CPR's press conference

zmanzbo

Apr 11, 2006
It was pretty lame and cheese ****. Time to put up some ******* results.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I'm sure CPR has wanted to go on this rant for months, and yesterday was the first day he could actually do it.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
He was one of the biggest stars in the CIML, of course the media was in his face. That's what happens. He never once declined any media request in HS and nobody outside of Marty even tried to say he was flipping his commitment, they were just reporting the story.

Actually he declined a lot of interview requests. He only gave interviews to select reporters because he got tired of them twisting his words and second guessing his decision.

As for those saying it is a 2 way street with ND & IA recruiting Lazard while he was committed and us recruiting Jeff Jones while he was committed to Minn. There is a HUGE difference, we weren't negative recruiting while that's all IA and ND did. The DMR had an article a while back that makes Elliott look like a choir boy but I know him first hand and he is far from the choir boy especially when i comes to recruiting.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Are you talking about the recruit we replaced with someone who was more highly regarded?

Yes, he is. And maybe Warren is or isn't a "better" recruit. The point is that we were not able to hang on to Mister, as badly as we wanted to and as hard as we tried. Try to follow along.

Last edited:

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I really don't think that Bobby was "stabbing Paul in the back". He coaches at Notre Dame. Notre Dame wants the absolute best talent they can get, and that is exactly what Allen is and Bobby is just doing his job. Shoot, look what ND has done with receivers in the past, why wouldn't they push Allen hard? I've got nothing against Bobby. He took a huge leap in the coaching ranks and he's doing quite well for himself.

501Clone

Mar 10, 2010
Ames, IA
He was one of the biggest stars in the CIML, of course the media was in his face. That's what happens. He never once declined any media request in HS and nobody outside of Marty even tried to say he was flipping his commitment, they were just reporting the story.

Can't tell if you are serious or not...

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I agree on the media. As is with most things, they can usually shove it.

As far as ND and Iowa, it's a two way street and thats the way college recruiting is now. Rhoads can say what he wants to them, but for those saying Bobby Douglas backstabbed him are a little ridiculous.

Bobby and the Iowa recruiter are doing their jobs. If they don't get the good commits, they will likely be out of a job. So if they think there is a chance they can get a kid (in hindsight, it was obvious he wasn't switching), but they will and should go after him.

As I've said before I have a friend that works in the athletic department and it is not ridiculous at all. From what he was telling me it turned very negative and very personal towards CPR. It appeared it was the definition of backstabbing. And it's Bob Elliot BTW not Douglas.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Maybe Paul thought he had a couple "buddies" saying things they shouldn't.
7356346.jpeg

What a punchable face.

Once a Hawkeye, always a Hawkeye.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Actually he declined a lot of interview requests. He only gave interviews to select reporters because he got tired of them twisting his words and second guessing his decision.

As for those saying it is a 2 way street with ND & IA recruiting Lazard while he was committed and us recruiting Jeff Jones while he was committed to Minn. There is a HUGE difference, we weren't negative recruiting while that's all IA and ND did. The DMR had an article a while back that makes Elliott look like a choir boy but I know him first hand and he is far from the choir boy especially when i comes to recruiting.

Please provide me a link with the details of this negative recruiting Iowa and ND did, as well as one that shows we were always positive recruiting Jones. This is the way this stuff works when it comes to highly regarded recruits. Did you read some of the stories over the last week about recruits flipping? Would guess 30% of the top 100 players may have done it.

I'm going to have to agree with other posters here. My son came in and told me he saw this on Twitter and all I could do was cringe. Embarrassing and small time.

RoseBowlBound

Sep 13, 2011
Iowa City via WDM

I can guarantee you that every school in the country negatively recruits.

Hawkaholic

May 14, 2013
I'm glad there's a handful of Cyclone fans in here who seem to have a grip on reality. This is CPR. I get that. He's emotional. He often times says what's on his mind. However, sometimes he would be much better off thinking about what he's about to say before he says it.

Please correct me if I'm wrong....

1. Did Iowa State land everyone they were targeting? If the answer is no then clearly the Iowa State coaching staff also wasted time recruiting players who went elsewhere. Hypocrite.

2. Has Iowa State pursued players who were committed to other programs? If the answer is yes, then how was the recruiting that Iowa and ND did any different than what ISU and CPR himself does? Hypocrite.

Obviously, we all know the answer to these questions. I just find it incredibly hypocritical for CPR to feel the need to make these comments to the media. Now I'm a Hawk fan. I understand why some Cyclone fans would think this is kind of funny. However, CPR is calling other schools out for recruiting tactics that every single college football program in the country use including Iowa State.

In my opinion, it just isn't necessary. It isn't professional. It's borderline obnoxious, and it's simply CPR trying to put lipstick on a pig. You guys can call me a troll all you want, but read the thread. There are Cyclone fans saying the same things I'm saying. CPR needs to produce results and use those to pump up the fan base. This kind of crap should be getting old.

hiltonmagic25

Nov 26, 2013
I was getting upset watching it honestly. I am liking CPR less and less. Tired of the drama. Just freakin win football games.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Please provide me a link with the details of this negative recruiting Iowa and ND did, as well as one that shows we were always positive recruiting Jones. This is the way this stuff works when it comes to highly regarded recruits. Did you read some of the stories over the last week about recruits flipping? Would guess 30% of the top 100 players may have done it.

I'm going to have to agree with other posters here. My son came in and told me he saw this on Twitter and all I could do was cringe. Embarrassing and small time.

I don't have a link but what I do have is first hand knowledge from a family member.

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
When will Jerry Kill go on a rant about getting Jeff Jones and how ISU wasted a lot of time and money going after him?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
So much butthurt from all sides. Butthurt ISU coaches becomes butthurt media, becomes butthurt Hok fan becomes butthurt Clone fan. Butthurt for everyone!

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
I see Walters and Pat Hardy going at it on Twitter.

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
isufbcurt probably has more knowledge of what actually goes on in recruiting and with this specific situation that anyone else in this thread.

I didn't take his comments to be as much shots at ND and Iowa (even though he probably wanted them to be) as they were to the media that seemed to be pushing for Lazard to change his commitment to another school.