NBA: Cyclones in the pros 2021-23 (hoops)

Zenthar

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 4, 2010
Fizer career high is 30 and Tinsley's was 37. Kato had 27 once which surprised me since he wasn't a big scorer.

Those are the only regular starters I can think of between Hornacek and the current era of players.

Mike Taylor had 35 in a game.

Reactions: Cyientist

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Fizer career high is 30 and Tinsley's was 37. Kato had 27 once which surprised me since he wasn't a big scorer.

Those are the only regular starters I can think of between Hornacek and the current era of players.
Sam Mack (if we want to claim him) once scored 38. Going back even further, Zaid Abdul-Aziz once scored 37.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Nice article about Matt's 3-point prowess from the corners. And
it notes that he's the Bulls' best 3-point shooter since early December. It talks about him "leading the NBA" in 3pt % his 1st year in the league but I don't think he had enough attempts for it to be official.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Some quick capsules of Cyclones in the NBA, starting with Tuesday:

Matt got rotation minutes - 12 of them - in a win over Orlando. He hit his only shot - a 3 - for 3 total points.

Monte is starting and putting up consistent numbers but the T'wolves led them from start to finish and starters got some minutes off in the 4th. Monte had 13 PT on 5-7 shooting with 3 AST and 1 TO.

On Wednesday night, Monte had another solid night but the Nuggets dropped another one - a 4-pt loss to Utah:

Georges is getting solid numbers and even closes out some games for Philly. In this one, he missed a short shot with about 1:10 left that would've tied the game up. Philly eventually lost.

Cold shooting by Hali in this one but he's a lot more assertive without ball-dominant Fox in the lineup.

Wiggy was in the Bucks'box scorebut with a DNP last night. He's at least making some bank this year.

Last edited:

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I think there was a thread on it but I didn't read it. Can someone summarize where the whole potentially being traded/contract stuff is with Haliburton?

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
I think there was a thread on it but I didn't read it. Can someone summarize where the whole potentially being traded/contract stuff is with Haliburton?

There was some smoke about Halliburton moving to Philly in package for Ben Simmons, but it sounds like that fell apart and the Kings have stated they want to build around Tyrese for the future (at least that’s what they’re saying publicly).

Sounds like the more likely Cyclone trade bait could be THT, since LA thought of him as their most appealing trade asset to bring in a seasoned vet to help them win in the playoffs. But it remains to be seen whether THT will be valued by other teams, as his stats this year don’t really stand out.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Matt, Tyrese and Talen are NOT losers. But all three of their teams did, in fact, lose their games last night.

Matt got 11 rotation minutes against his old team in Toronto. I'm sure he would've loved to go off on them but, alas, he did not take 1 shot. They probably know to crowd him. He grabbed 3 boards and got a block.

The Kings continue to reel - not that beating Golden State is easy - and Hali had his 2nd straight game of sub-par shooting after he torched the Philadelphia Georges for 38 and then scored 21. He was 3-11 from the field last night for 10 and had 6 assists.

The Lakers dropped a 1-point loss to the Clippers and fell to 25-28. They're in 9th place in the West. THT actually had solid production during his minutes; he scored 6 right away and ended up with 9 in 21 MIN on 4-7 / 1-2 shooting.

I saw a comment that the Lakers wasted money on THT that should've been used for Caruso. It's a valid point but I didn't realize just had impactful the Carushow's defense was until I saw in with Chicago. The Lakers probably wanted to bet on one young asset to build around post-LeBron but they don't look likely to win with the current roster.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Any gurus out there now how this would impact Niang? He is really their only backup 4 and has another year guaranteed so I don’t think he’d be part of this package. Unless he went to a 3rd team, but generally those teams want expiring contracts right?

• Dislike
Reactions: VeloClone

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Any gurus out there now how this would impact Niang? He is really their only backup 4 and has another year guaranteed so I don’t think he’d be part of this package. Unless he went to a 3rd team, but generally those teams want expiring contracts right?

Yeesh. I hope they can't come to terms on this.

I think the only way that they trade him is if they need to move some guys to make salaries work. But I imagine it would impact the rotation in ways that I can't conceive at this point, without knowing who else might be involved. I would think Korkmaz and Danny Greene would see their minutes decreased.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
3 solid performances for ex-ISU program building blocks on Friday night.

The Bulls beat Pacers and were without Ball, Caruso and White so Matt Thomas got a season-high 27 minutes and hit 10 points on 3-9 shooting. NBC Chicago:

8. Matt Thomas did make two 3s (though they came on eight attempts) on his way to 10 sparkplug points off the bench. Forgive him for being hunted by LeVert on a few possessions at the start of the fourth. https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/spo...rs-behind-vucevic-dosunmu-connection/2749835/

Monte had a solid night but the Nuggets lost another one, this time to New Orleans. His full line: 31 MIN, 19 PT, 6-12 FG, 5-8 3PT, 2-2 FT, 4 AST, 1 BLK and 0 TO.

Looking like Haliburton the other night:

The 76ers dropped a game at Dallas though Georges got back to hot shooting: 13 PT in 17 MIN on 5-6 / 3-4 shooting.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby

Is Simmons vacinated? o_O ;)

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Yeesh. I hope they can't come to terms on this.

I think the only way that they trade him is if they need to move some guys to make salaries work. But I imagine it would impact the rotation in ways that I can't conceive at this point, without knowing who else might be involved. I would think Korkmaz and Danny Greene would see their minutes decreased.
I would think the 76ers would include another guard in this package, either Korkmaz or curry. As I think about it, Niang may be asked to score more from them bench.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Georges just hit a 3 over Matt's outstretched hand in 1st quarter of the Bulls - 76ers game. Fun to watch.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I watched the 76ers defeat the short-handed Bulls on Sunday. There were times when Matt and Georges were guarding each other on a wing and it was great viewing as a Cyclone fan. With the Bulls missing White, Ball and Caruso, Matt got his highest minutes total of the season (and possibly of his career), at 34 MIN. As a guy that roots for him, he has to view the last couple games as wasted chances. The NBA knows he can shoot - he came into the game having raised his 3pt% to 43% - but he followed up a 3-9 shooting night with a 2-10 / 1-7 night in a home loss vs. the 76ers.

He had good looks; these were not end-of-the-shot clock hurried attempts. He just missed, over and over. Yes, it was one game - two if you count the previous one - but some guys never get a game with 34 minutes and 10 good looks. He ended with 5 PT and 6 REB and he didn't embarass himself on D but I'm sure he expects better results. Down the stretch, the Bulls had cut it to 4 and 6 points at times and a couple made 3s would've been huge for the Bulls. Hopefully, he gets a few more games like this in which they need extended minutes and this one ends up being an outlier.

When the Sixers have all their guys, Georges doesn't see the ball as much but he's earned their trust and ended up with decent numbers. He's become a smart NBA player and it showed in his finding some open guys for assists yesterday. His final numbers were 28 MIN, 9 PT, 3-6 FG, 2-4 3PT, 3 REB, 4 AST and, um 1 flagrant foul.

Help Support Us

Become a patron