Cytown Update

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Ames residents voted down the convention center expansion on the Scheman Building.

Don't forget the "no" vote on a 2% hotel/motel tax increase, which would have helped fund Hilton renovations.

The "no" voters weren't smart enough to understand that the tax would have been imposed on visitors, and not the people actually voting.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Yeah, I'm pretty stoked about that project, however expanding Scheman would have been a tremendously valuable project for both ISU and Ames.

I believe there are conflicting reports on the economic impact of expanding Scheman. The initial estimates of economic impact were inflated according to reporting around the time of the vote. The Linc looks like a pretty cool option, especially with a hotel as part of the project. I don't believe the Scheman expansion plan included a hotel.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
It's basically commercial real estate, it should have to pay taxes.

On a side tangent... SOOOOO many cities and states give out tax abatement for sometimes 10 years to entice companies to build/come in. While I understand it's to bring jobs and infrastructure, it also continues to kill major revenue streams that could go back into the community, roads, schools, etc.
0% of $0 is still $0. So, if getting an investment that brings jobs and will raise sales tax revenue means trading 10 years of RE taxes, that I wouldn't have gotten previously, how is that not worth it? Is there a cost to the city for infrastructure, sure there is. But long term, they will make a pretty good tax on a project that not otherwise would have happened.

This doesn't apply to CyTown, that is different, and I am haven't made up my mind on the RE tax issue. Most of the infrastructure issue will be on the University, Fire and Police with the city, so maybe some form of reduced tax makes sense.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
It has nothing to do with the recent Ames nimby thing but the fact that Campus town and downtown Ames are in two separate areas of the city is unfortunate. Probably because of the history of the city the campus and the actual city of Ames were much more distinct and separate but it's led to two fine central business districts but if it were one area it'd be much healthier, most other college towns have two Downton areas. And I feel like the relationship with the city would be better if all our eggs were in one basket.

I don't know where I'm going with this besides BRING BACK THE DINKEY NOW. You could put a stop by CyTown. Connect em all.

Reactions: croelfs10

jackrabbit

Dec 2, 2006
What I've always thought we be great for the block between Lincoln Way and Chamberlain and Welch and Hayward is if the University purchased the entire block.

On the south half of the block have a large building designed like Friley or a large Dutch urban apartment building. Inside the building would be: Admissions, University Records, Career Centers for each college, Student Health Center, other offices from Beardshear. The north half of the block would be a large plaza with a central fountain or statue.

In addition, maybe turn the Friley turret into a giant cuckoo clock facing the plaza. The Methodist Church stained glass window would be to the west of the plaza. To the east would be the four story Kingland commercial building. The plaza would have a very European feel to it and would become a center piece of the Iowa State Campus. The parking garage on Hayward would be an easy place for perspective student families to park and cross the street to the Admissions office. College recruiters would have an easy place to park.

The current student health building would be given to the College of Engineering. Beardshear Hall could be converted to a general service classroom building. This would help keep more students close to the center of campus for entry level classes. And the Current Admissions (Old Alumni Hall) building could be used for the President's office. (Wasn't sure where to post this so I posted in both Downtown Ames and Cy-town threads).

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Don't forget the "no" vote on a 2% hotel/motel tax increase, which would have helped fund Hilton renovations.

The "no" voters weren't smart enough to understand that the tax would have been imposed on visitors, and not the people actually voting.

I love Ames, but the city council and the residents have no interest in bringing the city into the 21st century. This is coming from a friend of mine formerly on the council.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Pretty sure the lessees will still have to pay property taxes on their respective areas and sales tax, but the university won't have to pay (and shouldn't have to pay) taxes on the ground they own.
I understand. I'm probably way out on an island with this - but I think athletics and entertainment should still be charged tax as it's not an educational aspect of the school. But I also think the same of pro leagues that get tax advantages.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
It has nothing to do with the recent Ames nimby thing but the fact that Campus town and downtown Ames are in two separate areas of the city is unfortunate. Probably because of the history of the city the campus and the actual city of Ames were much more distinct and separate but it's led to two fine central business districts but if it were one area it'd be much healthier, most other college towns have two Downton areas. And I feel like the relationship with the city would be better if all our eggs were in one basket.

I don't know where I'm going with this besides BRING BACK THE DINKEY NOW. You could put a stop by CyTown. Connect em all.
Make CyRide free?

I don't even know if current ridership would make that feasible, or if the city would have an interest in spending money toward getting more students to access things downtown, they may not.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
I understand. I'm probably way out on an island with this - but I think athletics and entertainment should still be charged tax as it's not an educational aspect of the school. But I also think the same of pro leagues that get tax advantages.
Pro teams getting tax advantages is no different than businesses getting tax advantages. My company got nearly $1 billion in tax cuts from Kansas City for building a new campus that was supposed to include building a new strip mall and hotel. So far they've only delivered on the hotel and it's caused some uproar.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

I agree, so you might want to rethink your idea based on that.
I also don't think Cytown or the Linc have great chances for success unless Ames is going to undergo some massive, unexplainable explosion of growth.

• Funny
Reactions: Jer

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

I'm in for horse travel. Romantic except for the poop

636096170218030000.jpeg

• Winner
Reactions: BACyclone

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I remember when Ames residents howled when they shut down Carr Pool. It took years for Ames residents to get a new aquatic center. These same Ames residents shot down a wellness center for years, then complained about what fitness center charges are.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
I'm in for horse travel. Romantic except for the poop

View attachment 125422
Reminds me of a story my grandpa used to tell about how his mom and dad would take the horse and buggy to dances from Tama to I think Grinell every few months. Drink way to much, hop in the buggy and just yell "home", pass out and wake up at home.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I remember when Ames residents howled when they shut down Carr Pool. It took years for Ames residents to get a new aquatic center. These same Ames residents shot down a wellness center for years, then complained about what fitness center charges are.

I'm pretty sure the aquatic center opened two years before Carr Pool was closed.

It's not a single mind. Some people want things and others don't.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Like I said before, the culture of "no," no matter what, in Ames is so toxic and exhausting. Ankeny is a lot bigger today than it should be, because Ames says no to so much.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
It was the fitness centers in town, that helped coalesce opposition to the wellness center. It was sort of like the fox convincing the chickens they didn't need a new fence. At the end of the day, I can't blame them, but they weren't exactly motivated by what was good for the community. They were looking out for their own interests, which is probably all anyone could expect.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Bingo, especially growth and development within our existing borders to increase the tax base without having to build exorbitant amounts of new services like sewer, water, etc., while adding amenities that "place make" places people want to be.
Water and sewer should be paid by water and sewer.