Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Part of the problem is what’s defined as “social distancing.” Wisconsin has prohibited all public and private gatherings with anyone not in your household. So that means no visiting SOs, friends, or family. That is not sustainable.

I've had several virtual happy hours. Not as good as the real thing but they definitely help. I'm fortunate that I live with my SO.

Last edited:

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
So this model is getting quite a bit of attention in today's press conference. Reynolds and her staff repeatedly discounted the model on the basis that the assumptions for Iowa are wrong - for example the model says the schools are not closed when they are. But it says right here - literally in the first FAQ - that the model assumes that places that are not doing extreme social distancing measures will be doing so within seven days.

Is her staff just incompetent or do they think we're all that dumb?

Yes

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I think most of them are assuming we don't do research ourselves. It's absolutely hilarious watching these. I'm doing it more for the sheer humor now. Nothing's going to change in my mind now. I think at this point, even if the cases and deaths reach large numbers, she'll just talk about how great of a job we're doing as a state.

She’s not talking to you. Just like the other press conference isn’t talking to you.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
You might be able to, but when the country is looking at 25% or more unemployment, it cannot keep up these distancing measures indefinitely. It goes far beyond just wanting to be around people again. Most people can deal with that. Most people can with deal staying at home unless they need to leave to go to the grocery store. I'm guessing you wouldn't think the same if you managed a restaurant, or almost any other store. That type of unemployment is going to have negative impacts on pretty much every business eventually.

Not nearly the impact of staff and their families dying

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I absolutely cannot do this indefinitely.

of course that would be why actually following sip’s, and having a governor not beholden to the people she is, would actually make it so you don’t have to.

I get you feel invincible, and live in a remote area. But the only way to get past this is to actually do the right things.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
of course that would be why actually following sip’s, and having a governor not beholden to the people she is, would actually make it so you don’t have to.
Actually the stricter the measures that are put in place, the longer it takes to get to the point of herd immunity. This is the case for any model you look at. Doing SIP, right now, doesn’t shorten the time line, it extends it. The whole thing is a balancing act, how do we achieve herd immunity while minimizing deaths. If you want to argue that current restrictions aren’t enough and will lead to hospitals being overrun, that’s a completely different debate. Of course you can also argue that we should SIP until an effective vaccine is available on a mass level, which would undoubtedly minimize the deaths from SARS-CoV-2. I’m not sure what kind of world we’d be re-entering at that point.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I just went for a walk and there's no way this was happening.
I agree, I think it's a mix of people not realizing that is part of the order and just not wanting to comply. Which kind of points to it not being sustainable.

There are options ;)

I really like that, but I love pretty much all of his stuff. I'm more of a fan of his cocktail videos though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron