Cy Hawk Rivalry

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Campbell has done quite well recruiting in Iowa despite going 0-fer against TOE. Imagine what our instate recruiting would be like if we beat Iowa 3-4 times in a row.

We could cherry pick and leave the rest for the Squawks. Much like Iowa has done to us for 20 years.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Campbell has done quite well recruiting in Iowa despite going 0-fer against TOE. Imagine what our instate recruiting would be like if we beat Iowa 3-4 times in a row.

We could cherry pick and leave the rest for the Squawks. Much like Iowa has done to us for 20 years.

As long as Ferentz is there and they are putting guys in the NFL, they will do well recruiting instate.

• Agree
Reactions: Cat Stevens

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
It's our biggest game - against the team we least want to lose to. Let's not try to minimize it - in order to prepare for a possible loss.

1998 called, they want their fan back.

Biggest rivalry? Duh. Biggest game? No. Maybe it would be if we were in the Big 10 too, but we have bigger fish to fry nowadays.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Half right, we do not want to lose to Iowa, but its not anywhere near our biggest game of the year. First its a nonconference game, so losing it does not bother us conference wise. Its only important for bragging rights within the state, and the ability to talk crap to friends of the other fan base. OU and Texas are bigger games, and I would take a win over either of them and a loss to Iowa any day.
Tell you what - compare the demand for tickets for the Iowa game at JTS compared to Texas or OU. It's not even close. Even our own ticket office charges the most $$ for a ticket to the Iowa game.
Our game against Iowa is the most important game for our fan base. Please.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I know its popular for each fan base to try and pretend who cares the least about this game, but I hope it continues for many years. Realignment killed a lot of rivalries (West Virginia-Pitt, Texas-Texas A&M, Nebraska-Oklahoma), and while the Iowa State-Iowa game isn't on the level as those games were on a national scale, its still a big game. Rivalries make college sports fun.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Tell you what - compare the demand for tickets for the Iowa game at JTS compared to Texas or OU. It's not even close. Even our own ticket office charges the most $$ for a ticket to the Iowa game.

I'm sure the number of Iowa fans who attend compared to OU or UT has nothing to do with it.

theiacowtipper

Sep 6, 2010

I would not argue with the idea that this game is the biggest for the fans. I don’t think it’s the biggest for the teams though.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Attendance is not solely driven by Isu. This is very much Econ 101.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

theiacowtipper

Sep 6, 2010
Just my opinion. Your football coach said it's the biggest game for you guys, ours didn't

I see. I thought you were much more declarative than just giving your opinion. As far as the biggest game for Iowa, whatever, you do you.