CPR's press conference

Hawkaholic

May 14, 2013
isufbcurt probably has more knowledge of what actually goes on in recruiting and with this specific situation that anyone else in this thread.

I didn't take his comments to be as much shots at ND and Iowa (even though he probably wanted them to be) as they were to the media that seemed to be pushing for Lazard to change his commitment to another school.

The only possible way ANYONE could not see those comments as shots at ND and Iowa is if you are drowning in Cyclone Kool-Aid. Clearly he was taking shots. Why the hell else would he say those things?

It's just classless. Coming off of a 3-9 season the guy lands one big time recruit and he wants to climb up on a mountaintop and rub it in everyone's face. It's absolutely ridiculous. Even if you haven't, act like you've been there before. It just screams "Look at me! Look at me! Look at me! I haven't produced many wins on the football field, but I convinced a Cyclone Legacy to come here!"

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I highly doubt that and that still doesn't make it right

If you're truly an elite program you're wasting your breath negatively recruiting instead of selling why you are elite. Not saying ISU is an elite program, but if Notre Dame is recruiting by talking about Iowa State, it's an admission from their staff that they're no longer really the Notre Dame of football history but just an average midwest football program in a really crappy town.

Would Oregon or Alabama need to focus on negative aspects of Iowa State, UAB or Oregon State? I highly doubt it when what they have to sell is so much greater than a negative jab. Notre Dame just isn't Notre Dame anymore so it doesn't surprise me if their recruiting efforts have to focus on ripping down other programs. With Iowa it's more about the local media, we've got an Iowa fan on the local WHO news calling us "Clowns" and asking Lazard if he's going to dump ISU a dozen times in one interview...that's bush league "journalism".

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
As I've said before I have a friend that works in the athletic department and it is not ridiculous at all. From what he was telling me it turned very negative and very personal towards CPR. It appeared it was the definition of backstabbing. And it's Bob Elliot BTW not Douglas.

Whoops, messed that one up!

And I was unaware of that. That makes a little more sense now. Still questionable as if he should of said something, but damnit CPR is not about holding any punches, and I appreciate him for it.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Yes, he is. And maybe Warren is or isn't a "better" recruit. The point is that we were not able to hang on to Mister, as badly as we wanted to and as hard as we tried. Try to follow along.

We lost Mister because we fired his position coach and then replaced him with a better recruit on paper.

For what it's worth, I really don't care for or against what he said about ND or Iowa. That's CPR and some people love it and some people hate it. I do like how he took a shot at the media though because I'm just going to assume it was targeted at Marty. Either way, I'm sure there is way more to the story than anyone on here knows

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
I'm glad there's a handful of Cyclone fans in here who seem to have a grip on reality. This is CPR. I get that. He's emotional. He often times says what's on his mind. However, sometimes he would be much better off thinking about what he's about to say before he says it.

Please correct me if I'm wrong....

1. Did Iowa State land everyone they were targeting? If the answer is no then clearly the Iowa State coaching staff also wasted time recruiting players who went elsewhere. Hypocrite.

2. Has Iowa State pursued players who were committed to other programs? If the answer is yes, then how was the recruiting that Iowa and ND did any different than what ISU and CPR himself does? Hypocrite.

Obviously, we all know the answer to these questions. I just find it incredibly hypocritical for CPR to feel the need to make these comments to the media. Now I'm a Hawk fan. I understand why some Cyclone fans would think this is kind of funny. However, CPR is calling other schools out for recruiting tactics that every single college football program in the country use including Iowa State.

In my opinion, it just isn't necessary. It isn't professional. It's borderline obnoxious, and it's simply CPR trying to put lipstick on a pig. You guys can call me a troll all you want, but read the thread. There are Cyclone fans saying the same things I'm saying. CPR needs to produce results and use those to pump up the fan base. This kind of crap should be getting old.

I'll bite. Hard to disagree with a lot here.

I don't like our fans that put ISU on a pedestal, because we are not. We may have a lot of integrity and consider ourselves a great school/fanbase/whatever, but we have to compete with the 120+ D1-FBS schools for recruits.

If you honestly think our coaching staff does ZERO negative recruiting, then you're living in your own world.

I do think our coaches have a lot of integrity and hold themselves to higher standards, but its the way of the world.

I don't know the whole situation with Campos last year, but if you think CPR didn't use the disappointing season they had coupled with the rocky transition to the SEC, then again, you're in your own world.

All that being said, I am 100% behind CPR and the staff. I laughed at his press conference because it seemed to me like textbook Rhoads, who I support fully. We are lucky to have him and if it wasn't for him, we wouldn't have Allen.

The media, as usual, can stick it. They wanted nothing more than Lazard to switch.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
We lost Mister because we fired his position coach and then replaced him with a better recruit on paper.

For what it's worth, I really don't care for or against what he said about ND or Iowa. That's CPR and some people love it and some people hate it. I do like how he took a shot at the media though because I'm just going to assume it was targeted at Marty. Either way, I'm sure there is way more to the story than anyone on here knows

If a kid leaves because we fired CM, then recommits because we hired possibly the most qualified OC in the nation, there's just other stuff going on. When we hired Mangino and neither ISU or Mister seemed to be looking back at each other it was very easy for me to say 'who cares'.

I guess Marty must have more local influence or a louder voice than I thought, I'd have guessed the ridiculous transparently-Hawkeye WHO interview reached and angered far more people.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
If you're truly an elite program you're wasting your breath negatively recruiting instead of selling why you are elite. Not saying ISU is an elite program, but if Notre Dame is recruiting by talking about Iowa State, it's an admission from their staff that they're no longer really the Notre Dame of football history but just an average midwest football program in a really crappy town.

Would Oregon or Alabama need to focus on negative aspects of Iowa State, UAB or Oregon State? I highly doubt it when what they have to sell is so much greater than a negative jab. Notre Dame just isn't Notre Dame anymore so it doesn't surprise me if their recruiting efforts have to focus on ripping down other programs. With Iowa it's more about the local media, we've got an Iowa fan on the local WHO news calling us "Clowns" and asking Lazard if he's going to dump ISU a dozen times in one interview...that's bush league "journalism".

Well it would only take one to make an exception to disprove him. I also believe there are coaches who stay away from negative recruiting no matter what level they are at just like you will not have an airline have negative advertising against each other regarding safety. I know there are coaches out there that do it but that doesn't mean they should have to resort to using and I don't mind if a coach calls another out especially if they were indeed doing it.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Boys will be Boys as they say.....If ND has to negatively recruit Lazard... then they have slipped to 2nd tier in college football, as far as UI goes, they will recruit until signing day and then their fanbase will say: WE REALLY DIDNT WANT THE GUY...... In the Lazard case this pronouncement "Fails Miserably."

In todays world of college football one could make the case that their is NO Elite teams anymore, just fanbases that think their team or conference is elite...I guess Bill Snyder proves year after year that you don't have to be elite to be competitive with every program nowadays!!

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

I don't like our fans that put ISU on a pedestal, because we are not. We may have a lot of integrity and consider ourselves a great school/fanbase/whatever, but we have to compete with the 120+ D1-FBS schools for recruits.

If you honestly think our coaching staff does ZERO negative recruiting, then you're living in your own world.

I do think our coaches have a lot of integrity and hold themselves to higher standards, but its the way of the world.

I don't know the whole situation with Campos last year, but if you think CPR didn't use the disappointing season they had coupled with the rocky transition to the SEC, then again, you're in your own world.

All that being said, I am 100% behind CPR and the staff. I laughed at his press conference because it seemed to me like textbook Rhoads, who I support fully. We are lucky to have him and if it wasn't for him, we wouldn't have Allen.

The media, as usual, can stick it. They wanted nothing more than Lazard to switch.

I've lived in a few different states and have never seen a local media presence feel so entitled. Now that they are having their toys taken away they are all going to forget how small time they are and that this is Iowa and do what they do best: Sensationalize.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
The shot at the media was stupid. Just comes off as whiny. And I wasn't even aware of what the media is doing that is so bad. He is acting like the guy is getting Wiggins like media attention. He isn't. I don't have a problem with the ban but like someone else said they should make it all freshman then because that sends the wrong message.

Hawkaholic

May 14, 2013

Good post. I don't blame him one bit for his comments regarding the media. I haven't followed the Lazard situation that closely, but I can understand a head coach being frustrated with the media for constantly running stories about his #1 recruit looking elsewhere.

I just don't agree with his decision to publically take shots at other schools for doing things he and his coaches do themselves. From an outsiders perspective, it's starting to seem like Rhoads pumps sunshine into everything that can be perceived as a positive development with ISU football in order to distract people from focusing on the W/L columns. He's still the head coach so it must be working.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The shot at the media was stupid. Just comes off as whiny. And I wasn't even aware of what the media is doing that is so bad. He is acting like the guy is getting Wiggins like media attention. He isn't. I don't have a problem with the ban but like someone else said they should make it all freshman then because that sends the wrong message.

I guess when I think of whiny I think of veiled little jabs and drawn out crying...This was just a big **** OFF, and now its done.

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
Again, I don't have any problem with putting Lazard off-limits to the media, but the rest of the comments sound to me like someone who's not used to recruiting elite players.

I don't know that I'd say Lazard got more attention than any other top recruit gets, and I'd bet that ND and Iowa did all the same things any other school, ourselves included, would do in that situation.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
In my opinion, it just isn't necessary. It isn't professional. It's borderline obnoxious, and it's simply CPR trying to put lipstick on a pig. You guys can call me a troll all you want, but read the thread. There are Cyclone fans saying the same things I'm saying. CPR needs to produce results and use those to pump up the fan base. This kind of crap should be getting old.

What kind of crap? The one statement he made today? You act like CPR is a pompous, arrogant ******* with no grip on reality. He made a statement that a lot of people are twisting and skewing to see what they want to see. Including yourself. Long story short:

red%2Bpepper%2Bjelly%2Bjar.jpg

Hawkaholic

May 14, 2013
Boys will be Boys as they say.....If ND has to negatively recruit Lazard... then they have slipped to 2nd tier in college football, as far as UI goes, they will recruit until signing day and then their fanbase will say: WE REALLY DIDNT WANT THE GUY...... In the Lazard case this pronouncement "Fails Miserably."

In todays world of college football one could make the case that their is NO Elite teams anymore, just fanbases that think their team or conference is elite...I guess Bill Snyder proves year after year that you don't have to be elite to be competitive with every program nowadays!!

If a Hawk fan tells you that Iowa really didn't want a top recruit it's your own fault if you actually believe that's how they feel. It's complete BS. Of course Iowa fans would have loved to have Lazard. An elite WR is something Iowa has been looking for forever.

Cyberclone

Aug 6, 2006
Sounds like you were just listening to KXNo. I listened and I was annoyed with Randy and all of them, there's always another side of the story. Point one, I think CPR was just pointing out how big of a recruit Lazard is and how big of a deal it is that ISU was able to get him and letting everyone know that he had a LOT of interest from other programs, and it shuts up the "we didn't want him anyways" hawk fans. Point two, nobody outside of the program knows why Lazard is being kept off limits, it's all just speculation, who knows, maybe Lazard told CPR that he was sick of the media and Rhoads solved the problem.

I guess I'm surprised at how butthurt the media got about a few comments. It is pretty clear to me, some of the "unbiased" media in this state, appeared to be almost actively recruiting him to decommit from ISU.

Hawkaholic

May 14, 2013
What kind of crap? The one statement he made today? You act like CPR is a pompous, arrogant ******* with no grip on reality. He made a statement that a lot of people are twisting and skewing to see what they want to see. Including yourself. Long story short:

red%2Bpepper%2Bjelly%2Bjar.jpg

Please explain to me what exactly there is to be jealous of....

Of course I would have liked to seen Lazard play for Iowa. That doesn't mean I'm jealous. Iowa had less recruits than ISU and their class still ranks higher. I'm not jealous of that in the least bit.

The crap I'm talking about is how Rhoads continuously puts lipstick on a pig. Every chance he gets he screams positivity in order to distract people from what's most important: wins and losses. He hasn't produced. He hasn't turned the program around. Now when he finally gets a big time recruit he uses it as an opportunity to take jabs at other programs for also recruiting him!? All I'm saying is that kind of crap to me seems very classless.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Wiggins got more media attention to be sure but I doubt he got media requests daily from Kansas State or Missouri fans disguised as journalists, then when he does grant them an interview the KSU fan asks 20 times if he's going to dump Kansas instead of actually having an interview.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
I love the fact that our coach fights for his players. That is one of the reasons kids want to play for him.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron