Cyclones open as two-point favorite in Cy-Hawk 2019

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Seems about right. Iowa will have 2 games to prepare and ISU 1. So I'd assume some rust still from the cyclones which would explain the low number.

• Funny
Reactions: Gonzo

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
One of CMC's biggest faults IMO is his slow starts. That Iowa game last year was SO frustrating. Sure, Kempt got hurt in the 1st half, but that doesn't mean you have to go straight plain vanilla the rest of the game and not even make an attempt offensively to win the game, but instead just try to keep it close, but that's exactly what we did.

We didn't even try to throw deep to Butler, or run any counters or misdirection, etc. We just tried to run right into the teeth of Iowa's defense and play right into their hands. We need to be ready to play from game 1 every year instead of taking until game 3 or 4 to get up to speed if we ever want to win more than 7 or 8 games.

Kempt was injured in the 4th quarter.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
What is Jack Trice worth in the spread?

I think currently that would be a factor a bit. Every year it seems there's a game or two where the claim 'I've never heard it so loud in there' comes up.

I mean, who's not having fun in this picture? (besides the TCU players)

Reactions: Naddafinga

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
What is Jack Trice worth in the spread?

about-three-fiddy.jpg

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Kempt was injured in the 4th quarter.

Makes it even more odd that CMC tried absolutely nothing on offense then. I was thinking Kempt was injured in the 2nd qtr, but you're right.

Like I said though, I have no idea what the game plan was offensively in that game, or for much of the season in all reality. We never even tried to open it up at all.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Iowa would basically be favored on a neutral field, let's just say that.

We're ranked ahead of Iowa in most preseason polls, and we're at home, but Iowa is still basically favored on a neutral field. But I have no issue with that at all. It's not disrespectful until we can prove we can beat them IMO.

One of CMC's biggest faults IMO is his slow starts. That Iowa game last year was SO frustrating. Sure, Kempt got hurt in the 1st half, but that doesn't mean you have to go straight plain vanilla the rest of the game and not even make an attempt offensively to win the game, but instead just try to keep it close, but that's exactly what we did.

We didn't even try to throw deep to Butler, or run any counters or misdirection, etc. We just tried to run right into the teeth of Iowa's defense and play right into their hands. We need to be ready to play from game 1 every year instead of taking until game 3 or 4 to get up to speed if we ever want to win more than 7 or 8 games.

Eh, as far as full season results are concerned, the slow start is fine by me as it stands. There was once a 6-1 start that seemed quite rosy and then ISU football happened. It's been pretty fun to watch the team develop and really play some nice football by mid-October.

TCU game was a tough one to stomach though considering how things turned out.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Have we ever been favored against Iowa?

The article just says in 2000. The only other time we may have been favored since the return of the game would have been the late 70’s early 80’s. I would guess we were definitely favored in ‘78 being ranked.

P.S. Does anyone have insight to why we had to play in Iowa City the first four straight years after the series was brought back? When do we get our four straight in Ames?

Last edited:

Sevey

Jun 16, 2007
Adel
The article just says in 2000. The only other time we may have been favored since the return of the game would have been the late 70’s early 80’s. I would guess we were definitely favored in ‘78 being ranked.

P.S. Does anyone have insight to why we had to play in Iowa City the first four straight years after the series was brought back? When do we get our four straight in Ames?
I believe when the contract was set up to renew the series, Iowa State still played at Clyde Williams field and it held only about 33,000 capacity. Kinnick held around 59,000 at this time so games were played in the bigger stadium. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I recall.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Makes it even more odd that CMC tried absolutely nothing on offense then. I was thinking Kempt was injured in the 2nd qtr, but you're right.

Like I said though, I have no idea what the game plan was offensively in that game, or for much of the season in all reality. We never even tried to open it up at all.

Pretty sure our DL had something to do with that.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
I believe when the contract was set up to renew the series, Iowa State still played at Clyde Williams field and it held only about 33,000 capacity. Kinnick held around 59,000 at this time so games were played in the bigger stadium. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I recall.

Jack Trice opened in ‘75 (as Cyclone Stadium) series was brought back in ‘77, so I have a feeling the Hawk AD was just being a turd sandwich and making those demands.

Sevey

Jun 16, 2007
Adel
Jack Trice opened in ‘75 (as Cyclone Stadium) series was brought back in ‘77, so I have a feeling the Hawk AD was just being a turd sandwich and making those demands.
I was a freshman at Iowa State in 1975, the first year Cyclone Stadium was open. I recall knowing Iowa was going to be on our schedule a few years before that and we were still playing at Clyde. Not sure why the first four were in Iowa City but pretty sure stadium size was a factor.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

The 1977 and '78 games were scheduled in 1968. The 1979-82 games were scheduled in 1969. All 6 were to be in Iowa City, because of the stadium size difference. In the spring of '75 (just before "ISU Stadium" opened), it was agreed to move the 1981 game to Ames.

Also, there was a lot of huffing and puffing by the UI Board of Control (above the AD) about not playing the 1979-82 games, because they claimed to not have authorized the AD to schedule those additional 4. It took the BOR and an outside arbitrator to determine that UI did indeed have to play those 4 games.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
I was a freshman at Iowa State in 1975, the first year Cyclone Stadium was open. I recall knowing Iowa was going to be on our schedule a few years before that and we were still playing at Clyde. Not sure why the first four were in Iowa City but pretty sure stadium size was a factor.

Maybe, but the capacity of Cyclone Stadium/Jack Trice didn’t change from ‘76-‘94 (according to good ole Wikipedia). So something seems a little crooked. Of the total 66 games, only 27 have been played in Ames. I say we are due for a few 2 home and 1 away series, haha.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
I think it took CPR 4 years to beat Iowa. Could be the magic number. I would just like to see an ISU team start hot this season and stay that way rather than looking like they don't know what they are doing the first few weeks. It would be nice to get a comfortable win vs UNI and then beat Iowa and cruise against ULM.

D

Deleted member 8507

I seem to remember reading an article how Iowa AD refused to play unless games were in Iowa City. After three years, they finally agreed to alternate (with the next year in Iowa City again of course).

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I seem to remember reading an article how Iowa AD refused to play unless games were in Iowa City. After three years, they finally agreed to alternate (with the next year in Iowa City again of course).

Yes, it was part of the original agreement to revive the series. Iowa had to be sort of 'bribed' to schedule ISU. We were doing very well in football at the time and Iowa was in about year 15 of pure ****.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Pretty sure our DL had something to do with that.
People keep talking about Kempt going down, which certainly hurt, but our OL - which was mediocre to begin with - was all kinds of jazzed up. Campbell started someone at center who didn't play there regularly because the starter was a freshman who would have been making his first start on he road in a rivalry game. That meant one other OL was also playing out of position, and certainly screwed up any rotation they were planning. Had we played more than 60 seconds against SDSU, our normal center may have started and our OL may have fared better.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...ive-line-to-improve-20180908?template=amphtml

Edited to fix link.