Cyclones in the pros (hoops) 2020-2021

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Phew, Georges Niang - who is possibly my all-time favorite Cyclone in any sport - is NOT going to go scoreless for the season. I wish I could say he hit some 3's today in Utah's big win over the Spurs but this was his first bucket of the season:

The MInivan's line tonight: 13 MIN, 2 PT, 1-3 FG, 0-2 3PT, 6 REB (not bad) and +14. He is currently 0-7 from 3PT this season (after going 5-9 in the the pre-season). Georges is going to find his rhythm though; he shot 40% from 3 last year.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Monte Morris and the Nuggets got an easy win over the T'wolves tonight and Big Game was his usual productive self: 29 MIN (most off the bench), 11 PT, 3-7 FG, 1-3 3PT, 4-5 FT, 3 REB, 6 AST and, oh yeah, 0 TO.

The Lakers got a 108-94 win over Memphis tonight and Talen Horton-Tucker got a lot of minutes. His line: 24 MIN, 7 PT, 3-9 FG, 1-4 3PT, 6 REB, 2 AST, 1 TO and +11.

Good dish here for the easy lay-up:

Abdel Nader still is not dressing for the Suns who played late on Sunday.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I've seen Twitter chatter that Marvin Bagley III isn't happy in Sacramento as his dad tweeted out "Trade Him" last week. That may be a way for Haliburton to sneak into the starting line-up.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I've seen Twitter chatter that Marvin Bagley III isn't happy in Sacramento as his dad tweeted out "Trade Him" last week. That may be a way for Haliburton to sneak into the starting line-up.

They aren't the Lakers but so far it looks like they may no longer be a cellar team either.

You'd think most on the team would be excited about this season.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
I've followed the NBA a long time, and I don't think I've ever seen a role player like Matt Thomas just get absolutely buried by his head coach and basically booted off the roster the last few games.

Matt is tough enough to take it but man.......

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I've followed the NBA a long time, and I don't think I've ever seen a role player like Matt Thomas just get absolutely buried by his head coach and basically booted off the roster the last few games.

Matt is tough enough to take it but man.......
Yeah, it's been a weird one for Matt of late with the Raps. My working theory is that they've struggled so much that Nurse is just experimenting with different players and combinations to find some lineups that work. So I'm hoping he circles back to Matt. He only really had 2 rotation games and clearly what they've done since then isn't much better. I'm hoping he didn't simply look at Matt's defense in those 2 games and conclude that he can't be a rotation guy.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Quick updates on recent performances. Or non-performances. On Monday night, Sacramento played - and lost, big - without Tyrese who's going to miss some games due to injury.

Matt Thomas did not play again for Toronto in their loss.

The Jazz got blown out right from the start vs. the Nets (at one point I looked and it was 20-4). Georges played 2 minutes in the first half and didn't record a stat. His final line with some mop-up time: 7 MIN, 0 PT, 0-0 FG, 1 REB, 1 TO and a team-best -2. Georges is sitting on 2 pts in 7 games so far.

As noted, Talen Horton-Tucker got solid rotation minutes in a close Lakers win over Memphis. It's not surprising that his usage rate is much lower with LBJ and AD in the lineup; they just don't need him to create as much. His line: 22 MIN, 4 PT, 2-5 FG, 0-1 3PT, 2 REB, 2 AST, 1 STL, 1 BLK and 0 TO. THT has played in all 7 of the Lakers' games and is averaging 6.4 ppg.

Monte Morris got his usual rotation minutes though Denver can't be too enthused about a narrow win over a Townes-less Minnesota squad. His line for this game was modest but you can see just from numbers that he always finds ways to contribute: 25 MIN, 4 PT, 1-3 FG, 1-3 3PT, 1-4 FT (yikes), 1 REB, 2 AST, 3 STL, 0 TO and +4. For the season, he's averaging 10.9 ppg and has 23 assists to go with 3 turnovers.

The Jazz, Sacramento, Toronto and Phoenix are all in action tonight. The over / under is 2 points scored by Cyclones :)

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Two guys that we are not surprised to see on the NBA leaders of assist-to-turnover ratio (there are still guys in double-digits with this small sample size; they'll come back to Earth and these 2 guys will be in the Top 10):

1609940967718.png

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
From NBA.com:

01/05/2021, 2:49 PM

Abdel Nader: Available Wednesday

Nader (concussion) is available for Wednesday's game against the Raptors, Duane Rankin of The Arizona Republic reports.

My comment: Being available isn't, of course a guarantee of being dressed for the Suns and certainly not the same as getting some playing time.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I have the Knicks games on my cable system and I just got to see Georges Niang hit his first 3-pointer / non-layup of the season in real time! He shot it with good rhythm. He's looked lively on offense - also has a nice assist and a drive and a would-be assist - possibly aided by the fact that Snyder has left him in the game more than 2 minutes (and the Jazz are a big run - Georges is currently +13 in about 6 minutes).

He's had some trouble staying with Knox on defense, however.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron