Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Yes, I have explained it in this thread, but here we are again.

My kid's friend's mom, who is single, totaled her car last month. Totaled. Not just insurance definition totaled, but miracle nobody was killed totaled. She needed a new or replacement car to live a normal life in our very spread out city. Google maps estimates my walk to my Dr.'s office at just over an hour or 3.4 miles. We have two Wal-Marts, which I avoid at all costs, but it estimates them at 3.5 and 6.1 miles from my house. My kid broke his wrist last Fall, his Doctor is 5.2 miles from my house, don't worry, I will just call an ambulance because that will be cheap and a good use of resources. I have no friends here, I have no family here. Do I need to go on?

I am not saying that it should be business as usual at all car dealers, but I am saying that they provide a service that should, in some capacity be available at this time. If that is one person letting one person in at a time and maintaining proper distancing, no contact, home delivery, etc., I don't know. But there will be circumstances when people will need cars and fixing cars isn't always a viable option.
Her insurance didn't cover a rental until she had a replacement vehicle? Or worst case, she couldn't rent a vehicle on her own dime for a few days until she could schedule an appointment to look at cars?

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
We overhauled how we book and board planes after 9/11 and I'm pretty sure flight travel dipped for a while after.

But that was a concrete, physical thing we could see happening, instead of something like this that people are treating like a myth or weather pattern.

After 9/11, was there anyone out there saying, 'Well, 6,000 people die every day in America, X amount were murdered the same day, planes crash all the time'? Not that I remember. It was shocking and sudden, and people realized how vulnerable they were and changed their behavior. And people are for this, but plenty aren't despite it happening RIGHT NOW.

There is a huge difference in the dissemination of information today than there was in 2001

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Her insurance didn't cover a rental until she had a replacement vehicle? Or worst case, she couldn't rent a vehicle on her own dime for a few days until she could schedule an appointment to look at cars?

Anecdotal evidence ALWAYS trumps science and math and logic

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Ah that could be. I only started tracking # of tests on Wednesday. FWIW, 815, 795, 777, 601.

That slight drop in tests administered could mean maybe less people are feeling a need to be tested?

Other places had their lines start to bend well before the US...let's hope that starts to happen soon.

d300c76870609fbd18f4b23a9f736cb8

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Are car dealerships crammed with people or something in Iowa?

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
That slight drop in tests administered could mean maybe less people are feeling a need to be tested?

And the %age of positive tests increases each day, so medical personnel may be getting a better handle on whom exactly to test.

Other places had their lines start to bend well before the US...let's hope that starts to happen soon.

Need NY/ NYC to start turning I think before

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Yeah they carry a lot of the weight. A bigger population and more hot spots I'm sure prolongs it.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018

I think they are sitting on tests and not using them. I know of at least a handful of people around the 25-30 year old age who had some symptoms and they were told they would not be tested and were just told to quarantine for 14 days.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Reading your posts and having managed a car dealership in a town of 5K, it is apparent that you either have never had to deal with this, or have not lived in a small town.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It's just a guess on my end but it would seem reasonable when looking at new cases in each state today vs. yesterday.

Governor mentioned in a press conference a couple days ago that there were around 1100 test available in Iowa. Guessing maybe they are hand to mouth on test and not wanting to run out. Good chance that many tests are getting pushed to the NY metro, Michigan and other hot spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron