Couple of high school basketball "situation" videos

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
These are both crazy.

#1 A 22yr old assistant coach impersonates a 13 yr old and plays in the game when that player out of town and missed the game.

#2 A PA announcer tells the crowd to "shut up, get on the court, put on a striped shirt and do it yourselves since you are so good at it"

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
1A - Why is there video that looks to be a broadcast of a JV girls basketball game? It looks like the team with the 22 year old is still losing with 4 minutes to play.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I remember being a 3rd base coach on an AAU baseball team many years ago and having a parent from our own team shout his angry disagreement with my decision not to send a runner home during the game. I was so fed up with this parent that I waited for the inning to end and then I confronted him in front of all the other parents.

I told him that if he disagrees so much with my the way I coach our base runners, he's more than welcome to take my place while I sit in the bleachers and critique his performance out loud.

Never heard a word from him the rest of the season.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I remember being a 3rd base coach on an AAU baseball team many years ago and having a parent from our own team shout his angry disagreement with my decision not to send a runner home during the game. I was so fed up with this parent that I waited for the inning to end and then I confronted him in front of all the other parents.

I told him that if he disagrees so much with my the way I coach our base runners, he's more than welcome to take my place while I sit in the bleachers and critique his performance out loud.

I had a nearly identical situation coaching youth girls softball. Except the parent was a former MLB player rather known to be a loudmouth. He didn't make it to many games, so I just shrugged my shoulders and went about the game. Looking back, I wish I had called him out.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008

I umped a little bit my Junior and Senior year of high school, mostly 10 to 12 year olds. I'll never forget this 1 catcher who was scared to get to close to the plate, I kept telling him, talked to the coach in between innings, etc... 1 pitch comes right down the middle slow enough that the kid barely caught it before it hit the dirt. Strike. Queue Karen "That hit the dirt, Blue!" over and over again and not shutting up the rest of the game.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
The majority of people I see around me yelling at HS games don't have a clue of the rules, I'd love to see those folks try to ref a game.

Exactly this. You see it in the game day threads on here too.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
The only time I'd be ok with fan intervention is if a kid is being dangerous and hurting players with the way they are playing.

My daughter played in a soccer match last year against a team that was clearly overmatched. Our side called off the dogs and were not actively trying to run up the score. One of the girls on the other team was clearly frustrate and ended up cleating two of my daughter's teammates above the knee, drawing blood each time. It was clearly intentional and dangerous and the ref hadn't issued any cards or warnings whatsoever. The fans on both sides were getting pretty heated.

Our coach eventually corralled the ref and told him that he was going to pull the team off the field if the ref didn't intervene. The ref talked to both coaches and the game continued, but it was physical with a lot of hard fouls. Thankfully nobody got seriously hurt, but I kept debating whether or not to get involved or pull my daughter from the game. I knew she would have been mortified, so I didn't do anything, but that was tough to do as a parent.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
The majority of people I see around me yelling at HS games don't have a clue of the rules, I'd love to see those folks try to ref a game.
This is not meant to bash refs. There is a problem that needs to be addressed on both sides. I have friends that refs and I respect the hell out of them and anyone who does that work.

While this is true sometimes, I wonder if the refs know the rules, sad as that seems. There are a lot of good refs, there are also a lot of bad ones. The bad ones usually make matters worse. Treat both teams the same, call the game the same, if it gets too rough put an end to it. If someone asks what they did wrong or why that was this or that, tell them. If a player or coach is getting upset with you talk to them, tell them the issue. Don't let one bad call turn into 3 bad calls. Treat both coaches the same. If you need help, ask for it. Control the game. Be honest, if you **** up own it. I get refs are in a tough spot but at times they do themselves no favors. Good officials do make bad calls and mistakes, not as many as bad ones but they do. They do have a way of making those mistakes not look so bad. We really need to find away for good officials to work with young newer ones to help them through the process. I can tell you a lot of cases of how good officials handle situations, the problem is bad ones don't handle the situation at all, until it gets out of hand.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I was going to ask how anybody could believe that woman is 13, but then I realized I don't think any of the other girls look 13.

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
Kid at a local game last night got told by a ref to change his jersey due to blood from someone else on it. Tells coach kid needs to come out or call a timeout. Coach calls timeout, kid swaps jerseys with one of the JV players but is in process of putting the jersey on standing 2 feet into the court during timeout and gets T'd up by the same ref.

This wouldn't have been a huge issue other than it is one of the best players on the team and he already had a Tech for dropping an F-bomb. The other ref's told the one he couldn't throw the kid for doing something he told him to do so they transferred the Tech to the coach.

Messed up all the way around.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I was going to ask how anybody could believe that woman is 13, but then I realized I don't think any of the other girls look 13.
I don't understand how a 13 year old is on a high school JV team. Those players are typically 15-17 years old.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Kid at a local game last night got told by a ref to change his jersey due to blood from someone else on it. Tells coach kid needs to come out or call a timeout. Coach calls timeout, kid swaps jerseys with one of the JV players but is in process of putting the jersey on standing 2 feet into the court during timeout and gets T'd up by the same ref.

This wouldn't have been a huge issue other than it is one of the best players on the team and he already had a Tech for dropping an F-bomb. The other ref's told the one he couldn't throw the kid for doing something he told him to do so they transferred the Tech to the coach.

Messed up all the way around.
I have been a BB official since 1984 and find it hard to believe that is ALL that occurred. From your description there is no basis for a Technical foul assessment. Did said player make further statements toward the officials? Either way, best action is lot's of discretion if said player has already been assessed one technical.