CPR's Teleconference

Swanson10

Jun 12, 2008
No, it isn't. Having a program that is seen as being succesful outside of the Iowa game is. You folks like to point that ISU has won 7 of the last 11 against Iowa - but for some reason, Iowa has been cleaning up the in-state recruits over the last 3-4 years.

Sustained success in the Big 12 will do more to get in-state recruits than beating Iowa and then tanking the rest of the year ever will.

Holy cow, an carp fan gets it. But then again he is a cubs fan too, so he is half cool:confused:.

CyFanInChiLand

Jul 14, 2009
New Orleans
Every Iowa fan I know - co-workers, neighbors, friends - treats this game as more of a "must win" over any other...

You must live in central Iowa then. I've lived all around the state and now out of state, and will say Hawk fans in central Iowa are the only ones that get really jacked for this game. When living in Dubuque, Hawk fans could care less about ISU and hated Wisconsin. Friends from northern Iowa always get pumped for the Minny game. When I lived in the Quad Cities, it was more of a hatred for them with Illinois. The only time I've had Hawk fans get pumped for this game is during my time in Des Moines.

Myself, I'd much rather win conference games than the Iowa game. Winning the in-state recruiting battles is nice, but it won't make much difference if we win or lose. It seems most of the top recruits come from the eastern portion of the state, and ISU gets no press there. They never have, they never will. It's big X country there and that won't be changing.

To hear our coach talk about how this game is more important than others makes me ashamed. It shows how low we really have set our goals.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Another example of this rivalry is volleyball - ISU is now the dominant program in the state, and is the program of choice for the top Iowa preps.
So ISU plays at Iowa Friday night: somehow I think that beating ISU is a little more important to the Hawks than beating Purdue or Indiana...

Swanson10

Jun 12, 2008
Another example of this rivalry is volleyball - ISU is now the dominant program in the state, and is the program of choice for the top Iowa preps.
So ISU plays at Iowa Friday night: somehow I think that beating ISU is a little more important to the Hawks than beating Purdue or Indiana...

I noticed more recruits for VBall coming from out of state now.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
I think that it is an important game as it is a home game and we need to protect Jack Trice each and every game. Oponents should be afraid of coming to Jack Trice to play the Cyclones!!!

In the case of the Hawks, they should be afraid from more reasons than the presence of cops.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Amen, brother, amen. It is an important game for one week and one week only. BXII games are so much more important, for obvious reasons. The goal is to win the North and go from there. The Iowa game does not count in that total. However, it is important for our win total and a bowl. If you win the North, a bowl appearance is a given.

You think the .. say Baylor game.. is more important than the iowa game?

Wow, i think that iowa game is always the most important individual win of the year. Same goes for most iowa fans.

Reactions: Tornado man

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I noticed more recruits for VBall coming from out of state now.

Coach Johnson-Lynch, in her speech to us at Ames Rotary this spring, stressed that they must always "own the state of Iowa" and get their pick of the top players (like freshman Hannah Johnson of Ankeny).
This is nothing different than what Rhoads has said.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
You think the .. say Baylor game.. is more important than the iowa game?

Wow, i think that iowa game is always the most important individual win of the year. Same goes for most iowa fans.

As far as the conference standings go....yes. The same would apply for a win over Indiana v. a win over Iowa State. The Iowa/Iowa State game is important to the fans, while the reality is that a conference win over even the worst team in the conference - in Iowa's case Indiana or Minnesota goes a lot farther.

I'll put it this way. Go back to 2005, and tell me if you would trade the Iowa win for a win over Baylor that year?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I don't. While it's nice he is fired up. It is just another game. Some fans need to stop acting like this is the only game of the year. The Big XII is more important.

Completely disagree. This is not just another game, and as much as Hawk fans try to downplay the importance of this game...it is important to them to.

First and foremost, every game is incredibly important to us this year. This one, if for no other reason, might be our best chance to beat a ranked team this year. If we beat a ranked team, start 2-0, and have generated alot of excitment going forth in non-conference play...I like our chances at a bowl game.

This game is always a bit more important as we try to get rid of this "little brother" complex. Iowa fans look at Iowa State as thier "little brother", and so do alot of recruits in this state. Their program is a more established and seen more success..and everytime we can knock them off we come closer to lessening the gap between the two schools. I agree, that beating Iowa alone will not do this, but we have to see success in conference and reach post-season play. But beating Iowa goes a long way towards our reputation in state.

Finally, this game should be more important to the players because it is more important to the fans. It has to be widely known amongst the players that this is one game fans of both teams circle on their calendars. This game is so far engrained into the state's culture that people spend the whole year scheduling around this game. Anyone who has played sports knows that when you can sense that extra excitment from the fans...it manifests itself in extra excitment in you.

This is not just any other game. If we win this game and lose the rest, will we be happy? No. We have 10 games after this one, and we will want to win them all. But the importance of this game, whether it be about beating a ranked team, gaining in-state respect, or pleasing the fans... is undenaible.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Coach Johnson-Lynch, in her speech to us at Ames Rotary this spring, stressed that they must always "own the state of Iowa" and get their pick of the top players (like freshman Hannah Johnson of Ankeny).

This is more of a Public Relations statement than an actual need in recruiting, especially in football...

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
disagree. we could lose to iowa every single year, but if we win the north we will still win big recruiting battles.

Exactly! We won the game 5 years in a row. Did we ever win in-state recruiting? I would much rather contend for the North and get the attention of recruits all over the nation, including Iowa. Granted, UI has the advantage of playing in the B11, but look at the years we beat them and they went on to a nice bowl and Top 25 ranking. They did it by winning conference games. Heck, now that both teams (ISU) aren't posting winning records; the game has gone from ABC to Versus and FSN.

nickwc

Mar 27, 2007
Denver, CO
As far as the conference standings go....yes. The same would apply for a win over Indiana v. a win over Iowa State. The Iowa/Iowa State game is important to the fans, while the reality is that a conference win over even the worst team in the conference - in Iowa's case Indiana or Minnesota goes a lot farther.

I'll put it this way. Go back to 2005, and tell me if you would trade the Iowa win for a win over Baylor that year?[/QUOTE]

heck yes i would, any cyclone fan that would tell you otherwise is stupid or blind. Big 12 north and the Big 12 in general are way more important. I'll give the hawks this one this week if we can beat okie state. it shouldn't have to be one or the other though

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
This is more of a Public Relations statement than an actual need in recruiting, especially in football...

Bill Snyder said exactly the same thing when he first took over at Kansas State. All the talk about his JC recruiting notwithstanding, KSU owned the state of Kansas' prep talent when Snyder built the program.

Swanson10

Jun 12, 2008
Bill Snyder said exactly the same thing when he first took over at Kansas State. All the talk about his JC recruiting notwithstanding, KSU owned the state of Kansas' prep talent when Snyder built the program.

Why are you sooo caught up on winning the in-state battle? There are maybe 10 players from Iowa each year that should/could step on a FBS field. Over a 4 year period that means ****. We NEED national attention MORE then in-state, and not for being the joke of the BigXII either.

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
The more wins we have during the season, the less important the Iowa game is. If we win 7, but lose to Iowa, then who cares. But if we only win 3 games this year, you bet I would rather have the win over Iowa than over Kansas State.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

Mac says the same thing in BB, but when there are only 2 or 3 legit Big 12 players from the state every 10 years, does it really matter. Granted HB would be a program changer but players like that dont come along very often. When Orr, LE, and TF were winning they did it with out of state talent and the instate players were filling rolls for the most part.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
No, it isn't. Having a program that is seen as being succesful outside of the Iowa game is. You folks like to point that ISU has won 7 of the last 11 against Iowa - but for some reason, Iowa has been cleaning up the in-state recruits over the last 3-4 years.

Sustained success in the Big 12 will do more to get in-state recruits than beating Iowa and then tanking the rest of the year ever will.

ISU has got its share of quality players from the state of Iowa the past 10 years. Some may not be highly thought of out of HS but they did have an impact on the program once they were done. Dont forget Chizik didnt think highly of the instate talent and the HS coaches in the state didnt think much of him and that impact is there.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
I'm sure OU is fine with losing their first game. All of the more important conference games are left for them to play and win.:jimlad:

Rhoads' goal is to become BCS relevant. That starts with being able to win any game you take the field. Fry downplayed the rivalry game, but then ran up the score whenever possible to solidify the in-state recruiting, so much so that it remains Iowa's advantage today. ISU is relevant in Eastern Iowa (Gannon, Mahoney, Barkema, Brandt, Frere, etc), but Iowa normally has had more of an advantage there.

Of course ISU has to follow through after beating Iowa and not be content. I believe this is why we have a different coach than 3-4 years ago. We'd appear to blow our wad and not be able to reach anywhere near the intensity for most of the games that follow. These are the largest challenges to the present Cyclone culture, and CPR & his coaching staff must hunker down to change its course.

candg4ever

Oct 29, 2006
Nevada, IA
I don't. While it's nice he is fired up. It is just another game. Some fans need to stop acting like this is the only game of the year. The Big XII is more important.

One step at a time, one game at a time. While it's true that Big 12 games are much more important in the grand scheme of things, we have to approach each game separately. A win against a Top 25 team, even if they are overated, and I'm not sure they are, (UNI is very good, and I think EIU played way under their capabilities), would be a huge confidence booster and a great way to start CPR's Cyhawk legacy.

That being said, I believe this game does carry much more importance on the in-state recruiting front. Iowa doesn't have a ton of D-1, (FSB), players available, so a good showing can only help us to shore up the top recruits each year.