Cytown Update

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
I find it curious that all of a sudden everywhere that there are football or baseball stadiums is suddenly a move to develop an entertainment center adjacent (in this case entertainment and medical). Someone must have held a conference somewhere that featured this idea two, three, or four years ago.

The KU football field redevelopment plan will take all of the existing adjoining parking lots to create theirs. The remaining parking will be reserved to the new businesses. They have no plan for replacing game day parking.

The new KC Royals owner wants this on a new site in downtown KC so he can own, control, and profit from all surrounding restaurant and tavern development.

The problem with all of them, including the ISU plan, is that they will take all or a large portion of the close-in parking. How far away will our basketball fans and concert attendees have to walk in the cold snow in January? How many of the adjacent parking spaces will be reserved to the businesses and not accessible during games? Will ISU have to build a parking ramp near the Concert, BB, or FB stadiums and how much will that cost? Will fans/patrons have to walk from the campus parking ramp to games and concerts?

I only have one word: Stupid. State Universities do not need to develop every square inch so they can make profits for developers. What is next, a Menards and Wataburger next to the Campanile on central campus?
I'll put my next paycheck down that you're one of the geezers in the comment section on every Iowa State Athletics Facebook post that has an update on the project whining about how "we're losing parking" despite not reading a damn thing about the project and not realizing we aren't losing parking.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I'll put my next paycheck down that you're one of the geezers in the comment section on every Iowa State Athletics Facebook post that has an update on the project whining about how "we're losing parking" despite not reading a damn thing about the project and not realizing we aren't losing parking.
Net parking gain, but we decided with how long it took us to get out of town the one time we parked in the grass lots last year to just keep parking on central campus. Not sure if CyTown plans include improved traffic flow when even more cars will be leaving the area at same time. At least I think walking through it will help with the battle between cars and pedestrians after the game hopefully.

JP just needs to go full entertainment and build a monorail so people can still park easily at the old K-Mart!;)

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Net parking gain, but we decided with how long it took us to get out of town the one time we parked in the grass lots last year to just keep parking on central campus. Not sure if CyTown plans include improved traffic flow when even more cars will be leaving the area at same time. At least I think walking through it will help with the battle between cars and pedestrians after the game hopefully.

JP just needs to go full entertainment and build a monorail so people can still park easily at the old K-Mart!;)

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011

Put Jamie in touch with the folks at Disney! They know all bout monorails, skyways etc... Let's do it! Go big, or go home!

LancelotClone

Apr 18, 2018
Who the **** wants to go there if it isn’t a game day? Seems like a huge gamble to make a destination resort rather than an entertainment district.
Per the release by Sports Illustrated Resorts, Travel + Leisure Co. and Sports Hospitality Ventures, LLC, the venue will include a full-service hotel, condominiums, vacation ownership club, signature SI Fit Health/Wellness Center, restaurants and entertainment.

Sounds like a destination resort, residential, and entertainment district rolled into one.

OldCurmudgeon

Nov 25, 2017

Or put a dam on Ioway Creek and boat people up towards the stadium. :D

Cyclone Pfan

Dec 7, 2022
I haven't attended an ISU sporting event in person since 2019/20 school year when I had season tickets and parking pass between Hilton & JT. So I haven't experienced the parking changes.

During my time as a season ticket holder (2007-2020) I think our fans had one of the best parking setups in the country for football & hoops. So it's natural to be critical of any changes, because any change was/is going to diminish the close proximity of parking to events.

But as long as the Athletic Department is finding new parking areas, they are meeting fans needs. Maybe the AD will need to provide shuttle services or promote on campus options. Heck, I parked at MU ramp when I was arriving close to game time to avoid traffic around Hilton or JT. A 10-15 walk isn't a big deal for most. And sometimes it makes leaving after the event quicker.
It sure would be nice to have hay-rack rides from the G lots to the south entrance.

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

VoiceOfReason

Aug 21, 2016
I find it curious that all of a sudden everywhere that there are football or baseball stadiums is suddenly a move to develop an entertainment center adjacent (in this case entertainment and medical). Someone must have held a conference somewhere that featured this idea two, three, or four years ago.

The KU football field redevelopment plan will take all of the existing adjoining parking lots to create theirs. The remaining parking will be reserved to the new businesses. They have no plan for replacing game day parking.

The new KC Royals owner wants this on a new site in downtown KC so he can own, control, and profit from all surrounding restaurant and tavern development.

The problem with all of them, including the ISU plan, is that they will take all or a large portion of the close-in parking. How far away will our basketball fans and concert attendees have to walk in the cold snow in January? How many of the adjacent parking spaces will be reserved to the businesses and not accessible during games? Will ISU have to build a parking ramp near the Concert, BB, or FB stadiums and how much will that cost? Will fans/patrons have to walk from the campus parking ramp to games and concerts?

I only have one word: Stupid. State Universities do not need to develop every square inch so they can make profits for developers. What is next, a Menards and Wataburger next to the Campanile on central campus?
It's a modification of an idea stolen from professional sports owners.

1. Have taxpayers build a new stadium in a relatively remote or under-developed area.

2. Buy all the land around the stadium yourself for well-below market rates before construction begins.

3. Develop the land around the stadium site as the stadium is being built.

4. Sell the developed land/businesses for insane profits once the stadium is complete.

It's happened time and time again and is why we shouldn't build shiny buildings for billionaires.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Hey hey hey! Not all of us 'geezers' think that.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020

This will probably get answered, but there will be more parking with CyTown vs. the current set up.

Reactions: Cloneon

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
This will probably get answered, but there will be more parking with CyTown vs. the current set up.
Just moving the RVs out to a purpose built lot, increased the number of spaces between Hilton and JTS. Close to equal the amount that CyTown will take up. Then adding all the new spaces around Hilton/Stephens. Then redesigning them to more efficiently use the space.

People that continue to complain that we are losing parking, seem to have blinders on, because this has been debunked time and time again.

From what I remember the net gain of spots from beginning of the project to completion is supposed to be in the range of 300-500. That doesnt include paving any of the current grass lots, the possibility of a parking ramp, (which I seen one talked about in the area of Alumni Hall, or in conjunction with a Hotel.)

We are not losing parking, and when its all done most people will have similar distance parking to everything as they had before, if not the same.

There are issues right now during construction, there are issues with getting in and out on game days, but this has always been a problem, and there are some issues with losing game day RV lot and the price it takes to get a spot. But these issues may be taken care of/maybe not/ as the project moves on.

But overall for tailgating I have not seen a huge disruption in the atmosphere in the lots.

Reactions: 2Xclone and Messi

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
But overall for tailgating I have not seen a huge disruption in the atmosphere in the lots.
No disruption in ours because it’s the same as in the past.

Regarding the eventual straight-in parking for all spaces, I fervently hope there will also be designated traffic flow plans included. Otherwise vehicles can drive both ways in every lane, right?

Reactions: 2speedy1

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008

Drive down main street in KC from UMKC to the WW1 museum next time you're in KC. Extending the street car will be fine once it's done but holy hell has it been a mess for like 2 years.

• Informative
Reactions: carvers4math

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Just moving the RVs out to a purpose built lot, increased the number of spaces between Hilton and JTS. Close to equal the amount that CyTown will take up. Then adding all the new spaces around Hilton/Stephens. Then redesigning them to more efficiently use the space.

People that continue to complain that we are losing parking, seem to have blinders on, because this has been debunked time and time again.

From what I remember the net gain of spots from beginning of the project to completion is supposed to be in the range of 300-500. That doesnt include paving any of the current grass lots, the possibility of a parking ramp, (which I seen one talked about in the area of Alumni Hall, or in conjunction with a Hotel.)

We are not losing parking, and when its all done most people will have similar distance parking to everything as they had before, if not the same.

There are issues right now during construction, there are issues with getting in and out on game days, but this has always been a problem, and there are some issues with losing game day RV lot and the price it takes to get a spot. But these issues may be taken care of/maybe not/ as the project moves on.

Well stated and I agree. ISU has our fair share of negative fans on any topic. When you combine normal negativity while being misinformed about Cytown, it has been a toxic environment for these negative nannies.

Reactions: 2speedy1

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Well stated and I agree. ISU has our fair share of negative fans on any topic. When you combine normal negativity while being misinformed about Cytown, it has been a toxic environment for these negative nannies.

Along with the "back in my day" people who are still upset about Reiman Gardens, and no longer being able to park in the grass west of the stadium for $3.