CR Tailgate Tour Observations and Information I Gathered

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Great turnout and crowd last night for the Cedar Rapids tailgate tour stop. Probably the best one by far that I've been to. The NewBo Market is a great place to hold the event, outside of the fact that it got hotter than you know where in there. The following are a few observations and new information I learned while attending the event:

Observations
- During Fred's speech, he got the crowd going when, out of nowhere, he pretty much yelled how we "got screwed" out of the Ohio State game. While I've heard him say this before, I've never heard him say anything this loudly or with this much passion. Needless to say, he got a standing ovation for that one.

-He also said again how he was sure we would have gotten to the Final 4 if we would have won that game

-CPR sounded very optimistic that our offense is getting set up for a breakout year

New Information
-While talking to CJL and asking her some specific questions, I learned of a VERY big news item in the works for the volleyball program which she said is in the very down-low mode right now. Only by the fact that it is pretty big news and she obviously only shared this with me because I specifically asked her about it, I'll probably choose to keep this one to myself. I only say this because it is something worth getting excited about with the program. Look for an announcement on this relatively soon.

-While talking to the Cyclones.tv people, I learned that with the Mediacom dedicated channel coming online and consequently making it easier for opposing coaches to get game film anyways, CJL is now allowing Cyclones.tv to archive replays of all the volleyball games for the coming season. This was something I've always hoped for.

-The Cyclones.tv people also let me know that things are in the works for them to be able to stream video for live events on smartphones. I did not learn when this would exactly become available necessarily, but it seemed like they were talking about this fall. Don't quote me on the time frame.

-Things are also possibly in the works to make Cyclones.tv more SmartTV friendly as they would like to get an MLB.TV type app available through a few streaming boxes. I know one he specifically said was the Roku Box, but I can't remember the other one (perhaps Boxee). He said they will probably only be available on a few platforms at first as there are hundreds of platforms with all the different setups, which would be a ton of work and cost a ton of money to be on all the different platforms and all the different Smart TVs.

-They showed me this new machine they are renting and testing out now for $2,000/month, to see how it works and how they could use it. What it does is that it is a portable thing that allows them to broadcast filming more easily and instantaneously on Cyclones.tv. During the tailgate tour, they were using it to film and broadcast the event live. For instance, I stepped in front of the camera and through a computer they had there, I saw myself being broadcast live on Cyclones.tv. I'm assuming the specialness of the machine is it being very portable.

-They lastly talked about some type of a pregame type show they would like to stream live prior to football games in a set outside the Bergstrom facility where the Wilson Toyota tent is now. It sounded like that new machine I talked about above will help them with this. I didn't get too much more details on this and this one sounded more like an idea than a set plan.

Hopefully everyone appreciates this information. Most of it is new Cyclones.tv stuff, which is stuff I'm always interested in.

Last edited:

TCG

Mar 9, 2011
The volleyball info. is really interesting. It would be awesome if it was a sand team...I don't know what else it could be

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Anyone else in my boat that thinks the live streaming on the smartphone app will be pretty awesome? I'm surprised nobody has commented on that yet. I currently have the WatchESPN app on my droid which I use A LOT. I'm not going to lie, it is pretty amazing, and while I wouldn't use the Cyclones.tv one as much to watch live games on my phone (not as much content), there may be a few instances where it could become mighty handy, particularly with some volleyball games. Also, if anyone else hasn't noticed, 4G for live streaming is nearly night and day different from 3G. I have US cellular here in Eastern Iowa and I can stream WatchESPN games crystal clear nearly without interruption anywhere around the Cedar Rapids or Iowa City area.

Last edited:

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Just curious, does anyone else have the WatchESPN app on their smartphone by chance?

I do! Our cable provider just got on board a few monthgs ago and it is awesome! Cyclones.tv on it would be pretty awesome, however I won't get too excited as I usually attend football games, and would rather watch other games online via a larger screen. I wish I could get games on my Smart TV.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I do! Our cable provider just got on board a few monthgs ago and it is awesome! Cyclones.tv on it would be pretty awesome, however I won't get too excited as I usually attend football games, and would rather watch other games online via a larger screen. I wish I could get games on my Smart TV.

From my original post, it is possible you may see the games on your Smart TV in the future, but more likely that they'll start by being available through some type of streaming box like a Roku box. Who knows though?

Last edited:

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Any idea if Mediacom allows this? Have not looked.

Nope, Mediacom internet only allows ESPN3 access, in order to have access to the WatchESPN app on your smartphone, you have to have full WatchESPN access (much different than ESPN3 access). To get WatchESPN access, a person has to be one of the few having cable TV subscription with a short list of providers, and it is a pretty short list. As far as I know, none of the TV providers with access are even available in Iowa. A couple examples of ones who DO have access are Time Warner, Bright House Networks, Charter... etc. Here is the actual list: WatchESPN FAQ

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I have the app on my phone. It is hit and miss (usually miss) when watching a game, bit its just 3g. Watching games through the ESPN app on xbox is great.

I don't know why they don't just get some seniors to write apps for 'free' labor and give them course credit for it.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I have the app on my phone. It is hit and miss (usually miss) when watching a game, bit its just 3g. Watching games through the ESPN app on xbox is great.

I don't know why they don't just get some seniors to write apps for 'free' labor and give them course credit for it.

Yeah, like I said earlier, it is night and day difference between 3G streaming on your smartphone and 4G streaming. I really didn't think it would be as big as it is. While US cellular (what I have) sucks in regards to multiple things, it is very good on 4G coverage within the state. Outside the state is pretty much nonexistent.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron