NBA: Cyclones' off-season: contracts, draft, summer league

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Well, it looked like Deonte vs. Marial on paper but Shayok has not played and it's the 4th quarter of the Thunder - 76ers game. I'm guessing that's just a numbers thing to get some time for other guys since he's locked into a 2-way deal already.

Deonte at the moment is only 2-7 from the field; he hasn't set the summer league on fire with his scoring this year so far. But he's probably fun for the fans to see in warm-ups ....

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Well, it looked like Deonte vs. Marial on paper but Shayok has not played and it's the 4th quarter of the Thunder - 76ers game. I'm guessing that's just a numbers thing to get some time for other guys since he's locked into a 2-way deal already.

Deonte at the moment is only 2-7 from the field; he hasn't set the summer league on fire with his scoring this year so far. But he's probably fun for the fans to see in warm-ups ....

I wish I could've watched this one. That 76ers summer league looks like an interesting one with Thybulle and Zhaire Smith. Those two could make a lot of NBA guys struggle before they're done. And then they have Jemerrio Jones who is one of the most incredible rebounders you will ever see. And Shayok. And Norvel Pelle. I really got to make it Vegas next year for summer league. I bet if you do your research you can make some $$ gambling on summer league. You probably have a lot of casual fans putting $$ on summer league games so if you put in some effort you can get an edge.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Naz trying to guard Tacko:
FB-IMG-1562671661779.jpg

Also a nice article:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cl...-with-cleveland-cavaliers.html?outputType=amp

Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
In the Raptors' win over the Knicks in the SL, Lindell got 13 minutes but went 1-7 from the field and 0-4 from 3 for 3 total points. His struggles from the field can't be helping him land a G-League (or 2-way) contract.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
In the Raptors' win over the Knicks in the SL, Lindell got 13 minutes but went 1-7 from the field and 0-4 from 3 for 3 total points. His struggles from the field can't be helping him land a G-League (or 2-way) contract.
I haven't looked but I think he's like 2-15ish from the field.

• Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016

Good lord he threw that down hard.

Deonte's not having a great summer league though, so far. He played 19 minutes in this one and only went 1-2 with 5 pts. With the roster chaos that OKC has - now they have too many under contract - anyone without a guarantee is vulnerable and his contract isn't guaranteed until August. Let's hope he manages some big games to showcase his potential a bit more.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Cam Lard got a DNP in the Magic's last SL game. They seem to have a BIG roster for the SL and there is some rotation going on as to who plays a given game.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Shayok started out well and then went cold in the 76ers' loss to Detroit. He ended with 11 pts in 22 MIN, 4-14 FG, 2-4 3pt, 5 REB, 4 AST, 2 TO.

Last edited:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Fansided's Kingjamesgospel.com (maybe not a good long-term branding choice for a Cavaliers fan forum) has a write-up on Naz, speculating that he could be offered a 2-way deal (along with KSU's Dean Wade). Here is the opening:

Naz Mitrou-Long has been a consistent performer in NBA Summer League play for the Cleveland Cavaliers, and is making his case for their other two-way spot going into next season.
Depending on how the J.R. Smith situation works itself out, as well as whether the Cleveland Cavaliers and David Nwaba agree on a contract, the Cavs are seemingly slated to have either one or two open roster spots and some open minutes, and it appears Naz Mitrou-Long could be their other two-way player to begin next season.

Link: https://kingjamesgospel.com/2019/07...-long-making-case-for-other-two-way-contract/

Reactions: NWICY and Acylum

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
On WED night, Cam Lard got another DNP for the Magic in the SL.

Naz had 19 PTS in 26 MIN, 6-11 FG, 3-3 3pt, 4-6 FT, 2 REB but 5 TO.

Nick had a solid Nick-like stat line for the Heat: 26 MIN, 8 PTS, 2-4 FG, 2-3 3PT, 2-2 FT, 4 REB, 3 AST, 1 BLK and 1 TO.
Naz and Marial seem like the only one's who remember how to play basketball.

Reactions: xr4ticlone

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
Not shocked by Wigginton...
Burton is both shocking and sad...he's a player.
Not shocked that Cam hasn't seen the floor.
Not shocked that Long & Shayok are $$$$

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Yesterday in the SL, Wigginton had his 3rd poor shooting performance in a row, going 0-4 with no points.I thought he'd make a G-League roster but I'm starting to doubt that assumption.

Deonte had a better game for OKC's summer team, with a line of 22 MIN, 4-7 FG, 2-4 3pt, 4-4 FT, 4 REB, 2 AST, 1 STL, 3 TO and 14 PTS. This write-up about Deonte says that his approach this summer is to get better at the little things and "play within himself" in the SL, instead of trying to get a big stat line: https://www.nba.com/thunder/summerleaguefeature-burton-190710

Big dunk, flat footed:

Reactions: NWICY

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Nice story on Burton

https://www.nba.com/thunder/summerleaguefeature-burton-190710

"There’s nothing weak about Burton’s game. He plays with force and every play – a dribble drive, a pass or a rebound – is done hard, for better or worse. As he continues to develop his feel for the game, those bang-bang plays will smoothen out and create opportunities for himself and others on the floor.

For many second-year guys at Summer League, there’s a temptation to prove something with high scoring nights, ball dominance or showy dunks and blocks. Burton has eschewed that pull to make a name for himself. He’s played within his role, taken the opportunities in front of him, gotten his teammates involved and played to the Thunder’s system on both ends of the floor."

Reactions: srjclone and NWICY

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Yesterday in the SL, Wigginton had his 3rd poor shooting performance in a row, going 0-4 with no points.I thought he'd make a G-League roster but I'm starting to doubt that assumption.

Deonte had a better game for OKC's summer team, with a line of 22 MIN, 4-7 FG, 2-4 3pt, 4-4 FT, 4 REB, 2 AST, 1 STL, 3 TO and 14 PTS. This write-up about Deonte says that his approach this summer is to get better at the little things and "play within himself" in the SL, instead of trying to get a big stat line: https://www.nba.com/thunder/summerleaguefeature-burton-190710

Big dunk, flat footed:

If Wigginton wants to be on a G League roster he'll be on one

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron