Couldn't we cash in?

Whitey

Apr 4, 2006
Ames, IA
If we have 4 teams remaining in the Big XII when it's all said and done, I believe the other 8 teams have to pay $10 million each.
That leaves the remaining teams with some money to use to get other teams to join. Pay their conference buyouts, and bring them to the Big XII. If the conference doesn't fold, wouldn't we keep the BCS guarantee?

kcclones

Mar 23, 2006
Kansas City
Rumors are Texas is trying to gather enough teams to Dissolve the Big 12 and this would make it so no payout is needed.

kcclones

Mar 23, 2006
Kansas City
It hasn't been mentioned by national media, but on 810 radio yesterday they said because the contract is to be handled in the state of delaware it only takes a majority to dissolve. all others are saying it takes 9 teams. not sure where they got that but they had a lawyer on talking about it.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Rumors are Texas is trying to gather enough teams to Dissolve the Big 12 and this would make it so no payout is needed.

Maybe I'm way off on this but I can't see JP and GG missing on this last paycheck. I think Mo, Kst and KU most likely feel the same way along with the Baylor, CU loser.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I have found to pretty solid sources that say 9 teams have to vote to dissolve to cancel the buyouts. One was linked on mogoblog.com. It was a link to the orangeblood site. I would assume that if they are saying it there, there is at least a chance it is true.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

It should take 9 votes so Texas can try all they want but there is a snowball's chance in hell that the 4/5 teams being left at the alter go along with Texas.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
At this point, I don't know whether the Big Ten takes Mizzou. The Big Ten could just take Nebraska and be done. And leave Mizzou at the altar.

If that happens, and it could, then you would have ISU, K-State, Kansas, and Mizzou. I think Baylor is left out in the cold unless somehow the SEC expands and takes aTm.

With a coalition of those four former BCS schools, we would need to look at our options. Would we all go to the Mountain West, with their own TV network? The Mountain West would probably move to AQ status with the addition of those 4 teams. Or even 3 teams. And where does Mizzou go?

At any rate, we need to hitch our horses to K-State and Kansas. Go where they go. Unless somehow a miracle happens and we get a Big Ten lifeline.

If 4 teams stay, do the other teams leaving pay $10 million a piece to be split up amongst the remaining teams?

It could happen, as I think Mizzou got jilted........again.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
If we have 4 teams remaining in the Big XII when it's all said and done, I believe the other 8 teams have to pay $10 million each.
That leaves the remaining teams with some money to use to get other teams to join. Pay their conference buyouts, and bring them to the Big XII. If the conference doesn't fold, wouldn't we keep the BCS guarantee?

Is it $10 million for sure? Somewhere I read anywhere from $200,000 to $10 million, but I wasn't sure what the conditions were for that range.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
It hasn't been mentioned by national media, but on 810 radio yesterday they said because the contract is to be handled in the state of delaware it only takes a majority to dissolve. all others are saying it takes 9 teams. not sure where they got that but they had a lawyer on talking about it.

I've heard this too. Get 7 teams (Neb plus 6 to Pac 10) to vote to dissolve the conference, and nobody will have to pay the buyout.

I don't know if that's true or not.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
It should take 9 votes so Texas can try all they want but there is a snowball's chance in hell that the 4/5 teams being left at the alter go along with Texas.

So if it takes 9 teams to dissolve....with 6 going to the PAC 10, maybe to get Nebraska in the Big 10, the Big 10 would have to take 3 Big 12 teams. In comes ISU! :wink:

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
It takes 9 to change the by-laws including the buy-out provisions. However, I didn't previously consider dissolution which I believe would be 7 votes unless the articles state differently.

Cloner97

Apr 11, 2006
That would be nice, but unfortunately the reality is that Nebraska and the South will leave unscathed and not have to pay a dime to blow up the conference

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
What everybody is forgetting is that Texas gets 5 votes in anything that happens with the Big 12.

You really think Baylor is going to vote to dissolve the Big12 and not get any money or a conference out of it?

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
You really think Baylor is going to vote to dissolve the Big12 and not get any money or a conference out of it?

I ment it as in U of Texas gets 5 votes and everybody else gets 1 vote. And no I would not be surprised if Texas works something with Baylor to get them to vot to dissolve.