Cy Hawk Rivalry

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
And that will be the excuse with a loss, we were rusty because we had a week off and it wasn't our fault.

Honestly I wish we didn't have a bye that week. No excuses though unless we have another fluke lightning storm

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Our conference finishes have literally never mattered in the modern era. What does matter is winning the most games possible.

This is true, in regards of cfp committee, until they expand the playoffs and include auto-bids for the P5. Expanding the playoffs would benefit the quality of college football’s product, because then teams will not be scared to include equal competition in ooc scheduling. Conference finish would be the main goal again.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
This is true, in regards of cfp committee, until they expand the playoffs and include auto-bids for the P5. Expanding the playoffs would benefit the quality of college football’s product, because then teams will not be scared to include equal competition in ooc scheduling. Conference finish would be the main goal again.

Since the BCS blew up strength of schedule has nothing to do with it anymore. I don't care if the playoffs is 4 teams or 8 teams, it will always be a money grab that favors the blue bloods.

• Agree
Reactions: Cardinal and Gold

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Tell you what - compare the demand for tickets for the Iowa game at JTS compared to Texas or OU. It's not even close. Even our own ticket office charges the most $$ for a ticket to the Iowa game.
Our game against Iowa is the most important game for our fan base. Please.

Hasn't the UNI game broken attendance records in years' past? Where does that game sit?

Iowa fans contribute to it as well. Cue up that 2005 game when they were leaving by the thousands as it became apparent that another National Championship year was lost.

• Winner
Reactions: Cat Stevens

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I would not argue with the idea that this game is the biggest for the fans. I don’t think it’s the biggest for the teams though.

In some ways I wish it were part of Rivalry week but I also kind of like how it's early in the season, generally good weather for tailgating and there's still the 'freshness' of the new football season that adds to it.

Mac basically relied on beating Iowa to save his job iirc but as ISU's been decent the past two seasons, games like TCU in 2017 and last year's game in Austin have been big deals for what it means for the season. Sending Snyder out like that last year as well was perfect.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Since the BCS blew up strength of schedule has nothing to do with it anymore. I don't care if the playoffs is 4 teams or 8 teams, it will always be a money grab that favors the blue bloods.

True, any at-large bid that has human input will always favor the traditional football schools. Which is why I added that expansion with auto-bids is the only way to make ooc sos so meaningless that the top schools may want to schedule competitively ooc, to gain competitive experience. For example, us losing to Iowa or Iowa losing to us doesn’t necessarily diminish playoff hopes if there are auto-bids for conference champs. Same would go for the blue bloods. They may schedule a more competitive ooc schedule, because losing doesn’t totally erase playoff hopes. And it’s all about the playoffs anymore, unfortunately. So the first few weeks of the season may actually involve some really good games. But again, only with auto-bids in an expanded playoff setting.

Last edited:

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Hasn't the UNI game broken attendance records in years' past? Where does that game sit?

Iowa fans contribute to it as well. Cue up that 2005 game when they were leaving by the thousands as it became apparent that another National Championship year was lost.

2005 might've been the peak of Iowa arrogance. Granted, they were coming off a very nice run from 2002-2004, but their fans were ready for a national title run that year. Maybe the most satisfying win over Iowa in my lifetime.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
2005 might've been the peak of Iowa arrogance. Granted, they were coming off a very nice run from 2002-2004, but their fans were ready for a national title run that year. Maybe the most satisfying win over Iowa in my lifetime.

Two of my three roommates were Iowa fans so watching that game with them was pretty great.

Reactions: SolarGarlic

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

This is 100% on the money! I moved back to Iowa in the winter of 05 and Iowa fans were absolutely insufferable. Watching the Iowa fans funnel out of Jack Trice at the end of the 3rd quarter was a thing of beauty because that was an absolute *** kicking.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

The SEC has managed to be the best conference without actually having to play the toughest schedules.

Credit the Big 10 that they've gone to 9 games.

SEC is obviously legit in terms of overall football quality, but 8 games, super uneven divisional game balance and scheduling a cream puff late in the year has basically hacked college football scheduling while the masses just brainlessly assume they are playing the toughest 12 or 13 games.

Alabama almost lost to an FCS team the night we upset #2 OK State. Imagine if Bama had to play an SEC team on the road that night and OK State got to mail in a game against a cream puff at home. What the SEC has been doing works.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The SEC has managed to be the best conference without actually having to play the toughest schedules.

Credit the Big 10 that they've gone to 9 games.

SEC is obviously legit in terms of overall football quality, but 8 games, super uneven divisional game balance and scheduling a cream puff late in the year has basically hacked college football scheduling while the masses just brainlessly assume they are playing the toughest 12 or 13 games.

Alabama almost lost to an FCS team the night we upset #2 OK State. Imagine if Bama had to play an SEC team on the road that night and OK State got to mail in a game against a cream puff at home. What the SEC has been doing works.

It's pathetic that the SEC gets a free pass on not playing a 9 game conference slate. There is not question that the SEC has some elite teams every single year but the narrative regarding their overall conference strength is pure crap.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
It's pathetic that the SEC gets a free pass on not playing a 9 game conference slate. There is not question that the SEC has some elite teams every single year but the narrative regarding their overall conference strength is pure crap.
Basically any SEC team that is 6-6 does not deserve a bowl bid in my book. That is just winning 2 conference games most of the time. The SEC may have an impressive bowl record overall (or they may not I honestly do not know), but it would be interesting to see the bowl record for SEC teams that were 6-6 going into their bowl. I would wager their are some ugly losses to G5 or lower P5 teams with similar records. Same goes for ACC.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
This is 100% on the money! I moved back to Iowa in the winter of 05 and Iowa fans were absolutely insufferable. Watching the Iowa fans funnel out of Jack Trice at the end of the 3rd quarter was a thing of beauty because that was an absolute *** kicking.

Only the second time in my life that ISU absolutely pounded Iowa. Seemed that outcome came out of nowhere. ISU owned Iowa that day.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Best conference, not always the best schedules, sometimes surprisingly manageable schedules for many of its teams.

Help Support Us

Become a patron