Darryl from New Shannon on KXNO shows

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
My guess has always been Pella factory worker.

My guess also. They are usually done around 2 or 3. Plenty of time for good roadys and a couple at home for fanatics start.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
My guess also. They are usually done around 2 or 3. Plenty of time for good roadys and a couple at home for fanatics start.
giphy.gif

Waukee4Cy

Feb 4, 2020
I have never experienced any Fargo accents in my 18 years growing up in Northern IA. Spending a year in IC never came across a Bears Superfan accent. Spent 1 year living in Marion County and came across hundreds of people that had accents and dialects like they were from Mississippi. These were mostly people commuting from the lower tier or two counties to work. Growing up in the sticks of NW IA there were the occasional wannabe southern boys, but the lower tier of IA counties are something else.
Growing up, I had a ton of relatives in Wesley, IA. That's a small, northern town. Everyone I was related to, which was most of the town, talked exactly like Canadians.

Reactions: illinoiscyclone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Growing up, I had a ton of relatives in Wesley, IA. That's a small, northern town. Everyone I was related to, which was most of the town, talked exactly like Canadians.

I must sound like an Eskimo since I grew up less than 2 miles from Minny (about 30 miles farther north)

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
If you live in Iowa and have any sort of non-midwestern accent you're trying too hard.

Last edited:

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
But if it’s north of Oskaloosa is that southern Iowa? And isn’t that mostly Dutch country in that area?

There’s a distinct southern-ish dialect that people from Mahaska, Jasper, and Marion Counties have. It’s odd.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
My dad's parents sounded like they were from Kentucky. My mom's dad sounded like Jimmy Stewart and her mother sounded like a female version of Chuck Grassley. All from south central Iowa. My grandmother would say feeesh instead of fish.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

I grew up fairly close to there, so either I A) never noticed it because I have it too, or B) there are some random pockets of dialect around. It's funny, one of my good friends in HS moved in from SW IA, and we used to all mock his accent. It was not a southern accent, but there were some differences in how he pronounced vowel sounds.

I don't think I have the Canadian accent. I've never had anyone say that before, and I have quite a few friends that are lifelong Minnesota residents and they all sound like Canadians to me. And they are not even from Northern Minn, they are almost all from the Twin Cities.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Odd deal. All of my relatives who live out west - Arizona, Seattle, etc. - tell me I have a southern accent. A twang, if you will. But my relatives who live in the south - who have REAL southern accents - don't notice a thing. Where you live probably has a lot to do with what you hear.
Or everything to do with it.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I have never experienced any Fargo accents in my 18 years growing up in Northern IA. Spending a year in IC never came across a Bears Superfan accent. Spent 1 year living in Marion County and came across hundreds of people that had accents and dialects like they were from Mississippi. These were mostly people commuting from the lower tier or two counties to work. Growing up in the sticks of NW IA there were the occasional wannabe southern boys, but the lower tier of IA counties are something else.

I am from Marion County and I have an accent.

It is especially bad when I am drinking. It's like the alcohol draws the hick out of me.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Early in my professional career I was at a seminar with young engineers from all over the country. There was one kid from Mississippi. He had the thickest accent I'd ever heard. About 3-4 days into the class he'd evidently been called on it one too many times. He spoke up in the class quite loudly, "I don't talk any different from y'all!" It was quite funny.

That said, I love to listen to different accents and different word usages that are regional. One I've noticed from southern Iowa is they pronounced 'fish' FEESH. And the dog leash is a LISH.

I always find it funny when people pronounce things like "warsh." There's no r in it, but yet people always bring out an R.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Grew up in New Sharon, town of 1200. I have never met this Derek/Derrick from NS. I'd be curious as to how he sounds when he's sober, because sometimes when I used to drink with friends down in that area, they'd bring out the draw more when they've got alcohol in their system. Some from my school made it a point to talk like that, no clue why. But when traveling to other parts of the state I was/am told I have an accent.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I always find it funny when people pronounce things like "warsh." There's no r in it, but yet people always bring out an R.

Yeah there are some things in dialect that are just inexcusable and people that say it should be ridiculed until it is shamed out of their speech.

Number one is Warsh/Warshington. While not as bad, number two is ending the days of the week with "EE". Fridee, Saturdee...

While we're at it, the same goes for people that say "I seen..."

Last thing, there's no way as a country we should've ever went along with the whole "Favre" pronunciation farce. Acting like it was anything other than some illiterate hillbilly botching the pronunciation is embarrassing. I remember being a kid and it bothered me so much when people just said "well that's the way it's pronounced," like if it's your name you get to just make up unprecedented language rules. Sorry, pronouncing consonants in reverse order is not a form of pronunciation, it's showing that you can't read.

Reactions: Lyon309Cy

CycloneRoss

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2010
There’s a distinct southern-ish dialect that people from Mahaska, Jasper, and Marion Counties have. It’s odd.
Yeah, I'm from rural Jasper County. I don't think it's a "southern" accent per se, but you definitely hear people with a rural dialect that's hard to describe.

Last edited:

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
It's just a redneck accent. Pretty common in the rural parts of our state.
To be fair, redneck/hick/southern goes hand in hand. I think it comes down to racin' communities. My dad is from Sigourney and his family in the area sounds like:

Ever been to Boone?

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
I did some work in a city north of Kansas City and those people had the thickest southern accent I've ever heard in the midwest. I traveled about 3 hours from my home and was somehow in the deep south. I thought I went through some portal.

Reactions: CyBobby

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
It's just a redneck accent. Pretty common in the rural parts of our state.
I know a guy born and raised in central Illinois. He as an accent and I think it is, in fact, more redneck than anything. No other explanation for it.