Curious how you guys rank your units ...

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
I've seen this discussion elsewhere, and it's sort of interesting to read the rankings and comments. Rank QB, RB, O'line, WR, D'line, LB, DB, Special Teams. Which is ISU's strongest through weakest and why?

Fans here seem comfortable with QB and RB, so I'd expect them to lead the list. Let's see ...

This thread confirms my view that Iowans need to be creative to make up for.............

My unit? Well I am hung like an infant 9 pounds 3 ounces 21 inches long. And to Toledo yeah I do need to be creative to make up for my lack of looks and the beer equity around my mid section.

Reactions: tolfbfan

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
WR - B - Legit NFL talent from one guy which is pretty rare at ISU

RB - B- - A lot of past production that returns

DB - C - Cotton-Moya is proven, but injury prone. Then a bunch of talented guys who've not really proven much.

QB - C - Park has a high ceiling but he's barely touched it yet.

TE - C- - Some talent that won't be properly utilized. Like 5 TE catches combined since EJ Bibbs left

OL - D - The coaching is the only reason it's not an F. They have a defensive tackle at RG, but I guess if they can turn last years OL into mediocre, anything is possible.

DL - F - Almost always the worst unit on the field, which returns some guys, but they were bad for most of last season.

LB - F- - Our starting middle linebacker is a ******* quarterback.

• Agree
Reactions: The_Gent

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
  1. Special Teams - no surprise
  2. QB - fifth year senior, Jesse Ertz, must stay healthy
  3. O'line - losing Rimington List senior center, Reid Najvar, for season/career hurt this unit
  4. RB - this is a big/deep/seasoned unit led by all-conference fullback, Winston Dimel
  5. DB - potential all-conference at both corners; one safety position open
  6. WR - adding Cal transfer Carlos Strickland (only 4* recruit on squad) adds depth
  7. DL - #75 will be missed - three starters return
  8. LB - concerns aplenty here
Grow up Surly.

• Funny
Reactions: ISUCubswin

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA

DB - C - Cotton-Moya is proven, but injury prone. Then a bunch of talented guys who've not really proven much.

TE - C- - Some talent that won't be properly utilized. Like 5 TE catches combined since EJ Bibbs left

OL - D - The coaching is the only reason it's not an F. They have a defensive tackle at RG, but I guess if they can turn last years OL into mediocre, anything is possible.

DL - F - Almost always the worst unit on the field, which returns some guys, but they were bad for most of last season.

Wow, you are super downer......
I completely disagree with F's what are you basis on? Last year? Trust me I am not on the hype train, but you breakdown is not really researched...

The_Gent

Aug 19, 2016
Wow, you are super downer......
I completely disagree with F's what are you basis on? Last year? Trust me I am not on the hype train, but you breakdown is not really researched...
Based on evidence and that alone he's not wrong, really. We were 102nd vs the run and lost our 2 best lineman. The guys saying we will have an average line are hopeful and not basing their grades on tangible evidence.

• Disagree
Reactions: jburke

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Based on evidence and that alone he's not wrong, really. We were 102nd vs the run and lost our 2 best lineman. The guys saying we will have an average line are hopeful and not basing their grades on tangible evidence.
If Robbie Garcia and Vernell Trent were the starters.... but we recruited this area heavily. Also if you look even at the preseason All-Conference items big 12 media and coaches have Lima getting some pretty big props already... I know we are young and unproven, but we are not undersized like usual ISU DL's and more than that we have much more depth.... Also if we have Kamilo sneak in by mid-year for 12ish snaps a game that is just a cherry on the top... I also think losing Tucker and Thomas is over valued. Both had next level talent but were playing a bit out of position last year, Tucker is true 3/4 downlineman. Thomas was playing strong side end till last year.... Also if they were on a team where they had the depth like this year, to me both the LBer and DL crews will be night and day..... Time will tell but I believe even with the lack of play last year, you can give them an F.... Pull you head out and do your research...

The_Gent

Aug 19, 2016
If Robbie Garcia and Vernell Trent were the starters.... but we recruited this area heavily. Also if you look even at the preseason All-Conference items big 12 media and coaches have Lima getting some pretty big props already... I know we are young and unproven, but we are not undersized like usual ISU DL's and more than that we have much more depth.... Also if we have Kamilo sneak in by mid-year for 12ish snaps a game that is just a cherry on the top... I also think losing Tucker and Thomas is over valued. Both had next level talent but were playing a bit out of position last year, Tucker is true 3/4 downlineman. Thomas was playing strong side end till last year.... Also if they were on a team where they had the depth like this year, to me both the LBer and DL crews will be night and day..... Time will tell but I believe even with the lack of play last year, you can give them an F.... Pull you head out and do your research...
I base things on actual evidence and research. You're speculating on a kid thats never taken a big 12 snap based on hope and a recruiting ranking. It's you that needs to pull your head out.

I graded them a D+ btw, which is decent for their recent historical production.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I base things on actual evidence and research. You're speculating on a kid thats never taken a big 12 snap based on hope and a recruiting ranking. It's you that needs to pull your head out.
you are the one the rated the DL and LBers a D+, I would go more on the optimistic side of C-, but I think we agree more than you think....

The_Gent

Aug 19, 2016
you are the one the rated the DL and LBers a D+, I would go more on the optimistic side of C-, but I think we agree more than you think....
I'm a seeing is believing guy. We haven't been good on the DL in ages. I also have the unpopular opinion that Lanning will be an average b12 lb, at best.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I'm a seeing is believing guy. We haven't been good on the DL in ages. I also have the unpopular opinion that Lanning will be an average b12 lb, at best.
I truly believe without drastic injuries that both groups will be much better than last year. I do agree they are the most concerning across the team... I am a seeing is believe guy as well, and have not even bought into any of the coach speak that has gone on up till now....

The_Gent

Aug 19, 2016
I truly believe without drastic injuries that both groups will be much better than last year. I do agree they are the most concerning across the team... I am a seeing is believe guy as well, and have not even bought into any of the coach speak that has gone on up till now....
Noted. I haven't seen anything defensively that will make me give this staff the benefit of the doubt, yet.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio

Tight ends can provide allot of hidden value without catching a pass in CMC offense.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
8536170.gif

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Tight ends can provide allot of hidden value without catching a pass in CMC offense.

Fair enough, but that still validates a average to low rating across the nation. It's about production, which even if that's blocking it's almost impossible to quantify nationally.

That said, I'm still high on Allen and Kolar.

Reactions: tolfbfan

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron