Cyclones in the pros (hoops) 2020-2021

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
SLC Dunk has a nice tribute to 3 of Utah's 3 "unsung heroes" down the stretch and one of them is Georges, or course. Some good stats in the part on Niang:

Reactions: simply1

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
The Jazz made a big comeback in the 4th quarter but came up short at Golden State, 119-116. Steph Curry was cold from 3 and still scored 36; the two teams managed to take a mere 86 3s in the game :) The Jazz seem to be running on fumes and will be happy to have a few days off before the start of their first playoff series.

Georges started last night and was cold from the floor but made a contribution: 27 MIN, 9 PT, 2-7 FG, 1-4 3PT, 4-4 FT, 2 REB, 1 STL and 1 TO. Georges is 17 for 17 from the free throw line this season.

Matt started the 4th and was very active in his short shift: 4 MIN, 5 PT, 1-1 FG, 3-4 FT, 2 REB and 1 AST.

The Jazz (50-19) have 3 games left in the regular season and have a 1.5-game lead over Phoenix for the #1 seed in the West.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Monte Morris has been upgraded to "questionable" for tonight's game vs. Charlotte so he may be a game-time decision. Talen Horton-Tucker was "questionable" on Sunday night and played 20+ minutes so this MIGHT be the night that Monte gets back on the court. There's not much time left in the season to get some reps and work on game fitness before the playoffs.

Last edited:

charlie_B

Mar 21, 2017
The Jazz made a big comeback in the 4th quarter but came up short at Golden State, 119-116. Steph Curry was cold from 3 and still scored 36; the two teams managed to take a mere 86 3s in the game :) The Jazz seem to be running on fumes and will be happy to have a few days off before the start of their first playoff series.

Georges started last night and was cold from the floor but made a contribution: 27 MIN, 9 PT, 2-7 FG, 1-4 3PT, 4-4 FT, 2 REB, 1 STL and 1 TO. Georges is 17 for 17 from the free throw line this season.

Matt started the 4th and was very active in his short shift: 4 MIN, 5 PT, 1-1 FG, 3-4 3PT, 2 REB and 1 AST.

The Jazz (50-19) have 3 games left in the regular season and have a 1.5-game lead over Phoenix for the #1 seed in the West.
He was 3-4 FT, not 3PT. Just so everyone knows

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

Matt started the 4th and was very active in his short shift: 4 MIN, 5 PT, 1-1 FG, 3-4 3PT, 2 REB and 1 AST.

That's ******* awful, open gym sold as professional sport.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Yeah, the Warriors really kicked off a revolution. Utah is going to average making close to 18 3s per game this year.

I don't hate it - I think it's a better product than the Pistons' Bad Boys style, for example. I like watching good shooters and it opens up driving lanes. Watching our guys closely, you really see that they have to get off those shots really quickly because the close-out is coming. The skill level is through the roof and defenses aren't just sitting back and watching.

What I specifically don't like is how often they kick it out from the lane to the 3-point lane, even on close offensive rebounds. And the fact that it seems like fast breaks end up as 3-point attempts as much as layups / dunks.

SEIACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2017
The college atmosphere is unmatched, but the product on the floor leaves so much to be desired. College basketball is tough to watch when players are constantly bricking threes and turning the ball over. The NBA runs a style of play that got Hilton going crazy over the last decade and a half which is up tempo and full of three pointers. People who rag on NBA defense either don't watch or just don't realize how good these guys are on the offensive end.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
The college atmosphere is unmatched, but the product on the floor leaves so much to be desired. College basketball is tough to watch when players are constantly bricking threes and turning the ball over. The NBA runs a style of play that got Hilton going crazy over the last decade and a half which is up tempo and full of three pointers. People who rag on NBA defense either don't watch or just don't realize how good these guys are on the offensive end.
The shotmaking is astonishing in the NBA, no doubt about that.

Reactions: SEIACyclone

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Yeah, the Warriors really kicked off a revolution. Utah is going to average making close to 18 3s per game this year.

I don't hate it - I think it's a better product than the Pistons' Bad Boys style, for example. I like watching good shooters and it opens up driving lanes. Watching our guys closely, you really see that they have to get off those shots really quickly because the close-out is coming. The skill level is through the roof and defenses aren't just sitting back and watching.

What I specifically don't like is how often they kick it out from the lane to the 3-point lane, even on close offensive rebounds. And the fact that it seems like fast breaks end up as 3-point attempts as much as layups / dunks.

I'll reiterate the Nugget game from earlier in the season.

Down two, ten seconds left, get a turnover and have 4 on 1 (essentially 4 on no one) and the players all run to the line, fumble the ball a little and barely graze the rim with a 3 that probably came after the buzzer.

IT WAS WIDE OPEN TO GO TO THE RIM AND TIE THE GAME.

• Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Here's Georges' full highlights in the Warriors' game.

Thanks for the Niang clips - I was thinking "He's really comfortable handling the ball" and then he went behind the back, lost it and got a turnover :) But what is clear to me since he's starting is that he's more willing to attack the rim when he thinks he can beat the defender so he's showing more of his offensive versatility even though a couple of those shots didn't go in. And he's taking it up the court himself on defensive rebounds.

I don't claim to know the economics of it but Georges is going to be upping his annual income next season, I predict.

Reactions: NWICY

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
This is short but here are Matt Thomas' plays from last night (except getting fouled taking a 3 and one of his free throws). The Warriors' announcers make a nice comment about the Ice Man:

Matt isn't passive in there. I think that deep roster of guards in Toronto taught him he had to go into a game and try to make an impression.

Lyon309Cy

Sep 5, 2010
I was listening to the Jazz game last night. The announcers were very complimentary of Matt Thomas' energy. Gave him credit for turning around the game for the Jazz. They were down 18 on their way to mailing it in when he sparked a run, with energy and ball movement rather than statistical contribution. They even named him the bench player of the game.
Nice to see he's gaining a little traction even if the shots aren't falling yet.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron