Culver could push for ISU to Big Ten

bhawk326

Jun 6, 2010
everyyard, I'm with you. I think Nebraska is gone to the Big Ten. I just think it is garbage that Texas is making them out to be the only bad guy in dissolving the Big 12. Without Colorado, Nebraska and Missouri, the Big 12 could still exist with Texas. Texas just wouldn't want to be in that league.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
no that is just texas leveraging fox. you have it backwords.

I'm not so sure about that. We've been hearing rumors about a pac 10\big 12 tv alliance for awhile. This may be what it is. And it makes sense that the rest of the big 12 would be putting pressure on nebraska if that is important to Fox.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
I was trying to give a DMac+ scenario, but I respect your point. Iowa is at least close to that with Top-10 4 out of 8, Top-20 5 out of 8 and 2 Big Ten Titles. If ISU had that type of success for 21 years (even Bill Snyder didn't have 21 years of success), then yes we would be talking about ISU in a different circumstance, but I'm still not sure it is enough to get ISU the PAC 10 invite due to location and TV sets for the new PAC 16 network. Maybe the Big 10 gives ISU greater consideration, but the lack of delivering more subscription fees works against ISU. I think that would move ISU into the Pitt category. A great school to add academically and in your scenario athletically, but does it grow the pot enough to make up for splitting the pie another way. Sadly, I think, like Pitt, that would put ISU in the 2nd tier of expansion candidates.

The Big 12 could absolutely replace the losses of Nebraska and Missouri to the Big 10 and Colorado to the PAC 12 with let's say BYU, Boise State and Other Team (TCU or Houston) and still be a BCS conference even if weaker. Texas doesn't want to be in that league and that is why it wouldn't survive. Texas forcing Nebraska to commit to the conference or it will leave is just a way for Texas to not take the blame for destroying the Big 12 conference. If Nebraska, with Missouri and Colorado, wanted to show Texas for the ugliness it is, they would agree to commit to the Big 12 if Texas concedes to equal revenue distribution, rotation of the Big 12 Championship between KC and Dallas and other things that would make the Big 12 conference better in the long run. What would Texas do then?
That will never happen as long as Dan "DeLoss Dodds" Beebe is running the big 12. That was the cause of the collapse because Texa$ had food taken off their table, in terms of recruits, for example, in today's college football landscape, SWC College Football hall of famers/Heisman winners like Andre Ware, Dave Klingler, Don Meredith, Bob Lilly, Eric Dickerson would've surely landed at Texas.....Teams like SMU, TCU, Houston, Rice, and Texas A&M, really kept Texas at bay from the 1970's to the collapse of the SWC in 1995.....(apparently they didn't take to kindly to this, and the rest is unfolding as we speak)

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
yep. although the overdrawn name is really lame...and I hate A&M.

I can't hate on A&M... theyre very much like ISU when you get down there... It feels like ISU with more money, a bit more conservative.

bhawk326

Jun 6, 2010
bostrem00, my mistake on the 12th team. I was hasty to post and should have done a little more research on the 12th team. Let's go with Memphis then. Big state university with similar academics to lower tier Big 12 schools and a 60,000 seat stadium in the Liberty Bowl with the cache of the Memphis market for TV sets.

While not as good as the Big 12 is currently, could the Big 12 not exist with BYU, Boise State and Memphis replacing Colorado, Nebraska and Missouri?

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
bostrem00, my mistake on the 12th team. I was hasty to post and should have done a little more research on the 12th team. Let's go with Memphis then. Big state university with similar academics to lower tier Big 12 schools and a 60,000 seat stadium in the Liberty Bowl with the cache of the Memphis market for TV sets.

While not as good as the Big 12 is currently, could the Big 12 not exist with BYU, Boise State and Memphis replacing Colorado, Nebraska and Missouri?

Memphis is so far down the list... UT would go to the Big 10 before that would happen, imo.

Reactions: LutherClone

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
Memphis is so far down the list... UT would go to the Big 10 before that would happen, imo.
That's right on ze money, which is along the lines of Texas not joining the SEC, letting a school with 0 academic standards from i've heard about memphis, is like letting a fox loose in a hen house....

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
From Fake Dan Beebe

DanBeebe

I can assume that a number of new followers from Iowa means you're ready to join our conference. Where do you want the secret Horns tattoo?

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
It certainly appears Culver waited until after he got word that the decisions had been made before he put out these disingenuous comments. Nothing more than a slap in the face to ISU alumni and supporters to get their vote imo.

bhawk326

Jun 6, 2010
Alright, how about UCF, USF, Colorado State, UNLV or San Diego State as the 12th school? My point was that there would be a way to find a replacement team that would allow the Big 12 to survive if not a weaker version if Texas wanted to continue with the Big 12. The existence of a Big 12 conference completely hinges on Texas in my opinion. To say it is Nebraska's fault if the Big 12 dissolves is disingenuous in my opinion. While they would have a hand in destroying the conference, Texas is as complicit or worse.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Alright, how about UCF, USF, Colorado State, UNLV or San Diego State as the 12th school? My point was that there would be a way to find a replacement team that would allow the Big 12 to survive if not a weaker version if Texas wanted to continue with the Big 12. The existence of a Big 12 conference completely hinges on Texas in my opinion. To say it is Nebraska's fault if the Big 12 dissolves is disingenuous in my opinion. While they would have a hand in destroying the conference, Texas is as complicit or worse.

Is the last person to take a cookie the one who ate them all?
Too many people close to the situation, with sources other than UT, say it is on UN at Lincoln.

bhawk326

Jun 6, 2010
I know the media is saying it's Nebraska's fault, but why is it their fault and their fault alone? My point was that the Big 12 conference could continue to exist without Nebraska and Missouri as long as Texas stayed. Would Nebraska and Missouri start the dominoes? Yes. Then they deserve blame, but Texas has the power to keep the Big 12 together if they wanted to. If they don't want to remain in the Big 12 without Nebraska, then they deserve blame as well for the dissolving of the Big 12 conference. Do you get the point I'm making swathmoreCy?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I know the media is saying it's Nebraska's fault, but why is it their fault and their fault alone? My point was that the Big 12 conference could continue to exist without Nebraska and Missouri as long as Texas stayed. Would Nebraska and Missouri start the dominoes? Yes. Then they deserve blame, but Texas has the power to keep the Big 12 together if they wanted to. If they don't want to remain in the Big 12 without Nebraska, then they deserve blame as well for the dissolving of the Big 12 conference. Do you get the point I'm making swathmoreCy?

Agree. They could choose to bring in another team to replace Nebraska and move on. Both NU and UT deserve blame if the conference falls apart.

bhawk326

Jun 6, 2010
Also, who's to say that the Big 12 six heading to the Pac 10 won't go if Nebraska stays? What if Nebraska and Missouri commit to the Big 12 and then the Pac 10 gives Texas concessions it cannot refuse (unequal revenue sharing, allows the formation of the Longhorn network, conference championship games in Dallas)? Do you really think there is no way that Texas wouldn't leave the Big 12 under those circumstances? It isn't like the Big 12 six are signing anything keeping them in the conference.

bhawk326

Jun 6, 2010
Thank you alarson. I wasn't trying to infer that Nebraska was blameless. I just think it is crazy how the sports media has made Nebraska to be the only bad guy in this situation.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Also, who's to say that the Big 12 six heading to the Pac 10 won't go if Nebraska stays? What if Nebraska and Missouri commit to the Big 12 and then the Pac 10 gives Texas concessions it cannot refuse (unequal revenue sharing, allows the formation of the Longhorn network, conference championship games in Dallas)? Do you really think there is no way that Texas wouldn't leave the Big 12 under those circumstances? It isn't like the Big 12 six are signing anything keeping them in the conference.

I believe 9 schools committed to the Big 12 if UN-Lincoln was in....CU, UN-Lincoln, and MU did not. CU not having one of the reported Pac-10 is very interesting.

There is never one bad guy in these types of situations. It is human nature to give the blame to those that hold the majority. Imo, that is UN-Lincoln.

bhawk326

Jun 6, 2010
swathmoreCY, I had not heard anything about the other 9 pledging or signing anything. All I heard was that the league was requesting a pledge from Nebraska, Missouri and Colorado.

I guess you and I just see differing levels of fault between Texas and Nebraska. In my opinion if Nebraska leaves, with Missouri or not, the Big 12 can survive even though weaker. If Texas leaves, it will not leave alone. It will take 5 other teams with it, leaving Nebraska little choice but to take a much better offer from the Big Ten then have a Big 6 invite lower conference teams to join it. To me one team will completely destroy the conference if it leaves where as the other would hurt the conference but not ultimately cause its dissolution. That is why I think Texas is much more to blame if the Big 12 breaks apart.