Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Her insurance didn't cover a rental until she had a replacement vehicle? Or worst case, she couldn't rent a vehicle on her own dime for a few days until she could schedule an appointment to look at cars?

Even if you have rental car coverage (which not all will have signed up for that add-on) Insurance companies will only give you about a week once your vehicle is declared a total loss, so you have to move pretty quickly on new vehicle shopping.

Reactions: Macloney

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
But you are talking about an extreme case here, no one is denying that it does not happen, what we are saying its unusual and not common place.
And they are business as usual, that is what many of us are trying to point out.

And by “many of us” you mean “you” and that’s it. You are fighting this battle alone.

Not to mention, they aren’t “business as usual.” Most have requested you make an appointment to meet with a salesperson if you need a new vehicle and have limited the number of people that can be in the showroom at once. But keep beating the horse that’s already dead.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
And by “many of us” you mean “you” and that’s it. You are fighting this battle alone.

Not to mention, they aren’t “business as usual.” Most have requested you make an appointment to meet with a salesperson if you need a new vehicle and have limited the number of people that can be in the showroom at once. But keep beating the horse that’s already dead.

So then you personally know many people that have had a car wreck during this crisis and totaled their vehicle needing a new one.

Would you care to list the number, I am curious. Because I am sure the rest of the board knows of few if any. Myself, none.

But tell us how may people totaled their car this past month and need a replacement.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
New positive tests reported (and new negative tests) are just that - newly reported. It does not mean that's how many positive and negative tests were done the previous day. You can compare those numbers all you want with deaths, etc. and it still means nothing except tallies as of the previous day.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
New positive tests reported (and new negative tests) are just that - newly reported. It does not mean that's how many positive and negative tests were done the previous day. You can compare those numbers all you want with deaths, etc. and it still means nothing except tallies as of the previous day.
Correct, it is the number of results reported for the 24 hr period, 1800 hrs to 1800 hrs I believe. Sounds like the results can be for tests performed anywhere from the previous 24 hrs out to 5 days.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
So then you personally know many people that have had a car wreck during this crisis and totaled their vehicle needing a new one.

Would you care to list the number, I am curious. Because I am sure the rest of the board knows of few if any. Myself, none.

But tell us how may people totaled their car this past month and need a replacement.

People need to purchase cars at nearly all times because even during something like this some level of transportation still remains essential. How are you not getting this?

And then you add leases on top of that that have to be turned back in and replaced. Last year there were roughly 4.3 million leased cars turned back in, meaning for each month there are hundreds of thousands of people who need to replace their cars.

Dealers have adapted to minimize risk, including offering appointments, offering delivery, etc, but they will always have to remain open as an essential service. And no one owes you a certain number to justify it either, because as long as that number is nonzero it will still remain an essential service.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Reading your posts and having managed a car dealership in a town of 5K, it is apparent that you either have never had to deal with this, or have not lived in a small town.
Gladbrook was about 900 people for the 6 years we lived on the edge of town. I think its shrunk since we left in about 2010.

ETA: I have yet to find a car dealership that, when asked, didn't offer some kind of rental/loaner program. Even small/independent/used car dealers.

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Gladbrook was about 900 people for the 6 years we lived on the edge of town. I think its shrunk since we left in about 2010.

So you understand that many of the small town dealerships like would be in Gladbrook (not sure where that is) don't have rental cars so that requires you to travel 30-50 miles to get a rental. They may have loaners, but usually not for a whole week or so. Many times body shops are 2 weeks or more out and the repair takes 3-4 days to bake and be done right. Insurance companies have a limit on the amount they pay daily also, rarely covers what rentals in this area charge. Limited to usually a week to 10 days also, usually takes longer than that.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
People need to purchase cars at nearly all times because even during something like this some level of transportation still remains essential. How are you not getting this?

And then you add leases on top of that that have to be turned back in and replaced. Last year there were roughly 4.3 million leased cars turned back in, meaning for each month there are hundreds of thousands of people who need to replace their cars.

Dealers have adapted to minimize risk, including offering appointments, offering delivery, etc, but they will always have to remain open as an essential service. And no one owes you a certain number to justify it either, because as long as that number is nonzero it will still remain an essential service.
FWIW I agree that there will be people who need to buy a vehicle over the next couple months - there is just too much need for personal transportation in the US. But I think there are better ways to handle it, given the pandemic, than letting a bunch or people mill around in showrooms and be in repeated close quarters on test drives and those little cubicles. Everybody's inventory is online now so there's not even a reason to drive around the lot. Worst case you call someone and ask if they have anything that you're looking for that hasn't been posted yet.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006

ETA: I have yet to find a car dealership that, when asked, didn't offer some kind of rental/loaner program. Even small/independent/used car dealers.

Having a loaner program and having a loaner available are two completely different things, believe me. Also. what is so advantageous regarding the contact involved in setting up a loaner/rental vehicle vs the contact involved with dealing on a replacement vehicle? Maybe that wasn't the point you were making. I just can't agree with forcing somebody to rent a vehicle until we're through this when they're perfectly capable of buying/ financing a replacement.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
FWIW I agree that there will be people who need to buy a vehicle over the next couple months - there is just too much need for personal transportation in the US. But I think there are better ways to handle it, given the pandemic, than letting a bunch or people mill around in showrooms and be in repeated close quarters on test drives and those little cubicles. Everybody's inventory is online now so there's not even a reason to drive around the lot. Worst case you call someone and ask if they have anything that you're looking for that hasn't been posted yet.

Like I mentioned earlier, the dealership we deal with is by appointment for sales and drop off for service. I know another local dealer that does appointments also, but can only speak for the ones that I know.

Also, rental and loaner are totally two different things. You can't charge for a loaner. If you charge, it has to be a rental and that has to be a sidelined vehicle, under rental insurance policies and can not be sold for a minimum of 6-9 months since the entry into the rental program.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
What is your SIP policies? Where do you live? Are they different than what Iowa is currently doing?

What are?

I live in Douglas County, KS. We are supposed to leave only for essentials and exercise. The police are not stopping anyone and will not stop anyone without the probable cause that they would have needed before this.

Restaurants can be open for carryout, curbside or delivery. Grocery stores, gas stations, pharmacies, auto parts, liquor stores, vape, tobacco and CBD stores, hardware stores, health care, car dealers are all open. It gets a little fuzzy and I had a business owner tell me the other day she was allowed to be open because she sold food and soap at her European market. Hobby Lobby and Michael's have been the only really questionable businesses on whether they are or are not essential, we had a story in our paper about it. Two stores that were not essential and couldn't continue their curbside service were our toy store and record store. Both are now offering local delivery though.

People are using common sense and it is working well. We have 120,000 people and have only have 5 communicable cases since our first case that was traced to travel on March 12. All other cases have been traced to travel or direct contact.

I can't speak to how this is different from Iowa.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I can't believe there are still people here defending Reynolds but the "it's just the flu" crowd seems to move on to a new argument every few days, so here we are.

It defies all common sense that Reynolds would allow herself to stand in opposition to every public health expert in America not on her payroll if there is truly no difference between her current policy and a true SIP. She is holding the line on this for a reason.

It defies all common sense that Reynolds would argue she's essentially already got an SIP by a different name, meanwhile her own department of public health has established criteria to trigger an SIP once certain thresholds are met.

Why would you need to develop criteria to trigger a policy you've already got in place?

More people are going to die from tobacco use this year than The Rona.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort

Long story short, broken (crushed) windshield on a truck so new the glass had to come from the factory to the dealer. Dodge dealer in Iowa town of 7,000 that has since closed. Since the glass was coming from the factory it was going to take a few days and they gave me their only loaner car. The axle broke about a mile from the dealership. I ended up having to get a ride 35 miles to Indianola to get a rental. Also, I had to drive 30 miles from where I hit the turkey that crushed the windshield to get to the closest Dodge dealer. Chariton had no auto glass place or dealer.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

That is not what he said, it was clearly stated, person wrecked vehicle, and therefore needed a new one.

We are in a pandemic, so you are telling me that car companies could not have extended the lease for a few months?

We are all making excuses of why have to be out, instead of worrying about others and just staying at home.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
That is not what he said, it was clearly stated, person wrecked vehicle, and therefore needed a new one.

We are in a pandemic, so you are telling me that car companies could not have extended the lease for a few months?

We are all making excuses of why have to be out, instead of worrying about others and just staying at home.
They can’t just do that without the consumer agreeing.

“Congratulations, we’ve extended the lease on your depreciating vehicle by 49 years!!!!”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron