CPR's press conference

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
There is nothing wrong with being positive. In fact, I love the enthusiasm. You can be positive about your own program without going out of your way to take jabs at others who are only guilty of doing something you do yourself. That's what I take issue with.

The fact of the matter is Rhoads has not produced more wins. You can give me whatever stat you want. Bowls, athletic dept. revenue, more fans, etc. What matters to me as a Hawk fan is what direction the program is heading in regarding wins and losses. Allen Lazard isn't going to turn the program around himself. He can't throw it and catch it. He can't make tackles on defense. He is a nice piece to add to the puzzle, but the truth is Iowa State's football team needs a lot more pieces before you can actually claim things are headed the right direction. Win more games and people outside of Cyclone fans will believe it.

How about that crazy stat called wins? or win %? It's not Sabermetrics, pretty easy to understand.

List of Iowa State Cyclones head football coaches - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hawkaholic

May 14, 2013
You are asking if Paul Rhoads is as obnoxious as Fran Mccaffery? I do not believe that jamming out on an air guitar is equal to slamming chairs.

From what I've seen on the court, there was no need to.

What have we seen on the field from Lazard? Even if he produces that still makes it okay for Rhoads to be a hypocrite?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
OK, so CPR brags up a high-ranking recruit who chose to stay when he really didn't have to, and builds the brand a little, then takes a couple of jabs here and there.

That's followed up by panicky people and Iowa fans lecturing about CPR as some sort of coaching failure when he's still done a number of things here that previous coaches couldn't pull off.

Good thread. This should continue nicely.

Hawkaholic

May 14, 2013
You look at the records; Chiz was 5-19.

Iowa basketball is still without an NCAA tournament appearance in 8 years, and without a win in the NCAA tournament in more than a decade. But I'm sure you think they played for national title last year.

And Lick was 38-57 at Iowa
Fran is 71-54

They'll be in the NCAA Tournament this year, and they barely missed it last year. Point is it is clear the Iowa basketball team continues to improve their number of wins. The Iowa State football team remains in neutral or reverse and it's what year 5 now of the Rhoads era?

Last edited:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
They'll be in the NCAA Tournament this year, and they barely missed it last year. Point is it is clear the Iowa basketball team continues to improve their number of wins. The Iowa State football team remains in neutral or reverse and it's what year 5 now of the Rhoads era?

They'll be watching the tournament. It takes quality wins to make the dance.
Don't worry, though. You can watch our guys show you the tournament experience.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Seems like a good synopsis. I just know 90% of what people talk about when it comes to Fran and Rhoads is lack of success and how they display themselves on the court/field. Instead of shedding positive light on kids that are now Cyclones and the future of the program, we are again discussing comments/actions by a leader in our athletic department.

I'll agree with this. A little like the athletic department sending out the tweet that January bowls aren't what they once were. Give us credit as a fan base. I know they aren't what they once were-. Please, though, just get me to one some day, rather than jabbing Iowa. Pointing out that we got the top recruit in Iowa for the second straight year. OK, get me some more. Two guys aren't going to do it. We finished 10th in a 10 team conference with more recruits.

We do sound a little pathetic with this stuff. Was the main thing I always disliked about McCarney. "We won the second half". "We're dominating the state of Iowa in recruiting". Blah, blah, blah. We ultimately ran him out for the same performance PR has had so far. Get us some wins!

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
There is nothing wrong with being positive. In fact, I love the enthusiasm. You can be positive about your own program without going out of your way to take jabs at others who are only guilty of doing something you do yourself. That's what I take issue with.

The fact of the matter is Rhoads has not produced more wins. You can give me whatever stat you want. Bowls, athletic dept. revenue, more fans, etc. What matters to me as a Hawk fan is what direction the program is heading in regarding wins and losses. Allen Lazard isn't going to turn the program around himself. He can't throw it and catch it. He can't make tackles on defense. He is a nice piece to add to the puzzle, but the truth is Iowa State's football team needs a lot more pieces before you can actually claim things are headed the right direction. Win more games and people outside of Cyclone fans will believe it.

Now you are being silly.

Rhoads has the best winning percentage since Earle Bruce in 1978. Thats 36 years ago. That to me is producing more wins.

Getting to bowl games means your winning at least half your games (which at ISU is a longshot). I guess I don't see how you don't think Rhoads has produced at ISU. Sure his production may not be up to better school standards, but remember where ISU is. We aren't a football powerhouse. Weve had 1 9 win season, we have a winning record against Baylor and KSU and that is it within our conference.

We are 5-70-2 against OU. We are 1-9 vs UT (Rhoads win).

How is Rhoads not being productive at ISU? You can't compare him to Saban or even Kirk, his comparables are other ISU coaches and he is leading the race if you ask me.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
1. Look at Fran's W/L record from when he took over the program to where it is now.
2. Now look at Rhoads W/L record from when he took over the program compared to where it is now.
3. Get back to me when you realize the difference.

Did Fran go out of his way to jab other schools for trying to get Woodbury?

John Chisum posted a 0.208 winning percentage. Paul has posted a 0.428.

The Todd had a 0.4 winning percentage. Francis has a 0.61 winning percentage.

They've both put up a 0.2% increase in win percentage prior to when they arrived. Great argument you got there.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
And Lick was 38-57 at Iowa
Fran is 71-54

One good season doesn't mean a program is moving forward. That goes for both sports. But stay on your high horse. Being a squawk fan makes you all-knowing.

Hawkaholic

May 14, 2013
I'll agree with this. A little like the athletic department sending out the tweet that January bowls aren't what they once were. Give us credit as a fan base. I know they aren't what they once were-. Please, though, just get me to one some day, rather than jabbing Iowa. Pointing out that we got the top recruit in Iowa for the second straight year. OK, get me some more. Two guys aren't going to do it. We finished 10th in a 10 team conference with more recruits.

We do sound a little pathetic with this stuff. Was the main thing I always disliked about McCarney. "We won the second half". "We're dominating the state of Iowa in recruiting". Blah, blah, blah. We ultimately ran him out for the same performance PR has had so far. Get us some wins!

THIS THIS THIS!!! Thank you! Some rationality exists!

Hawkaholic

May 14, 2013
Whatever. I'm sure taking money from Internet strangers is a good idea, but thanks for the 5th grade argument there.

Get some quality wins, then talk up Iowa basketball. The fact of the matter is that they just don't get the job done.
Unless the job is a couple of NIT wins. They may be good for those.

PM me. We can exchange emails and paypals. I was born and raised in small town Iowa. Don't have a dishonest bone in my body.

Hawkaholic

May 14, 2013
John Chisum posted a 0.208 winning percentage. Paul has posted a 0.428.

The Todd had a 0.4 winning percentage. Francis has a 0.61 winning percentage.

They've both put up a 0.2% increase in win percentage prior to when they arrived. Great argument you got there.

Dude you're comparing overall winning percentages when I'm talking improvement! Two completely different things. I'll break it down for you:

Coach Rhoads
Year one 7-6
Year two 5-7
Year three 6-7
Year four 6-7
Year five 3-9

Coach Fran
Year one 11-20
Year two 18-17
Year three 25-13
Year four 17-5 so far

Do you comprehend that or do I need to make a line graph for you to understand the difference there Mr. Bader?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
What have we seen on the field from Lazard? Even if he produces that still makes it okay for Rhoads to be a hypocrite?

I think its got as much to do with AL as a person, Rhoads knows him very well and knows that even before ever officially being a student at ISU he was campaigning for ISU. It's not just that he's a high rated kid who ISU nabbed, its about a high rated kid from the area who has already bought in to the program. Who is already showing that he is a leader, that he can help the program off the field from day. It even goes beyond football, he's been at bball games chatting up recruits Freddie has in as well.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
PM me. We can exchange emails and paypals. I was born and raised in small town Iowa. Don't have a dishonest bone in my body.

I see what you are saying and by all means, you can say it.

But you came on here, with an open mind for discussion, then started trying to compare Fran and Rhoads.

First off, this is an ISU board and they aren't comparable. Two different sports, two different expectations. Iowa is a historically good bball program. They have a national title to their name I believe, along with many other accolades. ISU football is not the same kind of program. But if you want to look at accomplishments compared to expectations, how doesn't Rhoads win out?

Fran - No NCAA tourney as of yet, has excited fans and brought in good recruits, has cost his team a game or two, and loses to Baylor

Rhoads - 3 bowl games in first 4 years, has excited fans to where we have set attendance records and money records, hasn't cost his team any games. Beat the #2 team in the nation and played a role in the new playoff you will see next year.

Both are good coaches in my mind, but complete different expectations. Fran is supposed to get Iowa back to the tourney and compete. Rhoads is expected to get his team to bowls and compete. One of these objectives has been completed, and now people are expecting more.

In other words, Fran is on Level 1, Rhoads is on Level 2.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron