder Woman has already passed $300 million worldwide, which is solid. Also, it is interesting to see that Patty Jenkins only really signed a one-picture deal with WB, which I get why WB originally did it, but man, they are going to be paying for that mistake in some way shape or form now. The good news is that it looks like Jenkins wants to return. Now, it is only a matter of WB cranking open those pocketbooks and paying her, because there is no doubt other suitors out there who would love to sign her, Marvel and Star Wars likely being some strong candidates. Regardless, her coming back to Wonder Woman 2 is a no brainer for WB that needs to get done and what I'd ultimately like to see happen.

Marvel already had their shot with Jenkins. She was originally brought on to direct Thor: The Dark World and was THE reason why Natalie Portman came back. Natalie Portman wanted more from Jane Foster's character in the sequel which Jenkins was very keen on delivering. Portman had already signed on to the film when Jenkins was fired which kind explains her performance in that film and also why her character hasn't returned to the MCU.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: Rural and harimad

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Marvel already had their shot with Jenkins. She was originally brought on to direct Thor: The Dark World and was THE reason why Natalie Portman came back. Natalie Portman wanted more from Jane Foster's character in the sequel which Jenkins was very keen on delivering. Portman had already signed on to the film when Jenkins was fired which kind explains her performance in that film and also why her character hasn't returned to the MCU.

Yeah, that whole story interests me a lot. I know Patty's script was supposed to play out like a whole Romeo and Juliet thing, which at first thought, probably isn't exactly what I'm look for. However, now that I've seen her directing ability, I now look back and think, hey, maybe it would have been cool to see her vision play out.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Now that I've posted my Wonder Woman Review a few days ago, you all know me well enough by now to know I've eventually got to update my DCEU rankings as well to include it. Unlike the MCU, lets just say ranking the DCEU movies are A LOT easier. While a lot of that easiness comes from the large disparities in quality, some of that easiness simply is because they have less movies so far.
  1. Wonder Woman- Easily the best movie of the bunch with a pretty decent story and amazing direction, cinematography, acting and character introductions. This movie also oozes Wonder Woman's charisma, endearment, compassion, and heart.
  2. Man of Steel - Unlike many others, I actually really liked this movie, particularly the casting, the score, the cinematography, and the villain. Unlike many Marvel movie's villains, Zod actually had a point to being there.
  3. Suicide Squad - Had all the potential in the world to be a great movie, but just wasn't. Had some fun stuff, introduced some great characters, but suffered from terrible pacing, terrible villain, terrible editing, and too many plot holes. Deadshot and Harley Quinn were the highlights.
  4. Batman v Superman - Haven't walked away from any of these movies quite so disappointed, mostly due to expectations, as I REALLY wanted this to be good. Bad characterization, confusing plot, too many Easter eggs, too many plot holes, bad editing, too much CGI. While there were a few things I liked, particularly Affleck as Batman and Gadot as Wonder Woman, I really hope what this movie did wrong can be corrected.
You'll notice the different colors simply because the DCEU absolutely needs to be tiered since there is such a monstrous gap in quality between that first tier of movies and the second tier of movies.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Here's a list for your review - WatchMojo released their Top 10 Scenes of the DCEU. This came out before the release of Wonder Woman so it only consists of scenes from Suicide Squad, BvS and Man of Steel:

10. First Flight - Man of Steel
9. Bruce Wayne to the rescue in Metropolis - BvS
8. Superman v Faora - Man of Steel
7. Superman destroys the world engine - Man of Steel
6. The birth of Harley Quinn - Suicide Squad
5. Superman v Zod - Man of Steel
4. Batman v Superman - BvS
3. The final days of Krypton - Man of Steel
2. Batman's warehouse takedown - BvS
1. Batman/Wonder Woman/Superman v Doomsday - BvS

Reactions: Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
http://www.cbr.com/armie-hammer-shazam-dceu/

Some very interesting comments by Armie Hammer on whether or not he has actually been contacted about playing a DCEU character at all. Shoot, maybe he won't play any characters at all and this was something that just has been blown up by a few actors as well as fans. With that said, I still have about 95% confidence that dude will end up in some type of shared-universe role within the next 5 years, likely either Marvel or DC. I mean, the reality of the situation is that the dude is talented, has the look, and at the end of the day, tell me another talented actor who looks the part and ISN'T getting snatched up by some shared universe. Ultimately, the number of shared universes are growing exponentially and there is only so many bigger time actors of his caliber left to grab.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Joss Whedon has tapped Danny Elfman to take over the music writing for Justice League. Elfman is replacing Tom Holkenborg (known as "Junkie XL") who had previously scored BvS and also Mad Max: Fury Road.

I really want to hear a modern take on Elfman's original Batman theme.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/batman-and-spider-man-composer-danny-elfman-will-now-sc-1796113424

I'd say I'm probably okay with this beings how I really haven't been impressed too much yet by Junkie XL's work. Truthfully, I know he was working with Hans Zimmer side-by-side on the Batman vs Superman score, but other than the Wonder Woman song, I was SUPER underwhelmed by their work on that film. Shoot, even at first, I hated the Wonder Woman song too. On another note, I also see this as a pretty big signal that Joss Whedon is probably having a lot more impact on this film than maybe some people expected or what he has said publicly. I've been listening to some podcasts where word behind the scenes is that Joss is doing quite a bit to change things up.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Wonder Woman was fantastic. The "no mans land" scene was my favorite by far.

Only disappointment for me is that my 7 year old daughter wants to see it so bad and I just wish the whole sex dialog on the boat and the **** size dialog wasn't in it. I don't think I'll let her see it because of that.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
http://www.cbr.com/r-rated-dc-comics-film-possible/

Warner Bros President saying that he is definitely open to an "R" rated DC movie in the future. There had also been earlier rumblings that they were open to them, so this only confirms things. With that said, my opinion never changes on "R" rated comic book movies. DO NOT just make an "R" rated DC movie just to make one. However, if the source material justifies it, then I'm okay with it. With that said, I'm not sure I see any movie on their current slate that I'd like to see as "R" rated. Maybe Justice League Dark or like a solo Constantine outing would be alright.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
On the heels of the announcement that they have left production of the Han Solo movie, Phil Lord and Chris Miller have emerged as potential candidates to take over as co-directors for The Flash solo film. According to this article, they met with Warner Bros. during a production break of Han Solo and they even co-wrote a script for a Flash movie back in 2015.

http://www.thewrap.com/phil-lord-an...t-the-flash-during-han-solo-hiatus-exclusive/