Cyclones in the pros (hoops) 2020-2021

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
My current power rankings for healthy Cyclones in the NBA:

1. Georges Niang
2. Matt Thomas

:)

Hopefully Monte and THT will be back on the court next week.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Georges played an important part in what David Locke (the creator of Locked On Podcast Network and Utah Jazz radio PxP announcer) called "one of the best games of the year", scored all 13 pts in the second half and helped the Jazz one step closer to secure the overall #1 seed of the league. Here's his highlights.

12-1
Interestingly, the Jazz are nearly unbeatable in games where Niang makes three or more from downtown, with 12 wins in those 13 games. (Two such games occurred this last week, including the loss.) That’s especially surprising since games where Niang plays a bigger role as a possession user are by definition almost always games where Utah is missing a key player. He’s really helped them keep the rotation afloat with his shot-making and improved defense.

To dig deeper from this stat, in 5 of the 7 games Georges started, he has made 3 or more 3-pointers, scored in double figures and Jazz won all the games.

Last edited:
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Georges played an important part in what David Locke (the creator of Locked On Podcast Network and Utah Jazz radio PxP announcer) called "one of the best games of the year", scored all 13 pts in the second half and helped the Jazz one step closer to secure the overall #1 seed of the league. Here's his highlights.

To dig deep from this stat, in 5 of the 7 games Georges started, he has made 3 or more 3-pointers, scored in double figures and Jazz won all the games.

Awesome to see those highlights - Georges produced in crunch time. So glad to see him attacking the rim and shooting floaters. Now all we need is that baby hook of his. Great game -- I wish Monte had been out there.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Georges Niang had a super-efficient night by tying his career-high with a team-high 24 pts (also a team-high +19). I wish he could've stayed longer on the floor to break his single-game scoring record.

Utah is the first team to reach the 50th win in this season.

When Goerges scored double-figure in a game, the Jazz is 18-1.

When Goerges made 3 or more 3-pointers in a game, the Jazz is 16-1.

BTW, Matt saw 9-min of playtime and scored 5 pts.

tenor.gif

Georges' Highlights

Last edited:

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Man Georges and Matt must be loving it. It's really neat to see all the Cyclones doing so well and having a great time making the pinnacle of BB by being in the NBA. It really is a golden age of Cyclone pro BB.

I missed what happened did Georges deserve his T?

Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Man Georges and Matt must be loving it. It's really neat to see all the Cyclones doing so well and having a great time making the pinnacle of BB by being in the NBA. It really is a golden age of Cyclone pro BB.

I missed what happened did Georges deserve his T?
SLC Trib coverage (Andy Larsen) on Georges' T:

“I’m a a good individual. I usually hold my emotions in, and I just happened to lose my cool. That’s not who I am or I aspire to be,” Niang began. “Something happened. I thought he had brushed me in the face on purpose. So I told him that he was too late: he wasn’t going to get to my shot anyway. And (referee) Marc Davis decided that I was worthy of a technical.”

You know what? I don’t think Marc Davis should make that taunt a technical foul. Niang gets hit in the face, still makes the shot, and then talks back? That’s fun! That’s the kind of stuff that NBA fans want to see!

Instead, the league has gotten so concerned about players maybe working their way up to fighting one another that they’ll give out a technical even when they’re just being competitive, 40 feet away from one another. What Niang did isn’t actually a problem, it’s just that the league is worried about it becoming one.

But by giving a technical out every time a player taunts another, we’re making the product more and more sterile.

Link: https://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2021/05/08/triple-team-against-bad/

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Georges Niang had a super-efficient night by tying his career-high with a team-high 24 pts (also a team-high +19). I wish he could've stayed longer on the floor to break his single-game scoring record.

Utah is the first team to reach the 50th win in this season.

When Goerges scored double-figure in a game, the Jazz is 18-1.

When Goerges made 3 or more 3-pointers in a game, the Jazz is 16-1.

BTW, Matt saw 9-min of playtime and scored 5 pts.

tenor.gif

Georges' Highlights

Thanks for posting those highlights - I didn't get to see the game. He had the first 5 points for Utah and his first bucket was a floater. He seems to be getting more and more comfortable attacking the basket.

It's kind of funny that the name of the Youtube channel that put up his highlights is called "technical foul" in Spanish :)

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Speaking of Matt, I don't know if it's been mentioned before. There are two "Matt Thomas" in the world of NBA. One of course is our beloved Cyclone legend, the other is the Houston Rockets radio PxP announcer (road games), the PA announcer of Toyota Center (Houston's home arena), and a well-known Houston's local sports talk show host. The two had a close encounter on Dec. 5, 2019 when Matt the player was still with the Toronto Raptors playing the Rockets in Houston (he was inactive at the time). Here's the photo proof.

Last edited:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
And then there were THREE. THT was listed as "questionable" for last night's Lakers-Suns game and managed to have the 2nd-most minutes off the bench for the very short-handed Lakers.

Not a huge statistical night for Talen but LA got a big win over Phoenix, missing LeBron, Kuzma and Schroder. His line: 21 MIN, 7 PT, 3-7 FG, 1-2 3PT, 2 REB, 3 AST 1 STL and 2 TO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cytasticlone

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Georges - and possibly Matt - will be on NBA TV tonight ...

1620668103256.png

... and this bit of info means that Georges will likely start his 9th straight game and Matt has a shot at some rotation minutes:

This is a good game to watch if you like the long ball since they're 1st and 5th in the NBA in 3-pointers made per game. And UTAH is the one in first, not Steph and Co. Utah could set the NBA record for most 3-pointers made per game in NBA history.

Reactions: NWICY

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Utah Jazz' Twitter account giving Georges lots of love yesterday. If you want to see his SIX made 3-pointers from Saturday night: (EDIT: Sorry - the highlight package below is the same one that was posted from a Youtube link before - has all of G's positive offensive plays from Sunday):

Starting lineup intro shot :)

Last edited: