Cy-Hawk locker room thief was former Iowa student with no connection to ISU

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Glad someone bumped this, there won't ever be a better example of Iowa fans and official university staff blowing their load in jealous rage against ISU and looking like complete idiots in the process.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
...particularly in light of a couple of threads currently active in the rivals section that are populated by some of the more "Hawkeye Homer" type of fans.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Was it really necessary for the Rag to add "while Mark Weisman was rushing for 145 yards and helping the Hawkeyes to a 27-21 victory last Sept. 14." ?

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
I mentioned to my spouse this morning how the media sure did shut up about the whole locker room theft once it was revealed that the thief was a former EIU student. I made the comment that if it had been an ISU student the media would still be beating that drum nonstop. Then this article...I sure don't want to be on the same wave length as the rag. :eek:

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Was it really necessary for the Rag to add "while Mark Weisman was rushing for 145 yards and helping the Hawkeyes to a 27-21 victory last Sept. 14." ?

Yeah, what he should have wrote was "while a football game was being played, the outcome of which shall never be mentioned again so as to avoid upsetting overly sensitive Cyclone fans".

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I thought this part was funny

"[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Although some people initially jumped to the conclusion that the fugitive had ties with Iowa State, they were proven wrong when University of Iowa registration officials confirmed that Beary was a Hawkeye student between the fall of 2008 and spring of 2011. It later was learned that he briefly was a member of the University of Iowa Student Government."[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Like the local sports media? :twitcy:[/FONT]

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Yeah, what he should have wrote was "while a football game was being played, the outcome of which shall never be mentioned again so as to avoid upsetting overly sensitive Cyclone fans".

The next iteration...first it was people overreacting to things said about the cyclones...now it's people overreacting about other people's sensitivity.

All he asked was whether it was necessary...he didn't freak out about it. And honestly, I don't think it was the score, I think it was the ordinary rushing totals in an article about the locker room breakin. Now, if it had been a noteworthy amount, like 300 yards or something, I could see, but to put in 145 yards in that article's context of an update on the guy who broke into the locker room is about as relevant as noting that the referee's shoe was untied in an article about that soccer player biting the other guy.

Is it angering me? No, but I read it myself and thought it seemed awkward.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
The next iteration...first it was people overreacting to things said about the cyclones...now it's people overreacting about other people's sensitivity.

All he asked was whether it was necessary...he didn't freak out about it. And honestly, I don't think it was the score, I think it was the ordinary rushing totals in an article about the locker room breakin. Now, if it had been a noteworthy amount, like 300 yards or something, I could see, but to put in 145 yards in that article's context of an update on the guy who broke into the locker room is about as relevant as noting that the referee's shoe was untied in an article about that soccer player biting the other guy.

Talk about an overreaction...

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

how about this: "Former University of Iowa student and student councel member carries out theft of locker room as coach Kirk Ferentz chewed on his gum. Iowa athletic department warns entire Big Ten that its own students may burglarize locker rooms as Ferentz and other coaches chew gum."

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

It could have easily been left off. Could have also said that JR threw for x numbers of yards, as the Cyclones outgained Iowa in a losing effort 27-21. Neither statement was needed or adds anything to the article. Simple pandering by the writer.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
The stuff we worry about is ********

Meh - I don't think any of us are "worried". As one poster put it, it was simple pandering by the author. Frankly, I think you & roundball are overreacting to the posts more than the other posters are to the article.

Hack writing by a local that writes his stories about state schools and includes pointless phrases/paragraphs about their rivals to create friction and garner page hits. He does it to all of us (UI, ISU, UNI). I just shake my head at some of what passes for sports journalism nowadays.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Ignoring RP is usually the best way to go. Sounds like when we got all kinds of stuff going on with NBA draft, more football signings, Morris back from overseas, CCL play, Niang big man academy, etc., best he can do is say that there is no news on this old story and oh yea, we gave up a bunch of running yards. Par for the course from him.:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron