Cyclone Fanatic is doing a great job on the coaching situation

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
He’s from Ames and went to ISU and really enjoyed his time there both playing and coaching? I mean I know that doesn’t fit your narrative of the Nefarious Fred Hoiberg with evil Moustache swimming in his NBA bux plotting the demise of ISU basketball but...

Then UNLV fires TJ. Dude, we're getting the band back together! lol

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
He’s from Ames and went to ISU and really enjoyed his time there both playing and coaching? I mean I know that doesn’t fit your narrative of the Nefarious Fred Hoiberg with evil Moustache swimming in his NBA bux plotting the demise of ISU basketball but...

He enjoyed himself so much he left? ;). Ask grandma if Fred is going to sign a huge NBA buyout?

ignoring my own personal dislike of him, I’ve yet to see anyone say how that would work other than the fact that he loves Iowa state and coaching here is his second true dream in life. Namely, no one has addressed his nebraska buyout, the fact that no recruit will believe he’ll stay without an nba buyout, the assistant that he’s attached to that screwed Jamie over, the fact that people in the know around here (I.e. Williams and Blum) posted how much he hated recruiting? etc.

• Dumb
Reactions: jcisuclones

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Just spit balling here, but could Fred's contract have a cheaper buyout when leaving for the NBA or certain other college jobs like ISU?

It is cheaper for non NCAA division 1 schools. So he could be an AD/executive or go coach Simpson for a year and then elsewhere. The buyout is about 25%.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I have no idea how he'd come back now, but I do know that he wanted the Iowa State job back and that he essentially settled for Nebraska.. Had Steve not won the Big 12 Tournament in 2019, he would've taken the Alabama job and Fred would've come back. That's at least what I was told by a source close to the situation.

I’ve been told many things by sources. Sources have agendas.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Just spit balling here, but could Fred's contract have a cheaper buyout when leaving for the NBA or certain other college jobs like ISU?
It's lower for the NBA, but highly unlikely they have a clause for an individual school, though.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
He enjoyed himself so much he left? ;). Ask grandma if Fred is going to sign a huge NBA buyout?

ignoring my own personal dislike of him, I’ve yet to see anyone say how that would work other than the fact that he loves Iowa state and coaching here is his second true dream in life. Namely, no one has addressed his nebraska buyout, the fact that no recruit will believe he’ll stay without an nba buyout, the assistant that he’s attached to that screwed Jamie over, the fact that people in the know around here (I.e. Williams and Blum) posted how much he hated recruiting? etc.

Things change. I know I’m not in the same place in my life as I was when Fred was here the first time.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I have a hard time believing that it’ll be announced this week. Seems pretty ****** for the players who still have 3 games this week. It doesn’t matter because TJ still has games and won’t be announced until after the regular season.

I’m sure that Jamie and Steve have reached their agreement but I doubt they make it official until next Thursday.

Why would it be ******? They know their record. Dragging it out and pretending might be nastier for them.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I’m thinking about the players. Despite all of this, they’ve played hard. I think it would be ******.

also no one has told me why this week would be better then next Thursday.

Why is it ****** for the players to announce Prohm will finish out the season and will be done after?

• Agree
Reactions: jcisuclones

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Why is it ****** for the players to announce Prohm will finish out the season and will be done after?

I don't think it's necessarily ******, I just don't think it's necessary. Nothing is lost by just waiting until the season is over. If other teams start firing guys and there's a chance we fall behind in the market for a new coach, then expedite it. But until then you don't really need to do anything at the moment. It just kind of is what it is.

And as others have mentioned, I'd imagine while it's not been made public JP has decided what he wants to do and has likely communicated it to those who need to know.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
It's like some people have never stopped to think about how a basic public relations situation unfolds.

You "might" get an announcement before the Big XII tournament but only if Prohm wants it. Believe me, people are aware this job is open whether it has been publicly announced or not.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone