Cyclone Racquetball

kewl_kasey

Jan 21, 2008
I just wanted to let you all know that the ISU Racquetball Club is getting back from the USAR National Intercollegiate Racquetball tournament tonight. The Cyclones finished 11th in the country in both the Men's and Combined (Men's and Women's) standings out of about 50 schools.

Last year we finished 10th among Div 1 Schools (11th overall), and did very similarly this year.

I'd like to thank the team for all their hard work.
(Mens:
#1. Matt Guetzko, OSCM
#2. Michael Dunlay, Mech. Eng.
#3 Casey Wright, MIS
#4 Rick Stammer, Economics
#5 Justin Ott, History
#6 Eric Ely, Pre-Bus
Womens:
#1 Kristi Onken, Dietary Nutrition
#2 Courtney Bormann, Finance)

I'd also like to thank our great coach, Russ Powers. He gave us a lot of great advice over the course of the week and greatly contributed to the team's success.

We'd also like to GSB for their support of the SCC (Sports Club Council) who helped us pay for this event and proudly represent ISU at this national collegiate tournament.

We have several graduating seniors this year, but we also have a lot of great talent coming back.

Here's looking forward to next year!

Last edited:

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
Thanks for the info. I LOVED to play racquetball in the 70's and 80's back in Beyer and then just kind of got away from the game due to other interests. Do you have a website that has more info about the team?? And congratulations on your showing!!

kewl_kasey

Jan 21, 2008
Here is our club website. It needs a bit of updating content wise but other than that it is all good.

Last edited:

kewl_kasey

Jan 21, 2008
Here is the e-mail our coach sent out to the club today. Thought you might want to read if you've followed the thread.

Hi team,

I just wanted to congratulate everyone involved on a job well done this year at intercollegiates. Despite our 11th place overall finish & 11th place men's team finish we scored more overall team points & more men's team points this year than we have in any of the 4 years that we've been sending a team...so everyone take a bow. We also had our first All-American doubles team of Rick Stammer & Eric Ely at #3 doubles. The final team standings can be found here- http://www.usra.org/Portals/18/docs/collegiate/08collegescores.pdf
Here's a quick recap for those that weren't able to make it-

Matt Guetzko won 2 matches in #1 Gold and scored most of our singles points before losing a heartbreaker tiebreaker to ASU 11-9. Matt played some of the best ball I've seen him play & was a true champion last weekend.

Mike Dunlay at #2 lost his first match & dropped to Red where he won a tough match over Bryant University before losing a tough match to Missouri State.

Casey Wright at #3 won his first Gold match and lost his second to drop to the Blue division where he took a shot to the head and probably got a concussion before ending up 4th in the Blue's.

Rick Stammer at #4 had a heck of a tournament in singles and doubles. Rick lost his opening match to Florida & dropped to the Red division where he figured out that losing sucks so he just didn't lose for the rest of the tourney. As mentioned above Rick & Eric also finished 4th in the #3 Gold doubles divisions and earned All-American honors.

Justin Ott played in the #5 spot and made it to the quarterfinals in the Gold division before running into a shooter from Oregon State that ended his tournament.

Eric Ely surprised in his first competitive tourney & achieved All-American status. He also won the #6 White division in singles after he worked out some of the butterflies in back-to-back losses to open the tourney.

Kristi Onken played in the tough #1 women's division and dropped her opening match before finishing in 4th place in the Red division.

Courtney Bormann came up huge in the #2 women's spot. After dropping her first 2 matches she settled down to the business of dominating the White division.

I want to take this opportunity to point out that we'll be losing at least 2 players from our Men's team and possibly our whole Women's team so those of you that would like the opportunity to be on the team next year will definitely have that chance. The site for next year's National Intercollegiate Championships will be decided within the next 2 months so that should give us plenty of time to start planning and working on our individual skills. Until then, congratulations again & I hope to see all of you on the courts soon.

Coach Russ